Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Overview of Herbal Cosmetics
To remain healthy and to appear good, the skin surface requires periodic cleansing to remove dirt, sebum and other secretions, dead cells, crusts, applied make-ups, atmospheric change, and irregular life style. Use of chemical based topical applications extends fast deterioration of skin and their appendix. This requires immediate and suitable procedure which can not only extend benefits to the skin but also helpful in long duration making your skin look charming. Cosmetics play a vital role for everyone to have a joyful and sanguine life. In present scenario herbal Cosmeceuticals have more demand because they have no side effects. People having oily skin suffer from acne, whiteheads and blackheads quite often so scrubbing become more essential. To remain healthy and of good appearance, the skin surface requires frequent cleansing to remove grin, sebus and other secretions, dead cells, crusts and applied make-ups. The current present work is absed upon the the compounding of the the herbal facial scrub by using an identical combination of the herbal drugs. The formulated scrub was evaluated for various parameters such as physical appearance, color, texture, odor, pH, viscosity, irritability, washability, homogeneity, extrudability, spreadability and found fruitful results for all the parameter tested. Thus the prepared formulation can be used effectively as it shows good scrubbing properties and it can be used to make a healthy, clean and glowing skin
Facial scrub, Polyherbal, Skin Exfoliate, Healthy skin, dirt, Acne, Cosmeceuticals, Parameters, etc.
- Azila Abd. Aziz, Zarani Mat Taher, RohaizaMuda and Ramlan Aziz, Cosmeceuticals and Natural Cosmetics, Recent Trends in Research into Malaysian Medicinal Plants, Dev 2017, page no-126 to 127.
- Prathyusha J, Yamani NS, Santhosh G, Aravind A, Naresh B, Formulation and Evaluation of Polyherbal Face Scrubber for Oily Skin in Gel Form, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research 2019; 11(4):126-128.
- Debbarma D, Moharana PK, Mishra B, Ramana V and Dimple W. Clinical review of deep cleansing apricot scrub: an herbal formulation. International Journal of Bioassay. 2015; 4(9): 4251- 253.
- Darsika SKV, Grace CXF and Shanmuganathan S. Formulation and Evaluation of a polyherbal face wash gel WJPPS, 2015; 4(06): 585-588.
- Sharma PP, Cosmetics-formulation, manufacturing and quality control. 3rd Edition Delhi: Vandana Publication: 2005 Page638
- Vijay Malik, Laws relating to drugs and cosmetics, eastern book company, 25th edition 2016, page no 1
- Bello Shaibu Oricha, Cosmeceuticals: A review, African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Review Paper, April 2010, Vol. 4(4), pp. 127.
- Kumar Sumit, Swarankar Vivek, Sharma Sujata, Baldi Ashish. Herbal Cosmetics: Used for Skin and Hair. Inventi Rapid: Cosmeceuticals, 2012(4): page no-1.
- Pandey Shivanand, Meshya Nilam, D. Viral, Herbs Play an Important Role in the Field of Cosmetics, International Journal of PharmTech Research, .2(1); 632-639: 2010
- Bijauliya RK, Alok S, Kumar M, Chanchal DK and Yadav S: A comprehensive review on herbal cosmetics. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017; 8(12): 4930.
- Hughes GR: J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem., 1959; X: 159.
- Varma et.al, Journal overview of herbal cosmetics, International Journal of Drug Formulation and Research (IJDFR), Sep.-Oct. 2011, vol 2 Issue 5, Page no- 139- 141.
- Saudagar et al, Review on herbal cosmetics, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2018, Vol 7, Issue 7, pqge no- 572.
- Utkarsha C. Tope et al, Herbal cosmetics: Review article, Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, June-2017, Vol. 9, Issue No.2, page no 5907.
