Open Access Subscription Access
Entrepreneurial Intention among Polytechnic Students in Nigeria:The Role of Self-Efficacy and Social Networks
This study was carried out to examine the role of self-efficacy and social networks on entrepreneurial intention among polytechnic students in Ile - Ife Osun state, Nigeria. Theory of Reasoned action was used as a theoretical framework for this study. A survey design was adopted. The data for this study was collected in 2018 via a purposive sampling technique, where 240 students (81 females and 159 males) with age range of 21–35 years (M = 23.61, SD = 2.63) were selected from one polytechnic. Inferential statistics (t-test for independent measure) was used to test the hypotheses in this study. Result showed that there was significant difference between entrepreneurial intention of polytechnic students with low self-efficacy and high self-efficacy. There was significant difference between entrepreneurial intention of polytechnic students with low social network and high social network. Therefore, to improve entrepreneurial intention among polytechnic students, psychologists should organize psycho-educational interventions aim at increasing self-efficacy and social networks of polytechnic students.
Entrepreneurial Intentions, Self-Efficacy, Social Networking, Polytechnic Students.
- Abubakar S., Salwa K., & Amina M. (2014). An assessment of students’ entrepreneurial intention in tertiary institution: A case of Kano state polytechnic, Nigeria. International Journal Asian Social, 4(3), 434-443.
- Afsaneh, F., & Zaidatol, Y. (2014). Relationship between entrepreneurial self-efficacy and entrepreneurial intention among Malaysian university students. Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal, 6(1), 58-63.
- Agbim, K. C., Oriarewo, G. O., & Owocho, M. (2012).Factors influencing entrepreneurial intentions among graduates of Nigerian tertiary institutions. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 2, 36-44.
- Ajzen, I., & Fishben, M. (2005). The influence of attitudes on behaviour. The Handbook of Attitudes, 173-221.
- Akanbi, S. T. (2013). Familial Factors, Personality Traits and Self-Efficacy as Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intention among Postgraduate Students in Nigerian Universities: Conceptual Review Intention among Vocational Based College Of Education Students in Oyo State, Nigeria. An unpublished P.hd Thesis from the department of education, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Ali, A., Topping, K.J., & Tariq, H.R. (2010). Entrepreneurial attributes among postgraduate students of a Pakistani university, US-China. Education Review, 7(5), 66-77.
- Ameh, A., & Udu, A. (2016). Social Networks and Entrepreneurship Orientation among Students in Nigerian Universities: A Study of Social Network Size and Risk Disposition. Business and Management Research, 5(2), 1-11.
- Amos, A., Oluseye, O., & Bosede, A.(2015).Influence of Contextual Factors on Entrepreneurial Intention of University Students: The Nigerian Experience. Journal of South African Business Research, 2- 10. https://doi.org/ 10.5171/2015.750622
- Asaju, K., Arome, S., & Anyio, S. (2014). The rising rate of unemployment in Nigeria the socio-economic and political implications. Global Business and Economic Research Journal, 3(2), 12–32.
- Ayedun, T., & Ajayi, M.(2018).Entrepreneurial Intention among Students of Selected Tertiary Institutions in Ondo State. International Journal of Development Strategies in Humanities, Management and Social Sciences 8,(1) 1-16
- Bandura, A. (1986). The explanatory and predictive scope of self-efficacy theory. Journal of Clinical and Social Psychology, 4, 359-373.
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman.
- Baum, J. R.., & Locke, E. A. (2015). The relationship of entrepreneurial traits, skill, and motivation to subsequent venture growth. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89, 587– 598.
- Bhandari, N. C. (2012). Relationship between students’ gender, their own employment, their parents’ employment, and the students’ intention for entrepreneurship. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 15, 133-144.
- Bird, B. J. (1988). Implementing entrepreneurial ideas: The case of intention. Academy of Management Review, 13 (3), 442-453.
