Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Defatted Soybean Flour on Physico-Chemical, Mineral and Sensory Quality Attributes of Chapati
Present work have been undertaken to formulate and evaluate the qualities of defatted soybean flour based Chapati. The Chapati is made up of blending of wheat flour and different proportion of defatted soybean flour. Four treatments were used with sample code T0, T1, T2 and T3 i.e. 0, 20, 30 and 40 per cent substitution of defatted soybean flour. The prepared Chapati was evaluated for its sensory acceptability using 9 point hedonic scale. It was found that treatment T2 containing 30 per cent defatted soybean flour got the highest score as compared to other treatments. Hence, this proportion of flours was used for further study. Physical analysis of Chapati revealed that weight of sample T0, T1, T2 and T3 was observed 38.4, 40.6, 41.7 and 42.9 g, respectively. Thicknesses of Chapaties were also increased from 2.3 to 2.8 mm with increasing levels of defatted soybean flour with decrease in diameter from 19 to 17.5 cm. Ash contents of sample T0, T1, T2 and T3 were 1.38, 2.32, 2.72 and 3.14 per cent, respectively. The fat contents of sample T0, T1, T2 and T3 were 1.90, 2.66, 3.12 and 3.53 per cent, respectively. The protein contents of sample T0, T1, T2 and T3 were 10.06, 19.68, 23.62 and 27.56 per cent, respectively. The fibre contents of sample T0, T1, T2 and T3 were 1.50, 2.35, 2.60 and 2.85 per cent, respectively. The carbohydrate content of sample T0, T1, T2 and T3 were 56.94, 43.03, 36.88 and 30.76 per cent, respectively. The calcium, phosphorus, manganese, iron and zinc contents of control sample were 48.67, 349.22, 2.71, 7.77 and 2.23 mg/100 g, respectively. The calcium, phosphorus, manganese, iron and zinc contents of sample (T2) were 109.36, 443.20, 2.77, 15.6 and 1.99 mg/100 g, respectively. It was concluded that the Chapati sample T2 containing 70 per cent whole wheat flour and 30 per cent defatted soybean flour was most desirable in terms of sensory and nutritional quality profile.
Defatted Soybean Flour, Wheat Flour, Protein, Minerals.
- A.A.C.C. (2000). Approved Methods of the American Association of Cereal Chemist. Am. Assoc. Cereal Chem. Inc. St. Paul. Minnesota.
- A.O.A.C. (1990). Official methods of analysis. Trends Food Science Technology. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- A.O.A.C. (2005). Official Methods of Analysis of the AOAC International, 18thEd. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Akhtar, S. and Anjum, F. M. (2007). Sensory characteristics of whole wheat mineral fortified chapattis. Pakistan J. Nutri., 6(6): 681-686.
- Alemayehu, D., Desse, G., Abegaz, K., Desalegn, B.B. and Getahun, D. (2016). Proximate, mineral composition and sensory acceptability of home made noodles from stinging nettle (Urtica simensis) leaves and wheat flour blends. Internat. J. Food Sci. & Nutri. Engg., 6(3): 55-61.
- Banureka, V. D. and Mahendran, T. (2009). Formulation of wheat - soybean biscuits and their quality characteristics. Tropical Agric. Res. & Extn., 12(2): 62-64.
- Barnwal, P., Kore, P. and Sharma, A. (2013). Effect of partially de-oiled maize germ cake flour on physico-chemical and organoleptic properties of biscuits. J. Food Process Technol., 4(4): 2-4.
- Connie, M.W. and James, R.D. (2005). The food chemistry laboratory, A manual for experimental foods, dietitics and food scientist. 2nd Ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton London New York Washington, D.C. pp. 13.
- FAO (2009). State of Food Insecurity in the World: Economic Crisis–Impacts and Lessons Learned. Food and Agriculture Organization: Rome.
- Kadam, M.L., Salve, R.V., Mehraj fatema, Z.M. and More, S.G. (2012). Development and evaluation of composite flour for messi roti/chapatti. J. Food Process Technol., 3(1): 01-07.
- Khaliduzzaman, M., Shams-ud-din and Islam, M.N. (2010). Studies on the preparation of chapatti and biscuit supplemented with potato flour. J. Bangladesh Agric. Univ., 8(1): 153-160.
- Kumar, S., Rekha and Sinha, L. (2010). Evaluation of quality characteristics of soy based millet biscuits. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 1(3): 187-196.
- Sathe, S.T., Tamhane, D.V. and Salunke, D.K. (1981). Saltine crackers. i. composition and certain physico-chemical changes during baking. Cereal Food World, 26(8): 404-406.
- Sulatana, A., Rahman, R.T., Islam, M., Rahman, M. and Alim, A. (2014). Evaluation of quality of Chapaties enriched with jackfruit seed flour and bengal gram flour. J. Environ. Sci., Toxicol. & Food Technol., 8(5): 73-78.
- Waghray, K., Gulla, S. and Bhanuteja, K. (2011). Sensory attributes of wheat (Triticum species) flour based “Chapathis” incorporated with soy flour (Glycine Max) and dates (Pheonix Dactylifera). J. Dairying Food & Home Sci., 30(4) : 262-266.
- Wani, I.A., Sogi, D.S., Sharma, P. and Gill, B. (2016).Physico-chemical and pasting properties of unleavened wheat flat bread (Chapatti) as affected by addition of pulse flour. Congent Food & Agric., 2(1): 1-9.
Abstract Views: 79
PDF Views: 0