Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Performance Evaluation of Selected Indian Equity Diversified Mutual Fund Schemes: An Empirical Study
This study has been carried out to evaluate the performance of selected 20 equity diversified schemes during the study period of June 2007 to May 2012. An attempt has been made to evaluate the fund's performance, level of diversification and manager's ability to pick the undervalued stocks. The study revealed that except one all the sampled schemes have performed better than market. . Risk adjusted performance in terms of Sharpe and Treynor ratio showed that 55% of the fund schemes bear positive values. The findings also revealed that majority of the schemes were adequately diversified. Negative correlation between level of diversification, measured by R2 and unique risk proved that, fund managers remained successful in reducing unique risk through better diversification. The study also revealed that about 60% of the schemes were able to beat the market with help of better stock selection skill of fund managers. Overall, ING Dividend Yield Fund, Tata Dividend Yield Fund, UTI MNC Fund, Quantum Long-Term Equity Fund, Canara Robeco Equity Diversified, HDFC Growth Fund, Franklin India Prima Plus Fund and Tata Pure Equity Fund are among the best performing funds among the sampled schemes, in terms of all the different performance evaluation measures.
Mutual Funds, Performance Evaluation, Systematic Risk, Unsystematic Risk, Portfolio Return
- Friend et. al, “A Study of Mutual Funds” U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, USA, (1962).
- Irwin, Brown, FE, et al., “A Study of Mutual Funds: Investment Policy and Investment Company Performance” reprinted in Hsiu-kwangwer and Alan Jzakon (Ed.) Elements of Investments, New York: Holt, Renchart and Winston, (1965), pp.371-385.
- Treynor Jack L, “How to Rate Management of Investment Funds”, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 43(1), (1965), pp. 63-75.
- Sharpe, William F “Mutual Fund Performance”, The Journal of Business, Vol. 39(1), (1966), pp.119-138.
- Treynor and Mazuy , “Can Mutual Funds Outguess The Markets” Harvard Business Review, Vol. 44, (1966), pp.131-136.
- Jensen Michael C, “The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945-1964”, Journal of Finance, Vol. 23, (1968), pp.389-416.
- Smith and Tito , “Risk-Return Measures of Post-Portfolio Performance” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 4, (1969), pp.449- 471.
- Fama, “Components of Investment Performance”, Journal of Finance, Vol. 27, (1972), pp.551-567.
- Gupta, Ramesh “Mutual Funds”, The Management Accountant, Vol. 24(5), (May 1989), pp.320-322.
- Batra and Bhatia, “Indian Mutual Funds: A study of Public sector” , paper presented, UTI Institute of Capital Market, Mumbai, (1992).
- Shukla and Singh , “Are CFA Charter Holders Better Equity Fund Managers”, Chartered Financial Analysts, Vol. 2, (1994), pp.68-74.
- Shome, “A Study Of Performance Of Indian Mutual Funds”, unpublished thesis, Jhansi University, (1994).
- Yadav R A and Mishra, Biswadeep “Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds: An empirical analysis”, MDI Management Journal, Vol. 9(2), (July 1996), pp.117-125.
- Gupta O P and Sehgal, Sanjay, “Investment Performance of Mutual Funds: The Indian Experience”, paper presented in Second UTI-ICM Capital Markets Conference, December 23-24, (1998), Vasi, Bombay.
- Ramesh Chander “Performance Appraisal of Mutual Funds in India”, Finance India, Vol. XIV(4) (December 2000), pp.1256-1261.
- Shah Ajay and Thomas Susan (1994), “Performance Evaluation of Professional Portfolio Management In India”, paper presented, CMIE, (10 April 1994).
- Jayadev M, “Mutual Fund Performance: An Analysis of Monthly Returns”, Finance India, Vol. X (1) (March 1996), pp. 73-84.
- Gupta, “The Mutual Fund Industry and Its Comparative Performance”, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 6, (1974), pp.894.
- Gupta Amitabh, “Mutual Funds in India: A Study of Investment Management”, Finance India, Vol. XV (2), (June 2001), pp.631-637.
- Tripathy, Nalini Prava, “Mutual Fund In India: A Financial Service in Capital Market”, Finance India, Vol. X (1), (March 1996), pp. 85-91.
- Muthappan P K & Damodharan E , “Risk-Adjusted Performance Evaluation of Indian Mutual Funds Schemes”, Finance India, Vol. XX(3), (September 2006), pp.965-983.
- R. Shanmugham and Zabiulla (2009), “Stock Selection Strategies of Equity Mutual Fund Managers in India”, Middle Eastern Finance and Economic, ISSN: 1450-2889 Issue 11 (2011)
Abstract Views: 681
PDF Views: 2