Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Smartphone as a Means of Communication & Its Influence upon College Students
Smartphone plays a very significant role in students’ life. It is their best friend, best companion and best advisor in all aspects of their life and they feel that they cannot go without it. It has given them enormous freedom to communicate on their own terms regarding place and time. They think Smartphone has given them certain personality and status among their peers. Smartphone as a big communication media has positive as well as negative effects on students’ life. They agreed that developing relationship with someone through social media may be dangerous. It may help them in their studies and at the same time it may distract them depending on their interest and attitudes towards life.
- Belk R. W (1988), “Possessions and the Extended Self”, Journal of Consume Research, 15 (2): 139-68
- Bharti, J. (2017), “100 Indians in IS, but 50 of Diaspora: Intel”, Times of India, November 27:16
- Bureau Report (2017), “Internet Should Not Become a Playground for Terrorism”, The Economic Times, November 24:16
- Farley, H., Murphy, A., Johnson, C., Carter, B., Lane, M., Midgley, W., Hafeez-Baig, A., Dekeyster, S., & Koronios, A. (2015), “How Do Students Use Their Mobile Devices to Support Learning? A Case Study from an Australian Regional University”, Journal of Interactive Media in Education. 2015(1), p.Art. 14. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/jime.ar
- Goodrich, T. (2014), “Cell phone Addiction Is ‘an Increasingly Realistic Possibility”, Baylor Study of College Students, Baylor: Media Communications. Retrieved from:https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action= story&story=145864
- Griffin. A. (2017,), “Tied to Your phone? It Can Make You Anxious and Tired”, Times of India, December 2:13
- Griffiths, M. P. (2000), “Does Internet and Computer ‘Addiction’ Exist? Some Case Study Evidence”, Cyberpsychology Behavior, 3 (2): 211-18
- Ling, R. & Yttri, B. (2005), “Control, Emancipation and Status: The Mobile Telephone in the Teen’s Parental and Peer Group Control Relationships”, in R. Kraut (Ed.), Information Technology at Home, Oxford: Retrieved from:http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/ viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.88.6132&rep=rep1&type=pdf on 14/12/2017
- Ling, R. (2007), “Children, Youth, and Mobile Communication”, Journal of Children & Media, 1(1): 60-67.
- Malhotra, N. (2007), Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation (5th Ed.), Pearson Education, Inc. New Delhi
- National Safety Council (NSC, 2015), Texting & Driving Accident Statistics, Retrieved from: https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cellphonestatistics.html
- Nath V. S. (2017), Industry Outlook for the Indian Telecom & Broadcast Industry, Frost & Sullivan, New Delhi, available at: https://ww2.frost.com/files/3614/9140/7078/An_Exclusive_Whitepaper_by_Frost.pdf
- Pearson Student Mobile Device Survey (2015), National Report: College Students, Available at: https://www.pearsoned.com/wpcontent/uploads/2015-Pearson-Student-Mobile-Device-Survey-College.pdf. Retrieved on 14/12/2017 .
- Rackham, A. (2017), Jaccquiline Wilson: Children Feel More Worried Than They Used to, BBC News (November 26, 2017), Retrieved from: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42094084 on 26/11/ 2017
- Saha, A. K. & Chakrabarty, P. (2012), “Professional Women at Work: The Challenges and Opportunities in India”, Management Today: An International Journal of Management Studies, 2(1): 35-42
- Smith, A. (2012), “Part IV: Cell phone Attachment and Etiquette, Pew Research Centre: Internet & Technology”, Retrieved from: http://www.pewinternet.org/2012/11/30/part-iv-cell-phone-attachment-and-etiquette/
- Statista, 2017), “Smartphone User Penetration as Percentage of Total Global Population from 2014 to 2020”, Retrieved from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/203734/global-smartphone-penetration-per-capita-since-2005/ on 12/12/2017
- Times News Network (2017), “Rural India Saw 22% Jump in Internet Use in One Year: UNICEF”, Times of India, December 12:10
Abstract Views: 47
PDF Views: 1