Open Access Subscription Access
Qualitative and Quantitative Estimation of Guggulsterone E and Z in Different Sodhit Guggul by LC-MS and HPLC Method
Objective: Guggul is the oleo-gum-resin obtained from deep incisions at the basal part of stem bark of Commiphora wightii belonging to Burseraceae family. It is very popular ancient Ayurvedic medicine used to cure various diseases. In Ayurveda guggul is always purified prior to use in different formulations. This process is known as sodhana. Guggulsterone E and Z are the prime constituents of Commiphora wightii. The main objective of this study was to identify the impact of guggul sodhana process mentioned in Ayurvedic Formulary of India (AFI) on the content of guggulsterone E and Z. The methanol extract of raw guggul and seven different sodhit guggul were qualitatively and quantitatively analysed by using LC-MS and HPLC methods. The LC-MS specrum indicated the presence of guggulsterone E&Z at m/z-313.2 in all samples with a retention time 4.8 min and 5.7 min respectively. The HPLC chromatogram at 245 nm showed guggulsterone E & Z with same retention time in all samples. The study reports that all the sodhit guggul samples contain guggulsterone E&Z. The water shodhit guggul showed 95.95% of total guggulsterone while triphala shodhit guggul showed 74.21%. It is suggested that sodhana process affects the quantity of guggulsterone E&Z but do not modify its chemical properties.
Commiphora wightii, Shodhan Dravya, Sodhana Process.
- Barve DM, Mehta AR. Clonal propagation of mature elite trees of Commiphora wightii. Plant cell, tissue and organ culture. 1993 Dec 1; 35(3):237–44. Crossref.
- Kant T, Prajapati S, Parmar AK. Efficient micropropagation from cotyledonary node cultures of Commiphora wightii (Arn.) Bhandari, an endangered medicinally important desert plant. Journal of Plant Development. 2010 Jan 1; 17:37–48.
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India (Formulations), Department of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, India; 2007. p.168–73.
- Nadkarni KM, editor. [Indian materia medica]; Dr. KM Nadkarni's Indian materia medica: with Ayurvedic, Unani-Tibbi, Siddha, allopathic, homeopathic, naturopathic and home remedies, appendices DNA indexes. Popular Prakashan; 1996. p. 167–70.
- Sastri BN. The Wealth of India. A Dictionary of Indian Raw Materials and Industrial Products. Raw Materials. The Wealth of India. A Dictionary of Indian Raw Materials and Industrial Products. Raw Materials CSIR Delhi, India; 1950. p. 313–4.
- Mukherjee PK. Quality control of herbal drugs: An approach to evaluation of botanicals. New Delhi: Horizons Pharmaceutical Publishers; 2002. p. 186– 93.
- Regupathi T, Chitra K. Physicochemical analysis of medicinal herbs, Eclipta Alba (L.) Hassk and Lippia nodiflora (Linn.). International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phytopharmacological Research. 2017 Mar 22; 4(4):249–51.
- Rajesh P, Latha S, Selvamani P, Kannan VR. Capparis sepiaria Linn-Pharmacognostical standardization and toxicity profile with chemical compounds identification (GC-MS). International Journal of Phytomedicine. 2010 Jan 1; 2(1):71–9.
- Mulla SK, Swamy P. Preliminary pharmacognostical and phytochemical evaluation of Portulaca quadrifida Linn. International Journal of Pharmtech Research. 2010; 2(3):1699–702.
- Patnia S, Saha AN. Physicochemical, phytochemical and elemental analysis of stem bark and ischolar_mains of Berberisasiatica. Adv in App Sci Res. 2012; 3(6):3624–8.
- Kumar M, Mondal P, Borah S, Mahato K. Physicochemical evaluation, preliminary phytochemical investigation, fluorescence and TLC analysis of leaves of the plant Lasia spinosa (Lour) Thwaites. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2013; 5(2):306–10.
- Jain SH, Sharma C, Khatri P, Jain A, Vaidya AN. Pharmacognostic and phytochemical investigations of the leaves of Zizyphus xylopyrus (Retz.) Willd. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2011; 3(2):122–5.
- Panda S, Kar A. Gugulu (Commiphora mukul) induces triiodothyronine production: possible involvement of lipid peroxidation. Life Sciences. 1999 Aug 13; 65(12):137–41. Crossref..
