Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Impact of Technostress on Productivity in Indian Public Sector Banks
The advancements in technology implementation in organizations like banks have contributed to the stress on the employees, relating to technology and computers. This is termed as technostress. This study finds a relationship between the technostress and the performance of the employees of the Indian public sector banks from three Indian states numbering to a sample of 350 bank employees using a random sampling method. Findings from the study revealed that there exists a strong relationship between technostress factors and productivity, mostly negative, among the hypothesized relationships which are in line with many prior researches. Consistent with the extant literature, the study contributed to theoretical and managerial development.
- Ahmed, Ashfaq, Zia-ur-Rehman, Muhammad & Rashid, Majed (2011), “Assessing the Characteristics of Work-related Stress in Public Sector Organizations”, Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 2(10): 511-23.
- Bichteler, J. (1987). “Technostress in Libraries: Causes, Effects and Solutions”, The Electronic L ibrary, 5(5) : 282 -87. https:// doi.org/10.1108/eb044766
- Brillhart, Peter E. (2004), “Technostress in the Workplace: Managing Stress in the Electronic Workplace”, The Journal of American Academy of Business, Cambridge, 5(2): 302-07.
- Brod, C. (1984), Technostress: The Human Cost of the Computer Revolution. Readng, Mass.: Addison-Wesley.
- Chandra, S., Shirish, A., Srivastava, S. C. (2019), “Does Technostress Inhibit Employee Innovation? Examining the Linear andCurvilinear Influence of Technostress Creators”, Communications of the Association for Information Systems , 2 9 9 331. https://doi.org/10.17705/1cais.04419
- Chen, L. & Muthitacharoen, A. (2016), “An Empirical Investigation of the Consequences of Technostress”, Information Resources Management Journal, 29 (2): 14-36. https:/ /doi.org/10.4018/irmj.2016040102
- De Sivatte, I., Gordon, J. R., Olmos, R., & Simon, C. (2018), “Effects of Job Experience and Site Experience on Job Performance”, Academy of Management Proceedings, 2018 (1): 15833.https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2018.15833abstract
- Dragano, N. & Lunau, T. (2020).,”Technostress at Work and Mental Health: Concepts and Research Results”, Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 33(4): 407-13.
- Gorman, Michael (2001), “Technostress and Library Values”, Library Journal, 126(7): 4850.
- Hunter, L. W.& Thatcher, S. M. (2007), “Feeling the Heat: Effects of Stress, Commitme n t, an d Job Exp e ri en ce o n Jo b Performance”, Academy of Management Journal, 50(4): 953-68. https://doi.org/ 10.5465/amj.2007.26279227
- Jena, R. (2015), “Impact of Technostress on Job Satisfaction: An Empirical Study among Indian Academicians”, The International Technology Management Review, 5(3): 117. https://doi.org/10.2991/itmr.2015.5.3.1
- Khan, A. & Mahapatra, M. (2017), “The Impact of Social Media as Technostress Inhibitor on Employee Productivity”, Proceedings of the 2017 ACM SIGMIS Conference on Computers and People Rese arch SIGMIS-CPR ‘17. https://doi.org/10.1145/ 3084381.3084407
- Khan, M., Sarwar, S. & Khan, H. (2018), “Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Job Attitudes: Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment of Banking Sector Employees of Pakistan”, SEISENSE Journal of Management, 1(3): 28-47. https:// doi.org/10.33215/sjom.v1i3.22
- Kim, K. & Lee, K. (2017), “The Effect of Technostress on User Resistance and Enduser Performance”, Information Systems Review, 19(4): 63-85. https://doi.org/ 10.14329/isr.2017.19.4.063
- Lee, S. B., Lee, S. C.& Suh, Y. H. (2016), “Technostress from Mobile Communication and Its Impact on Quality of Life and Productivity”, Total Quality Management and, Business Excellence, 1-16. https:// doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2016.1187998
- Marwat, Anwar Khan & Khan, Salim (2010), “The Prevalence of Job Stress among Industrial Managers: A Cross Sectional Study of Managers of the Pharmaceutical Industries of Hayatabad Industrial E stat e, Peshawar, Pakistan”, Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 2(3): 338-55.
