Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Preparation of Shrikhand by Using Banana Pulp
Shrikhand is a popular fermented dish consumed by Indians during festivals and wedding occasions. Shrikhand is available in many varieties in the market with different flavors and aromas. Shrikhand is marketed with different brands and it is expected that quality of Shrikhand may vary. The present study was done on incorporation of ripened banana in Shrikhand. Banana Shrikhand sample was prepared in the laboratory. Different properties of banana Shrikhand were compared with that of branded Shrikhand. Then banana Shrikhand was subjected to various tests such as, chemical, nutritional, microbial and sensory. Banana Shrikhand is very good in taste and has better aroma than that of the standard brand of Shrikhand. Chemical, nutritional and microbial analyses are nearly equal to the standard brand. The result of sensory evaluation shows that banana Shrikhand is more acceptable because F-actual is greater than F-critical.
Banana Shrikhand, Physico-Chemical, Sensory Evaluation, Statistical Analysis.
- Adeyemi, O. S. and Olddiji, A.T. (2009). Compositional changes in banana (Musa ssp) fruits during ripening. African J. Biotechnol., 8 (5) : 858-859.
- Ahenkora, K.M., Kye, A., Marfo, K. and Banful, B. (1997). Nutritional composition of false horn Apantu pa plantain during ripening and processing. Afrrican Crop Sci. J., 5(2): 243-248. In: Adeyemi, O. S. and A.T. Olddiji (2009). Compositional Changes In Banana (Musa ssp) Fruits During Ripening. African journal of biotechnology. (http://www.academic journals.org/AJB). Volume 8 (5).
- Amerine, M.A., Paugbern, R.M. and Roesster, E.B. (1965). Principles of sensory evaluation of food. Academic press, NEWYORK, U.S.A.
- A.O.A.C. (1980). Official methods of analysis, 13th Ed. Washinghton D. C., The Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Bhowmik, Debjit, Duraivel, S., Kumar, K.P. Sampath and Umadvi, M. (2012). Traditional and medicinal uses of banana. J. Pharmacology & Phytochemistry, 1 (3) : 51-63. (www.phytojournal.com).
- Boghra, V.R. and Mathur, O.N. (2000). Physico-chemical status of major milk constituents and minerals at various stages of Shrikhand preparation. J. Food Sci. Technol., 37:111-115.
- De, S. (1980). Outlines of dairy technology.Oxferd University Press, NEW DELHI, INDIA.
- Devshete, N.G., Patil, H.D., Watharkar, R.B.and Sontake, A.T. (2012). Sensory quality of probiotic Shrikhand using Yoghurt culture. Internat. J. Proc. & Post Harvest Technol., 3 (2) : 212-214.
- Ghatak, P.N. and Dutta, S. (1998). Effect of admixing of cow and buffalo milk on the composition and sensory qualities of Shrikhand. Indian J. Nutr. Dietet., 35 : 43-46. Technol., 3 (2): 212-214.
- Jain, R.K. and Tapre, A.R. (2014). Optimization of an enzyme assisted banana pulp clarification process. Internat. Food Res. J., 21 (5) : 2043-2048. (http://www.ifrj.upm:edu.my).
- Karche, R.V., Thakare, R.V., Bhagat, A.V. and Shirsath, S.A. (2015). Microbiological quality of cow milk Shrikhand blended with sapota pulp. Internat. J. Food Agric. & Vet. Sci., 5 (1) : 18-22.
- Ketiku, A.O. (1973). Chemical composition of unripe (green) and ripe plantain (Musa paradisiaca). J. Sci. Food Agric., 24: 703-707. In: Adeyemi, O.S. and A.T. Olddiji (2009). Compositional Changes In Banana (Musa Ssp) Fruits During Ripening. African journal of biotechnology. (http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB). Volume 8 (5).
- Khin, Swe Oo and Yee, Yee Win (2011). Study on the preparation of banana chips and banana powder. Universities Res. J., 4 (3) : 415-429.
- Mehata, Meena (2013). Proximate analysis branded Shrikhand. Res. & Rev.: J. Food & Dairy Technol., 1 (2) : 9-12.
- Navita, N., Rashmi, S. and Upadhayay, P.K. (2009). Incorporation of chakka by papaya pulp in the manufacture of Shrikhand. J. Dairying, Foods & H.S., 28: 115-118.
- Patel, R.S. and Chakraborty, B.K. (1985). Reduction of curd-forming period in Shrikhand manufacturing process. Le Lait, 65 (647-648) : 55-64.
- Ranganna, S. (2014). Handbook of Analysis and Quality control for fruits and vegetable products 2nd Ed.
- Shyamala, Bellur Nagarajaiah and Prakash, Jamuna (2011). Chemical composition and antioxidant potential of peels from three verities of banana. Asian J. Food & Agro-Industry, 40 (1) : 31-46.
- Simmonds, N.N. (1966). Banana. 2nd Ed., Longman Publishers London. In: Adeyemi, O.S. and A.T. Olddiji 2009. Compositional Changes In Banana (Musa ssp) Fruits During Ripening. African journal of biotechnology. (http://www.academic journals.org/AJB). Volume 8 (5).
- Singh, Dinker, Singh, Jai, Kumar, Swashankh and Verma, Tarun (2013). Microbiological evaluation of soy fortified Shrikhand by using response surface methodology. Internat. J. Appl. Biol. & Pharmaceu. Technol., 4 (1) : 1-7.
- Swapna, G. and Chavannavar, Suvarna V. (2012). Effect of lactic acid bacteria and probiotics added Shrikhand: An indigenous milk product. Internat. J. Food Nutri. Sci., 1 (1) : 10-15.
- Swapna, G. and Chavannavar, Suvarna V. (2013). Shrikhand value-added Traditional dairy product. Internat. J. Food Nutri. Sci., 2 (4) : 45-51.
- Wall, Marisa M. (2005-2006).Ascorbic acid vitamin A, and mineral compositional of banana (Musa sp). J. Food Composition & Analysis, 19 (5) : 434-445.
Abstract Views: 151
PDF Views: 0