Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Recruiting Challenges of E-Commerce Start-Ups in India
E-commerce start-ups in India have been on rise since last decade, offering numerous product choices to customers. But the start-ups cannot sustain and flourish only on the vision of entrepreneur. They need right employees to take the vision forward. Recruiting for start-ups is a challenge as start-ups are not in a position to offer what an established business house can. This study aims to find the key challenges faced by start-ups in acquiring the right, retainable, desired talent. This study has been carried out with the support of secondary sources as well as primary sources in form of personal interview with Human Resource personnel, hiring managers and the founders of the organizations selected; and a few recruitment consultants who serve e-commerce consultants. Findings suggest a strong inclination of start-ups towards applicants with Tier-1 education institutes’ qualification and/or those coming from reputed big groups. Leadership qualities, flexibility, energetic and self-motivated, and the value/culture congruence of candidates with the organization are some of the key attributes as desired by them. High growth oriented, with almost no gestation period, and ambiguous nature of the start-ups during initial growing years throw a challenge whilst recruiting the desired talent. In today’s competing era, start-ups also face competition from established groups. Whilst on applicants’ front, though there are people willing to move from established groups to start-ups, job stability is one of the key concerns on the applicants’ minds.
Start-Up, E-Commerce, Recruitment Challenges, Talent Acquisition.
- Baird, L., & Meshoulam, I. (1988). Managing two fits of strategic human resource management. The Academy of Management Review, 13(1), 116-128.
- Basu, S. D., & Sengupta, D. (2016, April 27). Thrifty Indian start-ups eye local talent [Start-ups]. The Economic Times (Online). Retrieved September 14, 2016, from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1784282645?accountid=163961
- Bencsik, A., Horvath-Csikos, G., & Juhasz, T. (2016). Y and Z generations at workplaces. Journal of Competitiveness. Retrieved December 1, 2016, from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1826360588/B60E490F1E504F0BPQ/1?accountid=163961
- Box, M. (2011). Founding Team Gender Structure and the Effects of Spouse Teams on New Venture Performance in Sweden. ICSB World Conference Proceedings (pp. 1-23). Washington: Washington: International Council for Small business.
- Cho, D. H., & Son, J. M. (2012). Job embeddedness and turnover intentions: an empirical investigation of construction IT industries. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 40, 101-110.
- Deserving Companies to Draw Benefits of Start-up India Action Plan. (2016, February 22). The Economic Times. Retrieved April 28, 2016, from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/small-biz/start-ups/deserving-companies-to-draw-benefits-of-start-up-india-action-plan/articles-how/51084581.cms
- (2016, April). E-Commerce in India: A game changer for the economy. Retrieved December 3, 2016, from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/in/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/in-tmt-e-commerce-in-india-noexp.pdf
- Fitz-enz, J. (2000). The ROI human capital: Measuring the economic value of employee performance. American Management Association, New York, NY.
- Forster, M., Parrer, P., & Woss, N. M. (2013). Personality: Blessing or curse? The entrepreneur’s path from personal to leadership competencies. Organizacija, 46(5), 221.
- Ganesh, R., & Kimani, V. (2013). Recognizing, rewarding and retaining Gen-Y work force for creating high performing organizations. Journal of Commerce and Management Thought, 4(3), 562-573.
- Good news for start-ups: Govt approves ‘fund of funds’. (2016, June 22). Businessline. Chennai, India: Kasturi and Sons Ltd.
- Hamilton, R. H. (2001). Ecommerce new venture performance: How funding impacts culture. Internet Research, 11(4), 277-285.
- Have start-ups benefited from expensive Silicon Valley recruit. (2016, April 20). Retrieved April 21, 2016, from http://www.livemint.com/Companies/kaoQiWy1HxqRmNjKaBP0kI/Have-start-ups-benefited-from-expensive-Silicon-Valley-recru.html
- Holley, R. (1999). The special recruitment challenges of start-ups. Computer Reseller News(833), 119. Retrieved January 16, 2017, from http://search.proquest.com/docview/227567357/3CACC7455F6A4ED1PQ/4?accountid=163961
- Jacoby, M. (2015). Retrieved September 28, 2016, from http://www.huffingtonpost.in/entry/tips-for-managing-generat_b_6897516
- Joshi, M., & Srivastava, A. (2015). Enhancing dynamic capability: A case of Microlit. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies, 7(1), 67-79.
- KPMG. (2016). Retrieved January 17, 2017, from https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/in/pdf/2016/12/impact-of-ecommerce-on-employment-in-india.pdf
- Leung, A. (2003). Different ties for different needs: Recruitment practices of entrepreneurial firms at different developmental phases. Human Resource Management, 42(4), 303-320.
- Maheshwari, R. (2016, February 18). Indian ecommerce market to grow fastest globally over 3 years: Morgan Stanley. Retrieved January 13, 2017, from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/services/retail/indian-ecommerce-market-to-grow-fastest-globally-over-3-years-morgan-stanley/articleshow/51031652.cms
- Messersmith, J., & Guthrie, J. (2010). High performance work systems in emergent organizations: Implications for firm performance. Human Resource Management, 49(2), 241-264.
- Minton-Eversole, T. (2009). Quality measurement: Key to best-in-class talent acquisition. Society for Human Resource Management. Retrieved December 9, 2016, from http://search.proquest.com/docview/205029323?accountid=163961
- NASSCOM. (2016). Indian start-up ecosystem maturing.
- Parthasarathy, M., & Pingle, S. (2014, November). Study of talent acquisition practices: a review on global perspective. International Journal of Emerging Research in Management & Technology. Retrieved September 24, 2015, from https://www.ermt.net/docs/papers/Volume_3/11_November2014/V3N11-183.pdf
- Pasricha, A. (2016, January 22). Indian entrepreneurs welcome government initiative to boost start-ups. Voice of America News. Lanham, United States: Federal Information & News Dispatch Inc.
- Phillips, J. M., & Gully, S. M. (2015). Multilevel and strategic recruiting:where have we been, where can we go from here? Journal of Management, 41(5), 1416-1445.
- Phillips, J., Gully, S., & Castellano, W. (2014). Retrieved January 9, 2017, from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1545979959/fulltextPDF/CF3BCE36DB442BFPQ/2?accountid=163961
- Six mistakes of tinyowl-the blue-eyed start-up child. (2016, March 14). Business Standard. Retrieved April 27, 2016, from http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/six-mistakes-of-tinyowl-the-blue-eyed-start-up-child-116031400038_1.html
- Srivastava, P., & Bhatnagar, J. (2008). Talent acquisition due diligence leading to high employee engagement: Case of Motorola India MDB. Industrial and Commercial Training, 40(5), 253-260.
- Start-ups & High Growth Businesses. (n.d.). SBA. Retrieved April 28, 2016, from https://www.sba.gov/starting-business/how-start-business/business-types/start-ups-high-growth-businesses
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0