- Kulhari A, Sheorayan A, Kalia S, Chaudhury A, Kalia RK. Problems, progress and future prospects of improvement of Commiphora wightii (Arn.) Bhandari, an endangered herbal magic, through modern biotechnological tools: a review. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution. 2012 Aug 1; 59(6):1223–54. Crossref.
- Pandey MK, Singh GN, Sharma RK, Lata S. Standardization of Yakrit Plihantak Churna: An Ayurvedic polyherbal formulation. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012 Jan 1; 3(1):171–6.
- Purwantiningsih IP, Santoso D. Identification of standard parameters of kepel leaves [Stelechocarpus burahol (Bl.) Hook. F. & Th.] and the extract as raw material for anti-hyperuricemic medicaments. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2011; 4(1):149–53.
- Siddiqui MZ. Guggul: an excellent herbal panacea. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences.2011 Jan; 1(1):35–9.
- Ramawat KG, Marthur M, Dass S, Suthar S. Guggulsterone: A potent natural hypolipidemic agent from Commiphora wightii- Problems, perseverance, and prospects. Bioactive Molecules and Medicinal Plants. 2008: 101–21.
- Shishodia S, Harikumar KB, Dass S, Ramawat KG, Aggarwal BB. The guggul for chronic diseases: Ancient medicine, modern targets. Anticancer Research.2008 Nov 1; 28(6A):3647–64. PMid:19189646
- Maurya SK, Seth A, Laloo D, Singh NK, Gautam DN, Singh AK. Śodhana: An Ayurvedic process for detoxification and modification of therapeutic activities of poisonous medicinal plants. Ancient Science of Life. 2015 Apr; 34(4):188–97. Crossref. PMid:26283803 PMCid:PMC4535066
- Dikshit M. Poisonous plants as medicine after sodhana: A review. Unique Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicines. 2016 Mar-Apr; 04(02):1–4.
- Chaube A, Prajapati PK, Dixit SK. On the technique of sodhana. Ancient Science of life. 1996 Jul; 16(1):6773. PMid:22556773 PMCid:PMC3331135
- Karan M, Sarup P, Suneja V, Vasisht K. Effect of traditional ayurvedic purification processes (sodhanvidhi) of guggulu on carrageenan-induced paw oedema in rats. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences (JPBMS). 2012; 21(21):1–5.
- Kamble R, Sathaye S, Shah DP. Evaluation of antispasmodic activity of different Sodhit guggul using different sodhan process. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2008 May; 70(3):368–72. Crossref. PMid:20046749 PMCid:PMC2792506
- Taru P, Mukta A, Undale V, Bhosale A. Acute and subacute toxicity studies on sodhana processed guggul. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2013; 4:796–9.
- Fatope MO, Al-Burtomani SK, Ochei JO, Abdulnour AO, Al-Kindy SM, Takeda Y. Muscanone: a 3-O(1″, 8″, 14″-trimethylhexadecanyl) naringenin from Commiphora wightii. Phytochemistry. 2003 Apr 30; 62(8):1251–5. Crossref.
- Verma N, Singh SK, Gupta RC. Simultaneous determination of the stereoisomers of guggulsterone in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 1998 Apr 24; 708(1):243–8. Crossref.
- Agrawal H, Kaul N, Paradkar AR, Mahadik KR. HPTLC method for guggulsterone: I. Quantitative determination of E-and Z-guggulsterone in herbal extract and pharmaceutical dosage form. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004 Sep 21; 36(1):33–41. Crossref.
- Lata S, Saxena KK, Bhasin V, Saxena RS, Kumar A, Srivastava VK. Beneficial effects of Allium sativum, Allium cepa and Commiphora mukul on experimental hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis-a comparative evaluation. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine. 1991 Jul 1; 37(3):62–8.
- Agrawal H, Kaul N, Paradkar AR, Mahadik KR. HPTLC method for guggulsterone: II. Stress degradation studies on guggulsterone. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004 Sep 21; 36(1):23–31. Crossref. PMid:15351044
- Singh S, Manika N, Verma RK, Bagchi GD. Effect of different storage conditions on guggulsterone content in oleo-gum resin of Commiphora wightii. International Journal of Phytomedicine. 2013 Jan 1; 5(1):62–8.
