Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Retailer Brand Equity on Consumers’ Purchase Intention: Evidence from Selected Supermarkets in Addis Ababa
The aim of the study is to explore the effect of retailer brand equity on supermarket consumers’ purchase intention. We quantitatively measured the effect of brand equity dimensions (i.e., brand awareness, brand image, brand quality and more of brand loyalty) on the purchase intentions of supermarket consumers. A total of 384 questionnaires were distributed to conveniently available consumers and 323 usable questionnaires were used for analysis. The findings revealed that retailer awareness, perceived retailer quality, retailer image and retailer loyalty have a significant positive effect on consumers’ supermarket purchase intentions, retail awareness being the highest influencer of purchase intention. The practical worth of the study is that it would help supermarket managers to direct their focus on brand equity dimensions while designing marketing strategies and making decisions in order to enhance market share and gain a competitive advantage through raising consumers’ purchase intention. In addition, the study assists all businesses in the retail sector to recognize the contributions of creating a strong brand as a means of getting a competitive advantage.
Brand Equity, Retailer Awareness, Retailer Image, Perceived Retailer Quality, Retailer Loyalty, Consumer Purchase Intention
- Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing brand equity. New York: The Free Press.
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211.doi:10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-t
- Anselmsson, J., Burt, S., & Tunca, B. (2017). An integrated retailer image and brand equity framework: Reexamining, extending, and restructuring retailer brand equity. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 38, 194-203. doi:10.1016/j.jretconser.2017.06.007 Arnett, D. B., Laverie, D. A., & Meiers, A. (2003).
- Developing parsimonious retailer equity indexes using partial least squares analysis: A method and applications. Journal of Retailing, 79(3), 161-170.
- Chao, R., & Liao, P. (2016). The impact of brand image and discounted price on purchase intention in outlet mall: Consumer attitude as mediator. Journal of Global Business Management 12(2), 119-128.
- Chen, M.-F. (2020). The impacts of perceived moral obligation and sustainability self-identity on sustainability development: A theory of planned behavior purchase intention model of sustainabilitylabeled coffee and the moderating effect of climate change skepticism. Business Strategy and the Environment, 29(6), 2404-2417. doi:10.1002/bse.2510 Cooper, R., & Schindler, S. (2006). Business research methods (10th ed.). New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Inc.
- Creswell, J. W. (2009). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (3rd ed.).Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Cronbach, L. J. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika, 16(3), 297-334.
- Dodds, W. B., Monroe, K. B., & Grewal, D. (1991).Effects of price, brand, and store information on buyers product evaluations. Journal of Marketing Research, 28(3), 307-319.
- Ethiopian Trade and Industry Bureau. (2019/2020).
- Fauzi, M. A. H. B. (2016). Consumers’ perception and purchase intention towards private label products of Kedai Rakyat 1 Malaysia (KR1M).
- Field, A. (2005). Discovering statistics using SPSS (2nd ed., pp. 143-217). Sage Publications.
- Field, A. (2013). Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics. Sage.
- Foroudi, P., Jin, Z., Gupta, S., Foroudi, M. M., & Kitchen, P. J. (2018). Perceptional components of brand equity: Configuring the symmetrical and asymmetrical paths to brand loyalty and brand purchase intention. Journal of Business Research, 89, 462-474. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.01.031
- Gelman, A., & Hill, J. (2007). Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models.Cambridge University Press.
- Gil-Saura, I., Ruiz-Molina, M. E., Michel, G., & CorralizaZapata, A. (2013). Retail brand equity: A model based on its dimensions and effects. The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 23(2), 111-136.
- Graciola, A. P., De Toni, D., Milan, G. S., & Eberle, L. (2020). Mediated-moderated effects: High and low store image, brand awareness, perceived value from mini and supermarkets retail stores. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 55. doi:10.1016/j.jretconser.2020.102117
- Grewal, D., Krishnan, R., Baker, J., & Borin, N. (1998).The effect of store name, brand name and price discounts on consumers’ evaluations and purchase intentions. Journal of Retailing, 74(3), 331-352.