- Bhuwanchandra Joshi, Herbal Cosmetics: A safe and effective approach, pharmatutor, Pharmatutor-ART-1625
- Kokate K.C., Purohit A.P., Gokhale S.B. Cosmeceuticals In: Pharmacognosy.Nirali Publication, Pune.36thed, 2006, pp 548, 593
- Barbalova, I. 2011. “Global Beauty and Personal Care: The Year in Review and Winning Strategies for The Future” (online) (Accessed 15 June 2014). http://www.incosmetics.com/RXUK/RXUK InCosmetics/documents/IC11EuromonitorIntGlobalBeautyAndPer sonalCare
- Ko, “Adulterants in Asian Patent Medicines”, [online]. J Med, 1998.
- Kapoor VP: Herbal Cosmetics for skin and hair care, Natural Product Radiance, 2005, (4), (4), 305
- The Council of The European Communities Official Journal of the European Commission – L series 151. “Directive 93/35/EEC” (online). Retrieved from, (Accessed 15 June 2014). http://eurlex.europa.eu/legal
- Khan et al, Cosmetics and Adverse Effects, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2019, Volume 2, Issue 1,1.
- Kunal Arora et al. The trends and development in the cosmetic technology: a review, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Nano Sciences, 7(5), 2018, 161-169.
- Joshi H (2012) Potentials of traditional medicinal chemistry in cosmetology industry; prospectives and perspectives. Anaplastology an open access journal 1: 3.
- Sahu AN, Jha S, Dubey SD (2011) Formulation and Evaluation of curcuminoid based herbal face cream. Indo-Global Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 1: 77-84.
- Draelos ZD (1997). New developments in cosmetics and skin care products. Adv. Dermatol. 12: 3-17.
- P.V.S. Srikanth, Prasanna Kumar Desu, et.al, mini review on Cosmeceuticals, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, 2013, Vol 3, issue 2, page no- 57 to 58.
- Maheshwaram Laxmi and S. Vijayalaxmi, Development and evaluation of Herbal face pack using various plant powders, Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, 2017, vol 4, issue 9, page no 3343.
- Rathi, V., Rathi, J. C., Tamizharasia, S. and Pathakb, A. K. 2008. Plants used for hair growth promotion: A review, Pharmacognosy Reviews, 2(3): 185-187.
- Laxmi S Joshi and Harshal A Pawar, Herbal Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals: An Overview, Natural Products Chemistry and Research, 2015, Vol 3, Issue 2, page no - 1000170
- Glaser DA, Anti-ageing products and cosmeceuticals. Facial PlastSurg, Clin N Am, 12(4), 363-372, 2004.
- Arashmeet Kaur et al, Novel herbs used in cosmetics for skin and hair care : A review, Plant Archives Vol. 20, Supplement 1, 2020 pp. 3784.
- Gediya SK, Mistry RB, Patel UK, Blessy M and Jain HN: Herbal plants: Used as cosmetics. J. Nat Prod Plant Resour. 2011; 1: 24-32.
- Anuradha et al, “Cosmeceuticals”: An opinion in the direction of pharmaceuticals, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 8, Issue 2, 2015, 64.
- Katherine I. Martin, MS and Dee Anna Glaser, Cosmeceuticals: The New Medicine of Beauty, Science of medicine, missouri medicine, jan-Feb 2011, Vol 108, issue 01, page no 60.
- AK Mohiuddin, An Extensive Review of Cosmetics in Use, American Journal of Dermatological Research and Reviews, 2019, vol 2, isuse 7, page no- 1 to 3.
- Varma et.al, Journal overview of herbal cosmetics, International journal of drug formulation and research(IJDFR), Sep.-Oct. 2011, vol 2 Issue 5, Page no- 140- 141.
- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780081017 432000169
- Vishal Ashok Chaudhari, Manoj.V. Girase, Bhushan Gulab Borase, Shashikant Kailas Bhoi, Kalyani Ashok Chaudhar, Formulation and evaluation of Multipurpose scrub gel using limoniaacidissima, International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews, Vol 7, Issue 2, page no-637 to 647.
- Esha Vatsa, Mehak Aggarwal, Shipra Gautam, Formulation and Evaluation of Polyherbal Facial Scrub, Just agriculture multidisciplinary, may 2021, Vol 1, Issue 9, page no- 1to 4.
- Tiwle et al, formulation and characterisation of herbal face wash/Scrubber, European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research, 2016, Vol 3, Issue 11, page no 276bto 277.