- Carmen, A., & Joaquín G. (2012).Entrepreneurial intention models as applied to Latin America", Journal of Organizational Change Management, 25 (5), 721 – 735
- Chen, CC., Greene, PG., & Crick, A. (1998). Does entrepreneurial self-efficacy distinguish entrepreneurs from managers? Journal of Small Business Venturing, 13(4), 295–316.
- Deh, I. Y., Asuamah, S. Y., & Agyemang, I. K. (2013). The Link between Demographics and Perceive Barriers to Entrepreneurship. Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development, 1(1), 42-50.
- Dohse, D., & Walter, S. G. (2010). The role of entrepreneurship education and regional context in forming entrepreneurial intentions: Document de treball de l'IEB. ent.ut.ac.ir/jger/images/usersfiles/1/file/pdf/kim%20kliver%201.pdf.
- Fairoz, F.M., Hirobumi, T., & Tanaka, Y. (2010). Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises of Hambantota Distinct, Sri Lanka. Asian Social Science 6 (3), 34-46. URL: http://www.mgt.ruh.ac.ik/staff-index.php?page=5 user=mafasiya
- Felzensztein C., & Gimmon, E. (2013). Social Network and Marketing Cooperation in Entrepreneurial Clusters: An International Comparative Study. Journal of International Entrepreneurship, 4, 01- 11. D0I: 1007/510843-009-0041-2
- Fu, J. (2011). Understanding career commitment of IT professionals: Perspectives of push-pull–mooring framework and investment model. International Journal of Information Management, 31, 279–293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. ijinfomgt.2010.08.008
- Gasse, Y., & Tremblay, M. (2011). Entrepreneurial beliefs and intentions: A cross-cultural study of university students in seven countries. International Journal of Business, 16(4), 303.
- Hmieleski, O., & Corbett, (2006). Influence of Social Capital on Entrepreneurial Opportunity Recognition Behaviour. International Journal of Economics and Management, 5(1), 351-368. Retrieved from: http://econ.upm.edu.my/ijem/vol5 no2/bab10.pdf.
- Jawahar, D.P., & Nigama K. (2011). Influence of Social Capital on Entrepreneurial Opportunity Recognition Behaviour. International Journal of Economics and Management, 5(1), pp351-368.URL: http://econ.upm.edu.my/ijem/vol5no2/bab10.pdf
- Kacperezyk J.A (2012). Social Influence and Entrepreneurship; The Effect of University Peers on Entrepreneurial Entry. Organization Science Articles in Advance, 13, 1-20.
- Kaegon L. E., & Nwogu U. J. (2012). Entrepreneurship Education in Nigerian Universities: A Panacea for Unemployment in Nigeria: British Journal of Advance Academic Research, 1 (1), 57-67.
- Klyver, K. & Schott, T. (2011). How Social Network Structure Shapes Entrepreneurial Intentions. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 1(1), 03-19.
- Klyver, K. (2006). Action Focus: Using social networks – a guide for entrepreneurs. Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship Research Report Series, 3, no. 7. Melbourne: Swinburne University of Technology.
- Klyver, K.. (2007). Entrepreneurs' social networks – encouragement or criticism paper presented at 24th Babson Kaufman Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Glasgow, 2-5 June 2004
- Konrad, P. (2013).Networking Strategies for Entrepreneurs. International Opportunity Recognition Among Small and Medium Sized Family Firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 49(3), 490-514.
- Krueger, N. F. (2000). The cognitive infrastructure of opportunity emergence. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 3, 5–23.
- Kuehn, K. (2013). Entrepreneurial intentions research: Implications for entrepreneurship education. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 11, 87-98.
- Lee, D., & Tsang, E. (2001).The effects of entrepreneurial personality, background and network activities on venture growth. Journal of Management Studies, 38(4), 583 - 602.
- Lee, L., Wong, P. K., & Foo, M. D., (2005). Antecedents of entrepreneurial propensity: findings from Singapore, Hong-Kong, and Taiwan, MPRA paper No, 2615 retrieved online at http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/2615.
- Lent, J. (2012).The Entrepreneurial Propensity of Women. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 31, 341-364.