- Hair, J., Black, W., Babin, B., Anderson, R., & Tatham, R.(2006). Multivariate data analysis (6th ed.). NJ, USA: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hair, J. F. Jr., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (1998).Multivariate data analysis (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Hanzaee, K. H., & Andervazh, L. (2012). The influence of brand loyalty on cosmetics purchases intention of Iranian female consumers. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 2(5), 5389-5398.
- Hoyer, W. D., & MacInnis, D. J. (2008). Consumer behavior (5th ed.) (revised ed., p. 672). Cengage Learning Jamil, B., & Wong, C. H. (2010). Factors influencing repurchase intention of smartphones. Journal of Marketing Research, 4(12), 289-294.
- Jamil, B., & Wong, C. H. (2010). Factors influencing repurchase intention of smartphones. Journal of Marketing Research, 4(12), 289-294.
- Joshi, R., & Yadav, R. (2016). Reciprocal effects of brand extension on brand equity: A literature review. International Journal of Marketing and Business Communication, 5(2), 20-28.
- Kapferer, J. N. (2008). The new strategic brand management: Creating and sustaining brand equity long term (4th ed). Bodmin, Cornwall: MPG Books Ltd.
- Keller, K. L. (1991). Memory and evaluation effects in competitive advertising environments. Journal of Consumer Research, 17(4), 463-476.
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22.
- Keller, K. L. (1998). Understanding brand equity: Answers to ten common branding questions. Exchange, (winter), 15-19.
- Konuk, F. A. (2018). The role of store image, perceived quality, trust and perceived value in predicting consumers’ purchase intentions towards organic private label food. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 43, 304-310. doi:10.1016/j.jretconser.2018.04.011
- Kothari, C. R. (2004). Research methodology methods and techniques. New Delhi: New Age International (P) Ltd.
- Kotler, P., & Armstrong, G. (2012). Principles of marketing (14th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Kotler, P., & Keller, K. L. (2016). A framework for marketing management (p. 352). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Kotler, P., & Keller, K. L. (2006). Marketing management (12th ed.). NJ: Upper Saddle River, Prentice Hall.
- Martineau, P. (1958). The personality of the retail store.Ministry of Trade and Industry. (2019/2020). National Bank of Ethiopia. (2019/2020). Annual Report.
- Oliver, C. (1997). Sustainable competitive advantage: Combining institutional and resource-based views. Strategic Management Journal, 18(9), 697-713.
- Pappu, R., & Quester, P. (2005). Measuring retailer equality: An empirical study. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Retailing and Sourcing 2005: Challenges and Opportunities. Philadelphia University and Birla Institute of Management Technology Pappu, R., & Quester, P. (2006). A consumer-based method for retailer equity measurement: Results of an empirical study. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 13(5), 317-329.
- Phau, I., & Lau, K. C. (2001). Brand personality and consumer self-expression: Single or dual carriageway? Journal of Brand Management, 8(6), 428-444. doi:10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540042
- Porral, C. C., Fernández, V. A. M., Boga, Ó. J., & Mangin, J. P. L. (2015). Measuring the influence of customer-based store brand equity in the purchase intention. Management Letters/Cuadernos de Gestión, 15(1), 93-118.
- Rana, S. S., Osman, A., & Othman, Y. H. (2015). Factors affecting purchase intention of customers to shop at hypermarkets. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 6(3), 429-429.
- Reichheld, F. F. (1993). Loyalty-based management.Harvard Business Review, 71(2), 64-73. Retrieved December 6, 2012, from https://www.marketingstudyguide.com/retailers-service-firms/
- Roozy, E. S. S. M. A.E. E. L., Arastoo, M. A., & Vazifehdust, H. O. S. S. E. I. N. (2014). Effect of brand equity on consumer purchase intention. Indian J. Sci.Res, 6(1), 212-217.
