Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Genotoxic Effect of Effluents Discharged in Ramgarh Lake on Freshwater Fish Channa punctatus
Pollution of water resources is a serious and growing problem, despite the existence of relevant legislation. Genotoxic studies of effluent pollutants are very important as they tend to accumulate in aquatic animals. Thus use of aquatic organism to detect the genotoxicity is very useful in environment monitoring. Ramgarh Lake is an important water body of Gorakhpur, U.P. India, which received untreated effluents from different sources of Gorakhpur city. It covers an area of 723hectares, with a circumference of 18 kilometers. The aim of the Present study was to evaluate the toxic impact of these effluents on water quality as well as genotoxic effects on fish. Micronuclei test was employed to study genotoxicity inhabiting in lake. A significant (p<0.05) increment in number of micronuclei were found in fishes directly caught from different sites of lake. Seasonal variation in Physico-chemical parameters (i.e. Temperature, pH, DO, BOD, COD, TSS, and TDS) of water body also measured on basis of American Public Health Association (APHA) method. All these parameters were much higher than the tolerance limit recommended by Central Pollution Control Board of India.
Genotoxicity, Channa punctatus, Micronuclei, Physico-Chemical Parameters, APHA.
- Sukumaran PK and Das AK. Plankton abundance in relation to physico-chemical features in a peninsular manmade lake. Environment and Ecology.1999; 20(4): 873-879.
- Pandey BN, Hussain S, Jha AK and Shyamanand. Seasonal fluctuation of zooplankton community in relation to certain parameters of river Ramzan of Kishanganj, Bihar. Nature, Environment and Pollution Technology. 2004; 3(3): 325-330.
- Altaff K . A Manual of Zooplankton. Department of Zoology, the New College, Chennai. 2003.
- Chandrasekhar SVA. Cladoceran Fauna of Malda district, West Bengal, Journal of Bombay Natural History Society. 2002; 99(3): 467-470.
- Kumar A and Tripathi S. Zooplanktonic diversity in relation to aquaculture in some ponds of Durg-Bhillai city, Chhattisgarh state. Nature, Environment and Pollution Technology. 2004; 3(2): 175-178.
- Srivastava N, Harit G and Srivastava R. A study of physico-chemical characteristics of lakes around Jaipur, India, Journal of environmental biology. 2009; 30 (5): 889-894.
- Sharma LL and Sarang N. Physico-chemical limnology and productivity of Jaisamand Lake, Udaipur, Rajasthan. Poll. Research. 2004; 23(1): 87-92.
- Dhanapathi MVSSS. Taxonomic notes on the rotifers from India (from 1889-2000). Indian Association of Aquatic Biologists (IAAB), Hyderabad. 2000.
- WHO (World Health Organization). Guidelines for water quality. World Health Organization, Geneva 2006/Vol.1.
- Environment Health. The mechanism of benzene-induced leukemia: A hypothesis and speculation on the cause of leukemia.1996: 104 (Suppl 6):pp. 1219-1225.
- Fagr A, El-Shehawi AM and seehy MA. Micronuclease test in fish genom: A sensitive monitor for aquatic pollution. African journal of Biotechnology. 2008; 7(5): 606-612.
- Badr EA and El-Dib SE. Effects of water pollution on the cell division cycle and chromosome behavior in Tillapia spp. Egypt Journal. Genet. Cytol. 1978: 7:193-200.
- Matsumoto ST, Janaina R, Mario SM and Maria AM. Evaluation of the genotoxic potential due to the action of an effluent contaminated with chromium, by the Comet assay in CHO-Ki Cultures. Caryologia 2005; 58 (1): 40-46.
- Matsumato ST. Effeitos Toxicose Genotoxicos de Metais Pesado, Especicamente do Cromo trivalent e Hexavalente. Monografia (Doutorado) Universidade Estadual Paulista. Sao Jose do Rio Preto-SP. 2003.
- Pruski AM and Dixon DR. Effects of cadmium on nuclear integrity and DNA repair efficiency in the gill cells of Mytilus edulis L. Aqua. Toxicol. 2002; 57: 127-137.