- Muhammad, D. A. (2012). Entrepreneurial Intention among Undergraduate Students In International Islamic University Malaysia-IIUM: A paper presented at the 6th Islamic Development Management Conference (IDMAC, 2012) Universiti of Sains Malaysia.
- Muhammed, C. (2009). Impact of contextual factors on entrepreneurial intention in India, International Journal Eng Management Research, 3(6), 76-82
- National Bureau of Statistics (2016). Bureau Report of the National Bureau Report.
- Ogunnaike, O. O., & Kehinde, O. J. (2013). Social Networking and Business Performance: The Case of Selected Entrepreneurs in Ota, Nigeria. Journal of Business Administration and Management Sciences Research, 2(5), 116-122. URL: http:/www.apexjournal.org/JBAMSR.
- Ojewumi, A., Oyeleke, J., Agberotimi, F., & Adedayo, O. (2018). The Influence of Gender and Self-Efficacy on Entrepreneurial Intentions among Obafemi Awolowo University Undergraduate Students. Africology: The Journal of Pan African Studies, 11 (2), 169-185.
- Ojiaku, C., Nkamnebe, D., & Nwaizugbo, C. (2018).Determinants of entrepreneurial intentions among young graduates: perspectives of push-pull-mooring model. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 12, 8-24.
- Okafor, C., & Ameh, A.(2017).Social Networks and Entrepreneurship Orientation among Students in Nigerian Universities: A Study of Social Network Density and Proactiveness. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 6 (7), 33-41.
- Okoye L. (2016). Psychosocial predictors of entrepreneurial intention among Nigerian graduates. International Journal of Psychology and Counselling, 8(6), 73-80.
- Olanrewaju A.(2013).Demographics, Entrepreneurial Self-Efficacy and Locus of Control as Determinants of Adolescents’ Entrepreneurial Intention in Ogun State, Nigeria. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 1 (12), 59-67.
- Ostgaard, TA., & Birley, S.(1994). Personal Networks and Firms’ Competitive Strategy - A Strategic or Coincidental Match? Journal of Business Venturing, 9(4), 281-305.
- Owoseni, O. O. (2014). The Influence of Some Personality Factors on Entrepreneurial Intentions .International Journal of Business and Social Science, 5(1), 278-284.
- Reynolds, PD., Camp, SM., Bygrave, WD., Autio, E., & Hay, M. (2001). Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2001 Executive Report, Kauffman Centre for Entrepreneurial Leadership.
- Ripolles, L., & Blesa, R. (2005). The Role of Advice Sources for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. 35th DRUID Celebration Conference 2013, Barcelona, Spain, June 17-19. http://dx.doi.org/jelcodesM13033
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Shapero, A., & Sokol, L. (1982). The social dimensions of entrepreneurship. Englewood Cliffs: Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship.
- Tarus, T., Kemboi, A., Okemwa, D., & Otiso, K. (2016). Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intention: Selected Kenyan Universities Service Sector Perspective. International Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Research, 4(6),1-52
- Vivarelli, M.(2012). Drivers of Entrepreneurship and Post-Entry Performance: Microeconomic Evidence from Advanced and Developing Countries; World Bank Policy Research Working Paper WPS6245.
- Welter, F., & Kautonen, T. (2005). Trust, social networks and enterprise development: Exploring evidence from East and West Germany. International Entrepreneurship & Management Journal, 1(3), 367-379.
- Zafar, M.J., Yasin, G., & Ijaz, M. (2012). Social Networking as a Source for Developing Entrepreneurial Intentions among Entrepreneurs; A Case of Multan. Asian Economic and Financial Review 2(8), 1072-1084. URL: http://www.aessweb.com/pdf-files/1072-1084.pdf.
- Zeng, F., Liu, Q., Zheng, M., & Cao, X.(2017).Emotional Competences and Entrepreneurial Intentions: A Case Study of College Student Entrepreneurs. International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities, 13(1), 11-22
- Zhao, F. (2015). Exploring the synergy between entrepreneurship and innovation. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, 11 (1), 25-41.
Abstract Views: 157
PDF Views: 49