Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Studies on Drying of Green Chilli in Dehumidified Air Dryer
The green chilli were washed and cut into 5-7 mm long pieces. This pieces were dried in dehumidified air dryer after pretreatments namely control, blanching and sulphitation (0.5% of KMS). Green chilli dried in dehumidified air dryer from its initial moisture content 516.84-624.11 per cent (db) to final moisture content 8.61-9.85 per cent (db). The drying rate was faster in blanched samples as compared to other samples. The dehydration ratio was found to be less in control and sulphited sample as compared to blanched sample. The rehydration ratio of blanched sample was found to be lowest as compared to other sample. Green chilli dried in dehumidified air dryer was found to be better on the basis of sensory evaluation.
Drying, Chilli, Pre-Treatment, Heat Pump.
- BIS (1972). Specification for Dehydrated Peas. IS: 4624, Bureau of Indian Standards: NEW DELHI (INDIA).
- Bakane, P.H., Patel, S. and Kotwaliwale, N. (2005). Effect of pretreatment and drying ait temperature on the quality of dehydrated oyster mushroom. Pleurotus sajor-caju. Mushroom Res., 14(1): 25-31.
- Chau, K.J., Chou, S.K., Ho, J.S. and Hawlader, M.N.A. (2002). Heat pump drying: Recent developments and future trends. Drying Technol., 20(8): 1579-1610.
- Gupta, P., Ahmed, J., Raghavan, G.S.V. and Shivhare, U.S. (2003). Drying characteristics of red chilli. Agricultural Engineering Abstracts, 20(10): 1975-1987.
- Hossain, M.A. and Bala, B.K. (2007). Drying of hot chilli using solar tunnel drier. Internat. J. Food Sci. & Technol., 81(1): 85-92.
- Ihl, M., Monslaves, M. and Bifani,V. (1998). Chlorophyllase inactivation a measure of blanching efficacy and colour retention of artichok (Cynara scolymus L.). Lebensm-Wiss Technol., 31: 50-56.
- Joy, C.M., George, P.P. and Jose, K.P. (2001). Solar tunnel drying of red chillies. J. Food Sci. & Technol., 38(3): 213-216.
- Kim, H.C., Bishnoi, P.R., Hedemann, R.A., Rizvi, S.S.H. (1987). Kinetics of methane hydrate decomposition. Chem. Engg. Sci., 42(7): 1644-1653.
- Kotwaliwale, N., Bakane, P. and Verma, A. (2007). Changes in textural and optical properties of oyster mushroom during hot air drying. J.Food Engg., 78 (4): 1207-1211.
- Lee, Kong Hoon and Kim, Ook Joong (2009). Investigation on drying performance and energy saving of the batch-type heat pump dryer. Drying Technol., 27(4): 565- 573.
- Miaruddin, M., Amiruzzaman, M., Choudhury, J.C.S. and Bhuiyan, M.I.M. (1995). Effect of containers on insect damage, viability and shelf-life of dried chilli during storage. Bangladesh J. Agril. Res., 20(1): 39-45.
- Pal, U.S., Khan, M.A. and Mohanty, S.N. (2008). Heat pump drying of green sweet pepper. Drying Technol., 26(12): 1584-1590.
- Papakumari, D., Ravishankar, C., Satyanarayana, C.H.V. and Rao, B.V. (2003). Effect of chemical treatment and drying methods on drying time, pod length and pod damage of chilli (cv. 2CA 235). J. Food Sci. & Technol., 40(2): 233-235.
- Pruthi, J.S. (1993). Major spices of India: Crop management and post harvest Technology (Ed.), Indian Council of Agricultural Research: NEW DELHI (INDIA).
- Ranganna, S. (2000). Handbook of analysis quality control for ischolar_mains and vegetable products. Tata McGraw Hill. Publishing. Ltd., NEW DELHI (INDIA).
- Rocha, T., Lebert, A., Marty-Audouin, C. (1993). Effect of pre-treatment and drying conditions on drying rate and colour retention of basil. Lebensm-Wiss Technol., 26: 456-463.
Abstract Views: 314
PDF Views: 2