Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Sources of Finance for Enterprises in India: Difficulties and Solutions
All stakeholders, including entrepreneurs, financial companies, and governmental institutions have expressed concern about just the source of financing for different sized enterprises (MSMEs). The main mission of the study was to pinpoint the numerous difficulties MSMEs encountered while trying to find financing at certain points in their life cycles. This study represents a groundbreaking effort to concentrate on such elements. This research investigates regarding the lack of finance related literacy among owners of different-sized enterprises poses a significant obstacle to finding and utilizing funding sources. A sample of 85 MSMEs was used to gather data through personal interviews with a structured questionnaire. The survey, which covered a wide range of industries including precision tools, weavers, jewelers, food stores, metal works, textiles, etc., was mostly done in the South Gujarat region. The results support prior studies' findings that formal sources like banks are greatly under-utilized in comparison to non-formal solutions of finance individual as well as group assets. According to this study, the main inadequate collateral assets and the entrepreneurs' lack of financial literacy were the biggest obstacles to the underutilization of formal sources. There have been suggestions made for business owners, financial institutions, and politicians based on the finding that the need for finance varies depending on the MSME's life-cycle stage.
finance, MSMEs, financial institutions, financial literacy.
- About the Ministry | Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (n.d.). Retrieved October 27, 2022, from https://msme.gov.in/about-us/about-us-ministry.
- Ambrose, J. (2012). Venture capital (VC): The all important MSMEs financing strategy under neglect in Kenya. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(21), 234-240.
- Asian Development Bank (2014). ADBOECD study on enhancing financial accessibility for MSMEs: Lessons from recent crises. Manila.
- Banerjee, A. A. (2006). Capital market access to SMEs in India. Paper presented at the 10th Indian Institute of Capital Markets (IICM) Conference, 1819 December, Mumbai, India.
- Bebczuk, R. N. (2004). What determines the access to credit by SMEs in Argentina? (Documento de Trabajo Nro. 48 [Working Paper No. 48]). Buenos Aires, Argentina: Universidad Nacional de la Plata.
- Biswas, A. (2014). Financing constraints for MSME sector. International Journal of Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies, 1(5), 60-68.
- Financing India's MSMEs: Estimation of Debt Requirement of MSMEs in India (2018, November). Intellecap. https://www.intellecap.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ Financing-Indias-MSMEs-Estimation-of-Debt-Requireme-nt-of-MSMEsin_India.pdf
- Government of India (2015a). MSME at a glance. Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. New Delhi.
- Government of India (2015b). Report of the committee set Up to examine the financial architecture of the MSME sector. Ministry of Finance. New Delhi
- Grant Thornton India and FICCI (2011). Vision 2020: Implications for MSMEs. New Delhi.
- International Finance Corporation (2012). Micro, small, and medium enterprise finance in India. New Delhi.
- Irwin, D., & Scott, J. M. (2010). Barriers faced by SMEs in raising bank finance. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, 16(3), 245-259
- Lahiri, R. (2012). Problems and prospects for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in India in the era of globalization. Paper presented at the International Conference on the Interplay of Economics, Politics, and Society for Inclusive Growth, 1516 October, Thimphu, Bhutan.
- Mallick, S. K., Sarkar, A., Roy, K., Duttachaudhuri, T., & Chakrabarti, A. (2010). Dynamics of emerging india's banking sector assets: A simple model. Journal of Asset Management, 11(1), 62-70.
- Major Challenges Faced by the MSME Sector “SMEcorner Blog (2021, February 23). SME corner. Https://www.smecorner.com/major-challanges-faced-by-the-msmesector
- Master Directions (2022, October 20). Reserve bank of India. https://www.rbi.o rg.in/Scripts/BS_ViewMasDirections.aspx?id=11959
- Prasad, C. S. (2006). Micro, small and medium enterprises financing in India issues and concerns. CAB Calling. July-Sept, 35-40
- Reserve Bank of India (2005). Policy package for stepping up credit to small and medium enterprises. Mumbai.
- Reynolds, P. D., & Curtin, R. T. (2009). New firm creation in the United States: Initial explorations II data set. International Studies in Entrepreneurship, 23, 2-5
Abstract Views: 56
PDF Views: 0