Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Review of Analytical Methods for the Estimation of Ivabradine and Metoprolol in Pharmaceutical Formulations and Biological Matrices
The combination of Ivabradine (IVA) and Metoprolol (MET) was approved by US-FDA for symptomatic treatment of chronic stable angina pectoris. This Review focuses on recent development in analytical methods for IVA and MET. This review article represents the collection and discussion of various analytical methods available in the literature for the determination of IVA and MET individually and combination available in pharmaceutical and biological samples consisting of HPLC, HPTLC, GC, Thermal methods like TGA, DTA, DSC, and hyphenated techniques such as LC-MS, LC-MS/MS, and UPLC-MS/MS. All reported methods found to be simple, accurate, economic, precise and reproducible in nature. The present review article can be effectively explored to conduct future analytical investigation for the estimation of Ivabradine and Metoprolol.
: Angina pectoris, Ivabradine, Metoprolol, Analytical Methods, RP-HPLC, LC-MS/MS.
- Drug Profile “Ivabradine” September, 2015 https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB09083.
- Drug Profile “Metoprolol” June, 2005 https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00264.
- Brand names “Ivabradine” https://www.mims.com/india/drug/search?q=ivabradine.
- Brand names “Metoprolol” https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugssupplements/metoprolol-oral-route/description/drg-20071141.
- Brand names “Combination of Ivabradine and Metoprolol” https://www.medplusmart.com/compositionProducts/Ivabradine-5MG-and-Metoprolol-50-MG/31278.
- Tabassum I et al. A review on analytical methods for Ivabradine determination in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, Pharma Tutor. 2018;6(10):26-30.
- Pierre Klippert et. Determination of ivabradine and its Ndemethylated metabolite in human plasma and urine, and in rat and dog plasma by a validated high-performance liquid chromatographic method with fluorescence detection. Journal of Chromatography B.1998; 719:125–133.
- Md. Muzaffar-ur- Rehman, G. Nagamallika, Validated RP-HPLC Method for the Determination of Ivabradine Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Formulation, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research 2017;9(5):228-233.
- Joanna Nowakowska, Piotr Pikul, Marcin MarszaBB, and Krzesimir Ciura, Application and Validation of Simple Isocratic HPLC-UV-DAD Method with Dual Wavelength Detection for Ivabradine Determination and Its Application in the Study of Stress Degradation, Journal of Chemistry Volume 2017; 2069571.
- Sunitha Seerapu and B. P. Srinivasan, Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Ivabradine Hydrochloride in Tablets, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2010:72 (5): 667-671.
- Md. Rezowanur Rahman, Md. Asaduzzaman and S. M. Ashraful Islam, Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for analysis of Ivabradine Hydrochloride in tablet dosage forms. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2012;(3):1032-1043.
- Shweta Maheshwaria, Amit P. Khandharb, Anurekha Jaina, Quantitative Determination and Validation of Ivabradine HCL by Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method and Spectrophotometric Method in Solid Dosage Form, Eurosean Journal of Analytical Chemistry.2010;5(1):53-62.
- Selva Kumar P, Pandiyan K, Rajagopal K, Development and Validation of Rapid RP-HPLC Method For Dissolution Release of Ivabradine Hydrochloride in Solid Oral Dosage Form, World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 3(7):1877-1888.
- M. C. Damle, R. A. Bagwe, Development and Validation of Stability-Indicating HPTLC Method for Ivabradine HCl, An International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharma Science Monitor. Jan-Mar 2015: 6(1): 141-152.
- Piotr Pikul, Joanna Nowakowska, Krzesimir Ciura, Chromatographic analysis of ivabradine on polar, nonpolar and chemically modified adsorbents by HPTLC. Journal of food and drug analysis.2013;21:165 – 168.
- Mitesh H. Motisariya, Kalpana Govindbhai Patel, Purvi A. Shah, Validated stability-indicating high performance thin layer chromatographic method for determination of Ivabradinehydrochloride in bulk and marketed formulation: An application to kinetic study, Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University .2013; 51: 233–241.
- Maryse Franc¸ ois-Bouchard, Gilles Simonin, Marie-Jeanne Bossant, Claire Boursier - Neyret, Simultaneous determination of ivabradine and its metabolites in human plasma by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry, Journal of Chromatography B, 2000;745:261–269.
- Chengtao Lua, Yanyan Jiaa, Jing Yanga, Xin Jina, Ying Songa, Wenxing Liua, Yi Dinga, Xiaoli Sunbn, Aidong Wena, Simultaneous determination of ivabradine and Ndesmethylivabradine in human plasma and urine using a LCMS/MS method: application to a pharmacokinetic study. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B, 2012;2(2):205–212.
- Prinesh N. Patel Roshan M. Borkar, Pradipbhai D. Kalariya, Rahul P. Gangwal, Abhay T. Sangamwar, Gananadhamu Samanthulaa and Srinivas Ragampeta, Characterization of degradation products of Ivabradine by LC-HR-MS/MS: a typical case of exhibition of different degradation behaviour in HCl and H2SO4 acid hydrolysis. Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 2015;50: 344–353.
- Bilal Yilmaz, Ali Asci, Sakir Arslan, Determination of metoprolol in human plasma and urine by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection, Journal of Separation Science, 2010;33:1904–1908.
- R. Buchi Reddy, Kishor R. More, Leena Gupta, Mukesh S. Jha, Laki Magar, Identification, synthesis, isolation and characterization of new impurity in metoprolol tartrate tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis.2016;117:104–108.
