Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Isolation, Production and Application of Bacterial Pectinase for Industrial Use
Production of microbial enzymes at the industrial scale and their commercialization has gained a lot of focus and importance. Some of the industrially important enzymes from microbial origin include lipases, amylases, proteases, xylynases, pectinases etc. The objective of the study was production and application of bacterial pectinase for industrial use (clarification of fruit juices). Here the isolation of microorganism and characterization was done, then pectinase assay was performed and finally fruit juice was clarified using this enzyme. Here decayed orange peel was used as the sample and it was collected from a local market, South Kalamsseri- Cochin. The collected decayed orange part was subjected to serial dilution in order to isolate the organism. The dilutions were then plated on appropriate media (pecin agar media) and spread plate was performed. After the incubation time, colonies with zone were obtained which showed the production of pectinase enzyme. These isolated colonies were then inoculated to the petri plate containing pectin agar media and streak plate was performed. After 24 h incubation, the isolated colonies were subjected to Gram’s staining. It was Gram negative bacilli. The biochemical characterization (IMViC test) was done and VP Citrate tests were positive. Then the colonies were inoculated in Pectinase Production Broth. After 24 h incubation, the media was centrifuged for the isolation of enzymes. The enzyme assay was done by titration technique and the enzyme activity was found to be 0.78 U. This isolated enzyme was used for the clarification of apple juice and lime juice. According to the findings obtained from the study, the clarification of fruit juice by the use of bacterial pectinase is most cost effective and yield good results for industrial use.
Apple Juice Clarification, Enzyme, Fruit Juice, Gram’s Staining, Lime Juice, Pectinase.
- Bhardwaj, V. and Garg, N. Production, purification of pectinase from Bacillus sp. MBRL576 isolate and its application in extraction of juice. Int. J. Sci. Res., 2014, 3, 648-652.
- Priya, V. and Sashi, V. Pectinase enzyme producing microorganisms. Int. J. Sci. Res. Pub., 2014, 4, 1-4.
- Tapre, A. R. and Jain, R.K. Pectinases: Enzymes for fruit processing industry. Int. Fd. Res. J., 2014, 21, 447-453
- Beulah, D., Sunitha, E.M. and Srilakshmi, T. Production, purification and assay of pectinase enzyme from Aspergillus niger. Helix, 2015, 2, 673-667.
- Aaisha, G.A. and Barate D.L. Isolation and identification of pectinolytic bacteria from soil samples of akola region, India. Int. J. Cur. Micro. App. Sci., 2016, 5, 514-521.
- Sharma, H.P., Patel, H. and Sharma, S. Enzymatic extraction and clarification of juice from various fruits- A review, Trends in Post Harvest. Technol., 2014, 2, 01-14.
- Durairajan, B. and Sankari, P.S. Studies on the utilization of fruit peels for pectinase production using different fungal species by solid state fermentation. J. Phar. Bio Sci., 2014, 1, 36-43.
- Rangarajan, V. and Ramakrishnan, R. Pectinase production from orange peel extracts and dried orange peel solid as substrates using Aspergillus niger. Int. J. Biotechnol. Biochem., 2010, 6, 445-453.
- Hachemi, N., Nouani, A. and Benchabane, A. Bioconversion of oranges wastes for pectinase production using Aspergillus niger under solid state fermentation. Int. J. Biomol. Agri. Fd. Biotechnol. Eng., 2015, 9, 999-1004.
- Mathur, A., Kushwaha, A., Singh, A.K. and Katiyar, A. Isolation, purification and characterization of alkaline pectinase from Bacillus subtilis isolated from soil. Pelagia Research Library, 2014, 5, 1-6.
- Rokade, D.D., Vaidya, S.L., Rehman, N.M.A. and Dixit, P.P. Screening of pectinase producing bacteria, isolated from osmanabad fruit market soil. Int. J. Int. Multidis. Stud., 2015, 2, 141-145.
- Thangarathnam, T. and Manimegalai, G. Optimization and production of pectinase using agro waste by solid state and submerged fermentation. Int. J. Current Micro. App. Sci., 2014, 3, 357-365.
- Irshad, M., Anwar, Z., Mahmood Z., Aqil, T., Mehmmod, S. and Nawaz, H. Bio-processing of agro-industrial waste orange peel for induced production of pectinase by Trichoderma viridi; its purification and characterization. Turk. J. Biochem., 2014, 39, 9-18.
- Sandhya, R. and Kurup, G. Screening and isolation of pectinase from fruit and vegetable wastes and the use of orange waste as a substrate for pectinase production. Int. Res. J. Bio. Sci., 2013, 2, 34-39.
- Gregorio, A.D., Mandalari, G., Arena, N., Nucita, F., Tripodo, M.M. and Curto, R.B.L. SCP and crude pectinase production by slurry-state fermentation of lemon pulps. Biores. Technol., 2001, 83, 89-94.
- Singh, S. and Gupta, R. Apple juice clarification using fungal pectinolytic enzyme and gelatine. Ind. J. Biotech., 2003, 3, 573-576.
Abstract Views: 34
PDF Views: 1