- IARC Polynuclear Aromatic Compounds, Part 1, Chemical, Environment and Experimental Data, IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of the carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans. 1983; 32: 33-91.
- SantodonatoJ, Haward P and Basu D. Health and Ecological assessment of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, J. Environ. Pathol. Toxico.1981; 5: 1-36.
- Black JA, Birge WJ, Westerman AG and Francis PC. Comparative aquatic Toxicology of aromatic hydrocarbons, Fund. Appl. Toxicol. 1983; 3: 353-358.
- Germain A, Perron F and Van-Coillie R. PAHs in the environment: Fate, ecotoxicology and regulation, environment Canada, Conservation and Protection, Quebec Region, Montreal, Que. 1993.
- Hartwell LH, Hood L, Goldberg ML, Reynold AE, Silver LM and Veres RC. Genetics: from genes to genomes. Mc Graw Hill Higher Education.2000; ISBN 0-07- 540923-2.p. 70-98 144-169, 179-182, 341-351.
- Bailey E, Crespo S, Nonnotte C, Colino A, Leray L and Aubree A. Morphological and function alterations induced in trout intestine by dietary cadmium and lead. Fish biology1992; 28: 69-80.
- Grisolia CK and Corderio CMT. Variability in micronucleus induction with different mutagens applied to several species of fish. Gene. T Nol. Bios.2000; 23: 235-239.
- APHA (American Public Health Association) Standard methods for Examination of Water and Waste water, 21st Edition, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA. 2005.
- Das RK and Nanda NK. Induction of Micronuclei in peripheral erythrocytes of fish, Hetropneustes fossils by mitimycin C and paper mill effluents, Mutatants Research Lett. 1986; 175:67-71.
- Sokal RR and Rohlf FJ. International of biostatistics WH Freeman and Comp San Francisco. 1973.
- Mohan V, Raj S, Padmavathy and Sivakumar S. Water quality parameters and it influences in the Ennore estuary and near Coastal Environment with respect to Industrial and Domestic sewage. International Research Journal of Environment Sciences. 2013 ; 2(7): 20-25.
- Langmuir D. Aqueous Environmental Chemistry, Pren-tice-Hall, Inc., New Jersey., USA. 1997.
- WHO (World Health Organization). Guidelines for water quality. World Health Organization, Geneva. 2006/ Vol. 1.
- Swarnalatha N. Seasonal Rythms of various physio-chemical characteristic of lake. Journal Mendel. 1994; II (1): 65-66.
- Vijayan VS. Keoladeo National Park Ecology Study. Final Report (1980-1990) BNHS, Bombay. 1991.
- Stickney RR. Aquaculture. An Introductory Text. CABI Publishing, UK. p 265. 2005.
- Trivedy RK and Goel PK. Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies. Environmental Publications, KARAD. 1984; pp. 42-74.
- Afroz Z and Singh A. Toxic effects of pulp and paper mill effluents on Physico-chemical parameters of River Aami, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. The Journal of Toxicology and Health. Photon. 2013; 103: 234-243.
- Pandey AK, Nagpure NS, Trivadi SP, Kumar R and Kushwaha B. Profenofos induced DNA damaged in freshwater fish, Channa punctatus (Bloch) using alkaline single cell gel electrophoresis. Mutatant Research. 2011;726: 209-214.
- Bombail VAWD, Gordon E and Batty J. Application of the comet and micronucleus assays to butterflies (Pholish gunnellus) erythrocytes from the firth of forth, Scotland. 2001; 78:93-98.
- Pachecco M and Santos M. Naphthalene and beta-naphthoflavone effects on Anguilla L. hepatic metabolism and erythrocytic nuclear abnormalities. Environment Institute. 2002; 28:285-293.
- Shimizu N, Utiyama H and Vahl GM. Selective entrapment of extra chromosomally DNA by nuclear budding and micro nucleation during the S-phase. Journal of Cell. Biology. 1998; 140:1307-1320.
- Rodilla V. Origin and evolution of bionucleated cells with micronuclei in cisplatin-treated CGO cultures. Mutat. Research. 1993; 300: 191-281.
Abstract Views: 316
PDF Views: 0