- Matthews, J. & Shulman, A. D. (2005), “Competitive Advantage in Public-sector Organizations: Explaining the Public Good/ Sustainable Competitive Advantage Paradox”, Journal of Business Research, 58(2): 232-240. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/s0148-2963(02)00498-8
- Mundia, L. (2019), “Assessment of Work-related Stress in Brunei Public and Private Sector Employees”, Journal of Public Administration and Governance, 9(4): 221. https:// doi.org/10.5296/jpag.v9i4.16100
- Park, K. T. & Noh, W. (2018), “The Influence of Job Stress and Managerial Efficacy on Job Satisfaction among Korean Women Managers: Focusing on the Moderating Effect of Managerial Efficacy”, Stress, 26(4): 3273 1 . https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2018.26.4.327
- Ragunathan, T.S.,Tarafdar, M.,Ragunathan, B. S. & Tu, Q. (2008), “The Consequences of Technostress for End Users in Organizations: Conceptual Development and Empirical Validation”, Information Systems Research, 19(4): 417-433. https:// doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0165
- Rahimi, E. (2008), “Survey of Organizational Job S t r essamo n g Physical Education Managers”, Psychological Reports, 102(1): 7 9 - 8 2 .https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.102.1.79-82
- Sunanda, D. K. (2018), “Impact of Organizational Commitment on Employee Job PerformanceA Study in Banking Sector”, International Journal of Research in Management, 2(8). https://doi.org/10.26808/ rs.rm.i8v2.02
- Tarafdar, Monideepa, Ragu-Nathan, Bhanu S., Ragu-Nathan, T.S. & Tu, Qiang (2005), “Exploring the Impact of Technostress on Productivity”, Proceedings of the 36th Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Ins Foreword, 12, 13771-13776.
- Tarafdar, Monideepa, Tu, Qiang, Ragu-Nathan, Bhanu S. & Ragu-Nathan, T.S. (2007), “The Impact of Technostress on Role Stress and Productivity”, Journal of Management Information Systems, 24(1): 301-28.
- Tarafdar, M., Tu, Q. & Ragu-Nathan, T. (2010a), “Technostress Questionnaire”, PsycTESTS Dataset. https://doi.org/10.1037/t53850-000
- Tarafdar, M., Tu, Q. & Ragu-Nathan, T. S. (2010b), “Impact of Technostress on End-user. Satisfaction and Performance”, Journal of Management Information Systems, 27(3):303-34. https://doi.org/10.2753/mis0742- 1222270311
- Tu, Q., Wang, K. & Shu, Q. (2005), “Computerrelated Technostress in China”. Communicationsof the ACM, 48(4): 77. https://doi.org/10.1145/1053291.1053323
- Uppal, N. (2016), “Organizational Tenure and Job Performance: Role of Continuance Commitment and Job Characteristics”, Academy of Management Proceedings, 2016(1): 13412. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2016.13412abstract
- Uppal, N. (2017), “Curvilinear Experience-performance Relationship: Role of Commitment and Job Characteristics”, Academy of Management Proceedings, 2017(1):10877.https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2017.10877abstract
- Weinert, C., Maier, C., Laumer, S. & Weitzel, T. (2019), “How Do Users Respond to Technostress? An Empirical Analysis of Proactive and Reactive Coping”, Proceedings of the 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, https://doi.org/10.24251/hicss.2019.613
- Wihler, A., Meurs, J. A., Kramer, J. & Blickle, G. (2015), “General Mental Ability and Job Stress Jointly Moderate the Job Tenurejob Performance Relationship”, Academy of Management Proceedings, 2015(1):10088. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2015.10088abstract
Abstract Views: 21
PDF Views: 0