- Bajaj AG, Dev S. Chemistry of ayurvedic crude drugs- V: Guggulu (resin from Commiphora mukul)- 5 some new steroidal components and, stereochemistry of guggulsterol-I at C-20 and C-22. Tetrahedron. 1982 Jan 1; 38(19):2949–54. Crossref.
- Dev S. A modern look at an age old Ayurvedic drug Guggul. Science Age. 1987; 5:13–8.
- Nityanand S, Kapoor NK. Effect of guggul steroids on cholesterol biosynthesis in rats. Indian J Biochem Biophy. 1978; 15:77.
- Satyavati GV. Gum guggul (Commiphora mukul)The success story of an ancient insight leading to a modern discovery. The Indian Journal of Medical Research. 1988 Apr; 87:327–35. PMid:3049326
- Muguli GR, Rao VPR, Ramesh B, Gowda V, Paramesh R, Jadhava AN, Babu KS. A novel high performance liquid chromatography-electron spray ionizationmass spectrometry method for simultaneous determination of guggulsterones, piperine and gallica cid in Triphalguggulu. Pcog Mag. 2015 May; 42(11):66–72.
- Guideline IH. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology Q2 (R1). International Conference on Harmonization; Geneva, Switzerland. 2005. p. 11–12.
- Basu S, Patel VB, Jana S, Patel H. Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method (LC–MS/MS) for simultaneous determination of piperine, cinnamic acid and gallic acid in rat plasma using a polarity switch technique. Analytical Methods. 2013; 5(4):967–76. Crossref.
- Bhatta RS, Kumar D, Chhonker YS, Jain GK. Simultaneous estimation of E‐and Z‐isomers of guggulsterone in rabbit plasma using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Biomedical Chromatography. 2011 Sep 1; 25(9):1054–60. Crossref. PMid:21268049
- Kamal YT, Mohammed Musthaba S, Singh M, Parveen R, Ahmad S, Baboota S, Ali I, Siddiqui KM, Arif Zaidi SM. Development and validation of HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of piperine and guggulsterones in compound Unani formulation (tablets) and a nanoreservoir system. Biomedical Chromatography. 2012 Oct 1; 26(10):1183–90.Crossref. PMid:22213335
- Musharraf SG, Iqbal N, Gulzar U, Ali A, Choudhary MI. Effective separation and analysis of E- and Z-guggulsterones in Commiphora mukul resin, guggulipid and their pharmaceutical product by high performance thin-layer chromatographydensitometric method. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2011 Sep 10; 56(2):240–5.Crossref. PMid:21676570
- Madhavi GP, Vishal RP, Rakesh KP. Development and validation of improved RP-HPLC method for identification and estimation of ellagic and gallic acid in Triphala churna. International Journal of Chem Tech Research. 2010; 2(3):1486–93.
- Zhao MH, Shen YP, Liu YJ, Liu GN. Isolated crack in three-dimensional piezoelectric solid. Part II: stress intensity factors for circular crack. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics. 1997 Mar 1; 26(2):141– 9. Crossref.
- Madhavi S and Rani AP. Development and validation of a method for simultaneous determination of dapagliflozin and saxagliptin in a formulation by RPUPLC.World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research; 2017Sep; 12(6):904–16.
- Chaube A, Prajapati PK, Dixit SK. On the technique of sodhana. Ancient Science of life. 1996 Jul; 16(1):67–73. PMid:22556773 PMCid:PMC3331135
- Patwardhan B, Mashelkar RA. Traditional medicineinspired approaches to drug discovery: Can Ayurveda show the way forward? Drug discovery today. 2009 Aug 31; 14(15):804–11. Crossref. PMid:19477288
- Anonymous. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India.Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Department of AYUSH, Government of India, New Delhi; 1988.p. 56–7.
- Anonymous. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India.Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Department of AYUSH, The Controller of Publications Civil Lines, Delhi; 2003. p. 203–24.
- Anonymous. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Department of AYUSH, Government of India, New Delhi; 2007.p. 135–9.
- Pimpale S, Rao A, Patil A, Desai S. Comparative analytical study of guggul (Commiphora mukul) Sodhana done in different media. Int Ayurvedic Med J. 2014; 2(5):761–4.
Abstract Views: 226
PDF Views: 135