- Rungsrisawat, S., & Sirinapatpokin, S. (2019). Impact of brand equity on consumer purchase intent. Utopía Y Praxis Latinoamericana, 24(1), 360-369.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students. Pearson Education.
- Schoonenboom, J., & Johnson, R. B. (2017).How to construct a mixed methods research design. Kölner Zeitschrift Für Soziologie Und Sozialpsychologie, 69(Suppl 2), 107–131. doi:10.1007/ s11577-017-0454-1
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. (2009). Research methods for business: A skill-building approach (5th ed.). Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons Inc.
- Shahid, Z., Hussain, T., & Zafar, F. (2017). The impact of brand awareness on the consumers’ purchase intention. Journal of Accounting & Marketing, 6(1).doi:10.4172/2168-9601.1000223
- Shamsher, R. (2016). Store image and its impact on consumer behavior. Elk Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Retail Management, 7(2), 1-27.
- Sharma, H., & Lowalekar, V. (2017). Vehicle ownership as an influence on retail shoppers perception of Indian traditional grocery stores. International Journal of Marketing & Business Communication, 6(4), 38-35
- Smith, R. E., Chen, J., & Yang, X. (2008). The impact of advertising creativity on the hierarchy of effects. J.Advert., 37(4), 47-62.
- Solomon, G. T. (2018). The effect of brand equity on consumer purchase intention: The case of ambassador garment and trading PLCMA (Thesis, Addis Ababa University College of Business and Economics School of Commerce).
- Steeneken, F., & Ackley, D. (2012). A complete model of the supermarket business. BP Trends. Takaya, R. (2019). Antecedents analysis of purchase intention. Business and Entrepreneurial Review (BER),16(1), 1.
- Sawagvudcharee, O., Shrestha, S. R., & Mandal, S. (2018).Impact of brand on consumer decision making: Case study of beer brands in Nepal. International Journal of Research, 5(16), 1344-1356.
- Taguchi, N. (2018). Description and explanation of pragmatic development: Quantitative, qualitative,and mixed methods research. System, 75, 23-32.doi:10.1016/j.system.2018.03.010
- Tesfaye, T. (2019). The effects of brand equity dimensions on consumer purchase intention in a case of kaldi’s coffee (MA thesis, Addis Ababa University College of Business and Economics School of Commerce).
- Veal, A. J. (2006). Research methods for leisure and tourism (3rd ed.). London: Prentice Hall.
- Verhoef, P. C., Lemon, K. N., Parasuraman, A., Roggeveen, A., Tsiros, M., & Schlesinger, L. A. (2009). Customer experience creation: Determinants, dynamics and management strategies. Journal of Retailing, 85(1),31-41.
- Wu, P. C., Yeh, G. Y. Y., & Hsiao, C. R. (2011). The effect of store image and service quality on brand image and purchase intention for private label brands. Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ), 19(1), 30-39.
- Yadam, S. (2019). Factors influencing consumer choice of supermarkets in Ethiopia (MA thesis, Addis Ababa University College of Business and Economics School of Commerce).
- Yibeltal. (2018). Supermarkets, beyond the Hype.Retrieved December 6, 2020, from https://addisfortune.net/addis fortune feature/Supermarkets-beyond-the -Hype/
- Yoo, B., & Donthu, N. (2001). Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity
- scale. Journal of Business Research, 52(1), 1-14.
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N., & Lee, S. (2000). An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity.Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 28,195-211.
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1998). Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means-end model and synthesis of evidence. Journal of Marketing, 52, 2-22. doi:http:// dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- Zhu, W., Mou, J., & Benyoucef, M. (2019). Exploring purchase intention in cross-border e-commerce:A three stage model. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 51, 320-330. doi:10.1016/j.
Abstract Views: 80
PDF Views: 0