- Mariani A. Ciciliati, E´der T. G. Cavalheiro, Studies of thermal behavior of metoprolol tartrate, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. 2019;138(5):3653-3663.
- Sjoukje Postma-Kunnen, Jan Peter Yska, Gerard Hommema, Sikke Koopmans, Bob Wilffert, Eric N. van Roon, A validated high-resolution accurate mass LC-MS assay for quantitative determination of metoprolol and α-hydroxymetoprolol in human serum for application in pharmacokinetics. Journal of Applied Bioanalysis. June 2017;3(3): 49-57
- Sha Li, Xingli Wang, Kelong Peng, Zhiguo Ma, Xiaoqi Zhang, Shaolian Fu, Xiaofei Li, Linlin Li, Aihua Hong and Jie Jiang, Rapid and Sensitive LC-MS/MS Method for the Determination of Metoprolol in Beagle Dog Plasma with a Simple Protein Precipitation Treatment and Its Pharmacokinetic Applications, MDPI, Molecules. 2012; 17:2663-2674.
- Penny D. Colbourne, Glen B. Baker, and Ronald T. Coutts, A Rapid and Sensitive Electron-capture Gas Chromatographic Procedure for Analysis of Metoprolol in Rat Brain and Heart. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods. September 1997:38(1):27-31.
- Magnar Ervik, Quantitative determination of metoprolol in plasma and urine by gas chromatography, Actu pharmacol. et toxicol.1975; 36, suppl. V, 136-144.
- Ervik, Kerstin Kylberg-Hansenn and Lars Johannson, Determination of metoprolol in plasma and urine using highresolution gas chromatography and electron-capture detection, Journal of Chromatography.1986; 381:168-174.
- Mariani A. Ciciliati, E´der T. G. Cavalheiro, Studies of thermal behavior of metoprolol tartrate, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. 2019; 138(5):3653-3663.
- Mariani A. Ciciliati, E´der T. G. Cavalheiro, Studies of thermal behavior of metoprolol tartrate, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry.2019;138(5):3653-3663.
- Bidkar J.S, Vare S.R, Dama G. Y., Shelke M. M. and Dhokare A. M, Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Metoprolol and Ivabradine in Solid Dosage Form, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research.2019; 8(7):1742-1768.
- Sangameshwar B. Kanthale, Sanjay S. Thonte, Debarshi Kar Mahapatra, Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of ivabradine and metoprolol in bulk and tablet formulation, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. April 2019; 9(04):137-144.
- Suresh Gandi, A. Manikandan, S. Venkat Rao, Novel Stability indicating RP-UPLC Method for simultaneous Determination of Ivabradine and Metoprolol drug materials in bulk and their Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms , Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, Volume-13(1):2020.
- Wei Sun, Ruimin Chen, Wanshu Li, Hui Zhang, Jifeng Ye, Xiao Cuia and Chengke Huang, Simultaneous determination of ivabradine, metoprolol and their metabolites in rat plasma by ultraperformance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry and its application in a pharmacokinetic study, The Royal Society of Chemistry 2015;7:8459-8465.
- Prajakta Gopinath Thete, Ravindranath Bhanudas Saudagar. Analytical Method Development and Validation for the Determination of Ivabradine HCl by RP-HPLC in bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(2):89-92.
- Noopur K. Gandhi, Sindhu B. Ezhava. Stability indicating Analytical Method Development using Quality by Design (QbD) approach for simultaneous estimation of Ivabradine and Metoprolol. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(11):5937-4.
- Suresh Gandi, A. Manikandan, S. Venkat Rao. Novel Stability indicating RP-UPLC Method for simultaneous Determination of Ivabradine and Metoprolol drug materials in bulk and their Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(1):250-254.
- Mitesh D Phale, Purnima D Hamrapurkar. A Validated and Simplified RP-HPLC of Metoprolol Succinate from Bulk Drugs. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(2): April. -June, 2009 page 119-122.
- M. T. Mohite, V. V. Dudhabale, K. V. Chandgude. Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC, Method of Analysis for assay of Ivabradine HCl in SR Tablet. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2019; 9(3):133-137.
- Nirmala Rangu, B. Chaitanya Kumari, Ganesh Akula, A Jaswanth. Formulation and Evaluation of Metoprolol Orodispersible Tablets by Super Disintegration Method. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018;
- T. E. Gopala Krishna Murthy, V. Akash. Development of Metoprolol Tartrate Sustained Release Formulations by using Modified Starches. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(4): 241-246.
- Sojitra Rajanit, ViraniParas, Hashumati Raj. Absorption Correction Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Nifedipine and Metoprolol Succinate in Their Synthetic Mixture Using from Spectrophotometry. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2015; Vol. 5: Issue 1,Pg 13-16.
- Sagar B. Wankhede, Nitin R. Dixit, Somnath S. Zambare, Sohan S. Chitlange. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Quantitative Estimation of Atorvastatin Calcium and Metoprolol Succinate in Combined Dose Capsule Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(3): July- Sept. 2010; Page 663-665.
- Shailesh Dadge, Chaitali Dhale, Savita Yadav, Janhavi Rao. Stability Indicating HPTLC Method for Estimation of Metoprolol Tartrate in Bulk and in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(4):755-762.
- Shahana. V. P, Gayathri Ramya M, Rajesh A, Kathirvel. S. A Comprehensive Validation Method and Development of RP-HPLC for Simultaneous Estimation of Metoprolol, Telmisartan and Chlorthalidone in Bulk and its Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(6): 827-834.
Abstract Views: 107
PDF Views: 0