What Matters to South African Bank Customers? A Case Study of Four Main South African Banks
This paper is a follow-up article based on the first article titled "Customers speak for themselves: A case of Customer Satisfaction in the four Main South African Banks". Customer satisfaction within the banking industry is very important in the South African context. Although banks are trying their best to give their customers the best service, it is important to continuously measure customer satisfaction and identify service attributes that contribute to overall customer satisfaction for the banks. The data used in the analysis is based on a quantitative survey of 500 randomly selected customers in Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town were interviewed using a face to face methodology.
The key drivers of overall customer satisfaction based on regression analysis for the different banks were helpfulness and innovativeness (ABSA), helpfulness, innovativeness of the bank, resolution of problems and investment advice (FNB), language usage and friendliness of service consultants (Nedbank), innovativeness of the bank, investment advice and use of language (Standard bank). These attributes were important to the overall customer satisfaction and need to be closely monitored by the management of these banks.
- Arnold, S. F. (1990). Mathematical statistics. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Banerjee, A., Dolado, J., Galbraith, J. W., & Hendry, D. F. (1993). Co-integration, error-correction, and the econometric analysis of non-stationary data: Advanced texts in econometrics. New York, Oxford University Press, Inc.
- Bernard, H. R. (1995). Research methods in anthropology (2nd ed.). New Dehli: Altamira Press.
- Campbell, A., & Tawadey, K. (1990). Mission and business philosophy: Waning employee commitment. Billings, London.
- Darsono, L. I., & Junaedi, C. M. (2006). An examination of perceived quality, satisfaction, and loyalty relationship: Applicability of comparative and noncomparative evaluation. Gadjah Mada International Journal of Business, 8(3), 323-342.
- Deschamps, J. P., & Nayak, P. R. (1995). Product Juggfernauts: How companies mobilize to generate a stream of market winners. USA, Watertown: Harvard Business School Press.
- Gerber, P. D., Nel, P. S., & Van Dyk, P. S. (1998). Human resources management (4th ed.). International Thomson Publishing (Southern Africa) (Pvt) Ltd, South Africa.
- Gibson, J. L. (2007). Truth and reconciliation as social indicators. Social indicators research. An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality of Life Measurement. Springer: Netherlands, 257-281.
- Gratton, L. (2000). Living Strategy: Putting people at the heart of corporate purpose. Great Britain: Pearson Education Limited.
- Greenland, S., Coshall, J., & Combe, I. (2006). Evaluating service quality and consumer satisfaction in emerging markets. Internal Journal of Consumer Studies, 30(6), 582-590.
- Gupta, S., & Zeithaml, V. (2006). Customer metrics and their impact on financial performance. marketing science, 25(6), 718-739.
- Han, S. B., Chen, S. K., & Ebrahimpour, M. (2007). The Impact of ISO 9000 on TQM and business performance. Journal of Business and Economic Studies. 13(2), 1-23.
- Hill, C. W. L. (2003). International business: Competing in the global marketplace (4th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Irwin Inc.
- Hoel, P.G. (1984). Introduction to Mathematical Statistics. (5th ed.). USA: John Wiley and Sons.
- Human, L. (2005). Diversity Management for Business Success. Pretoria: Van Schaik publishers,South Africa.
- Jones, T.O. and Sasser, W.E. (1995). Why satisfied customers defect. Harvard Business Review, (pp 88-99). November December Issue.
- Kano, N., Seraku, N., & Takahashi, T. S. (1984). Attractive quality and must-be quality. The Jounal of Japanese Society for Quality Control, 39-48.
- Keegan, W. J. (1999). Global marketing management (6th ed.). Prentice Hall: Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- Kotler, P., & Keller, K. L. (2006). Marketing management. (12th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River.
- Matzler, K., Renzl, B., & Rothenberger, S. (2006). Measuring the relative importance of dimensions in the formation of price satisfaction and service satisfaction. A case study in the hotel industry. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 6(3), 179-196.
- May, P. (2000). The business of ecommerce. from corporate strategy to technology. New York: Cambridge University Press. SIGS Books.
- Mendehall, W. (1983). Introduction to probability and statistics (6th ed.). Duxbury Press, Boston.
- Mood, A. M., Graybill, F. A., & Boes, D. C. (1963). Introduction to the theory of statistics (3rd ed.). Singapore: McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- Mouton, J. (2001). How to succeed in your Master’s and Doctoral Studies. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Mutsonziwa, K. (2015). Customers speak for themselves: A case of Customer Satisfaction in the four Main South African Banks. International Journal on Customer Relations, 3(1), 1-15.
- Wegner, T. (2007). Applied business statistics: Methods and excel-based applications (2nd ed.). Juta and Company Ltd. Cape Town, South Africa.
- Wiklund, H., Klefso, B., Wiklund, P., & Edvardsson, B. (2003). Innovation and total quality management in swedish higher education institutions possibilities and pitfalls. The TQM Magazine, 15(2), 97-107.
- Woldie, A. (2003). Nigerian banks-quality of services. Journal of African Business, 4(2). New York: USA.
- Wonnacott, R. J., & Wonnacott, T. H. (1979). Econometrics (2nd ed.). Singapore: John Wiley and Sons.
- Richards, R., O’leary, B., & Mutsonziwa, K. (2007). Measuring quality of life in informal settlements in South Africa. social indicators research. An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality of Life Measurement. Springer: Netherlands. 375-388
- Rwigema, H., & Venter, R. (2006). Advanced entrepreneurship. Cape Town. Oxford University Press Southern Africa.
- Salvador, C., Rebolloso, E., Fernandez-Ramirez, B., & Canton, M. (2007). Service price components and their relationship with customer satisfaction. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, 6(1), 40-50.
- Sheaffer, R. L., Mendenhall, W., & Ott, L. (1990). Elementary survey sampling (4th ed.). Duxbury Press: PWS-KENT Publishing Company.
- Synovate News Release (2005). Retrieved from www.synovate.com
- Thompson, A. A., Strickland III, A. J., & Gamble, J. E. (2007). Crafting and executing strategy (15th ed.). Text and Readings. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- Thompson, A.A and Strickland III, A.J. (1994). Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases. Texas: Business Publications, Inc.
- http://www.sas-index.co.za/Microsoft Word - SASIndexPressRelease_BankingOct05.pdf [Accessed-22 October 2007]
- http://www.wizardmidrand.com/home-loans/nca/nationalcredit-act.html [Accessed-10 December 2007]
- html [Accessed 15 February 2008]
- http://www.saarf.co.za [Accessed 8 July 2008] http://www.plus94online.co.za/ [Accessed 8 July 2008]
- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5440/is_200512/ ai_n21386669 [Accessed 7 November 2008]
Abstract Views: 207
PDF Views: 0