- Rathod Kailas Ganpati Charushila Murlidhar Jadhav, Formulation and Evaluation of Face Scrub using Mango Seed as Natural Exfoliant, Aegaeum journal, 2020, Vol 8, issue 2, Page no-51 to55.
- Ghadage P. K., Mahamuni S. S., Kachare D. S. Formulation and evaluation of Herbal using tamarind peel, International Journal of Research, July 2020, Vol 9, issue 7, page no 1 to 8.
- agriinfotech.com (Accessed on 29 Nov. 2010)
- reviveholisticbeauty.com (Accessed on 8 Dec. 2010)
- library.thinkquest.org (Accessed on 15 Dec. 2010)
- womenfitness.net (Accessed on 16 Dec.2010)
- M. McQuestion. SeminOncolNurs., 2006, 22, 163-173.
- A. Bolderston, NS LLoyd, RK Wong et al. Support Care Cancer. 2006, 14, 802-817.
- P. Pommier, et al. J Clinical Oncol., 2004, 22, 1447-1453.
- H. Wagner, S. Bladt, FM Zgainski. Verlas., 1994, 291-304.
- N. Adhirajan, T. Ravi Kumar, N. Shanmugasundaram, M. Babu. J. Ethnopharmacology. 2003, 88, 235-239.
- plushfolly.com (Accessed on 20 Dec.2010)
- L.effingwell, C. John. Leffingwelland Associates, 2006, 06-08
- 57.https://nababeauty-in.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/nababeauty.in/15- best-facescrubinindia/?amp_js_v=a6andamp_gsa=1andusqp=mq331AQHK AFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16236552861017andamp_ct=16236 55290096andcsi=1andreferrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co mandamp_tf=From%20%251%24sandampshare=https%3A%2F% 2Fnababeauty.in%2F15-best-face-scrub-in-india%2F
- Fuizz and C. Richard, 2012.Transdermal delivery system. US Patent 5736154
- Guy RH, 1996. Current Status and future prospects of Transdermal Drug Delivery, Pharma Res, 13, 1765-1769.
- Jain A, Deveda P, Vyas N, Chauhan J. Development of Antifungal Emulsion Based Gel for topical fungal infection, International Journal of Pharma. Research and Development, 2003; 2(12):18-19.
- Bhanu PV, Shanmugam and Lakshmi PK. Development and Optimization of Novel Diclofenac Emulgel for Topical Drug Delivery, Int J Comprehen Pharm, 2011; 9(10):1-4.
- Wester RC, Patel R, Nacht S, Leydan J, Malendres J, Maibch H. Controlled release of benzoyl peroxide to reduce topical irritancy. JAmAcadDermatol, 1991; 24:720-726.
- 63.P. P. Sharma, “Cosmetics Formulation, Manufacturing and Quality Control”, 5th edition, Vandana Publications-Delhi, Pg. No.645
- 64.Lachman.L, Lieberman.A, Kinig.J.L. (1991) The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy, 4th edition, Varghese Publishing House, Bombay. 67-68.
- Nandgude T, Bhise K, Shinde V, Sharma D. Mouth dissolving tablet: geriatrics and paediatrics friendly drug delivery. Indian Drugs. 2007; 4:271-302.
- United States Pharmacoepia. Asian Ed Convention Inc, 2005, 233-245.
- Gore S, Devarajan P. Mouth dissolving tablets Design of in vitro disintegration test. IndJPharm Sci. 2000; 62(6):508.
- Gohel, M., Patel, M., Amin, A., Agrawal, R., Dave, R., andBariya, N. (2004). Formulation design and optimization of mouth dissolve tablets of nimesulide using vacuum dryingtechnique. AAPS Pharm. Sci. Tech., 5(3), e36.
- Rohan S. Mestri, Harshada Patil, Shriya Deshpande, Amit P. Pratap, Formulation of Mild Natural Biodegradable Micro Beads Face Scrubber, International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. ISSN 0974-3154, 2017; 10(1)
Abstract Views: 99
PDF Views: 0