Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Review on Analgesic activity using Tail Immersion Method
An analgesic, or painkiller, is any member of the group of drugs used to achieve analgesia-relief from pain. Analgesic drugs act in various ways on the peripheral and central nervous systems. They are distinct from anesthetics, which reversibly eliminate sensation, and include Ibuprofen, the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] such as the salicylates, and opioid drugs such as morphine and opium. In choosing analgesics, the severity and response to other medication determines the choice of agent; the World Health Organization [WHO] pain ladder specifies mild analgesics as its first step. Analgesia/Pain is ill-defined unpleasant sensation evoked by stimulus [external / internal] – the most important symptom giving warning signal and primarily protective in nature. Analgesia due to blockade of pain nerve sensitizing mechanism induced by bradykinin, TNFα, ILs. An analgesic is a drug that selectively relieves pain by acting in the CNS or on peripheral pain mechanisms, without significantly altering consciousness. Pain is a warning signal, primarily protective in nature, but causes discomfort and suffering; may even be unbearable and incapacitating. Excessive pain may produce other effects- sinking sensation, apprehension, sweating, nausea, palpitation, rise or fall in BP, tachypnoea. Analgesics relieve pain as symptoms, without affecting it’s causes.
Administration timing, analgesic effect, Ibuprofen, inflammatory pain; non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug, pain intensity.
- Phillips WJ, Currier BL. Analgesic pharmacology: II. Specific analgesics. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004 Jul-Aug;12(4):221-33.
- Dawood MY. Primary dysmenorrhea: advances in pathogenesis and management. Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Aug;108(2):428-41.
- Kiron, S. et al. 2012. Analgesic activity study of Polygonum Glabrum will in the rodent.Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological, and Chemical science, 2012; 3(3): 1157.
- Veena, M. 2016. Analgesic activity of Cryptocarya stocksii plant by hot plate method International journal of herbal medicine, 2016; 4(1): 39-41.
- Hoor T, et al. 2011. Analgesic activity of Salvadora persica in mice. Medical channel 2011; 17(4): 22-24.
- Verma, A. Et Al. 2014. Synthesis, Characterization And Anticancer Activity Of Novel N-(Sugar Pyranosyl) Thienopyrimidine 4-Amine Derivatives. International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2014; 5(12): 922-925.
- Hajare S W, Chandra S, Tandan SK, Sarma J, Lal J, Telang A G, Analgesic and antipyretic activities of Dalbergia sissoo leaves. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2000; 32: 357-360.
- Rezazadeh S, Abbas K A, Morteza. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity of methanolic extracts of aerial parts of stachys schtschegleevii sosn and stachys balansae boiss.and kotschy ex boiss in rats. DARU. 2005; 13(4): 165-169.
- Krishnaveni M, Suja V, Vasanth S, Shyamaladevi CS. Antiinflammatory and analgesic actions of 4’,5,6-trihydroxy- 3’7- dimethoxy flavone-from vicoa indica d. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 1997; 29: 178-181.
- Qiang Jia,Weiwei Su,Wei Peng, Peibo Li, YonggangWang. Antidiarrhoea and analgesic activities of the methanol extract and its fractions of Jasminum amplexicaule Buch.-Ham. (Oleaceae), Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2008;119: 299–304.
Abstract Views: 107
PDF Views: 0