Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Casinos in Goa:The Challenge Ahead is to Implement Sustainable Strategies to Minimize Their III-Effects
The government of Goa has been promoting casino tourism in Goa arguing that promoting casinos is necessary to bolster the economic growth of Goa especially in the aftermath of the mining ban that deprived Goa and its government of the substantial revenue generated through mining. The casino promotion, however, has met with strong protests in Goa from the time the government decided to encourage casinos to expand the growth of tourism in Goa. Casinos have taken strong roots in Goa and clearing the ever-growing forest of casinos is becoming more and more difficult as years roll by. The offshore casinos have almost fused with the landscape of Panjim making it almost next to impossible to visualize Panjim and the river Mandovi sans the casinos. At this juncture, accepting, despite all opposition, that the reality of Panjim ‘casinoscape’ will linger on into the future, the challenges ahead lie in implementing sustainable strategies to maximize the gains from casinos and counteract the prospective ill-effects from casino type tourism instead of imagining a return back to the Panjim of the 1990s and earlier.
Casinos, Economy, Employment, Crime, Strategies.
- Benton, C. (2015). The economic and social effects of casino development in Macau, UNLV Theses, Dissertations, Professional Papers, and Capstones. Paper 2601.
- Buncombe, A. (2007). Floating casinos threaten Goa’s hippie paradise. Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/floating-casinos-threaten-goas-hippie-paradise-5334653.html. Accessed the 29th of July 2017.
- Chan, S. T. M., Kwok, C. L. Y., & Siu, J. Y. N. (2015). The Macau family-in-transition: the perceived impact of casino employment on family relationships among dealer families. The Open Family Studies Journal, 7 (Suppl 2: M5), 86-95.
- Cotti, C. (2008). The effect of casinos on local labor markets: A county level analysis. The Journal of Gambling Business and Economics, 2(2), 17-41.
- Eadington, W. R. (1999). The spread of casinos and their role in tourism development. In D. G. Pearce and Richard Butler (Eds.) Contemporary Issues in Tourism Development, Routledge: London, pp. 127-142.
- Galaviz, J. (2012) Theboomerang effect: Asia’s casino industry growth can “fly back” to benefit Las Vegas. UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, 16(1), 87-92.
- GMA (2016). Gaming in India: An Evaluation of the Market’s Potential - A White Paper. Retrieved from http://global-marketadvisors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/GMA_Gaming-In-India-White-Paper_April28.pdf. Accessed the 2nd of August 2017
- Gomes, V. (29 August, 2016). Offshore casinos an eye sore. Herald, p. 8.
- Gonzales, A. A., Lyson, T. A., & Mauer, K. W. (2007). What does a casino mean to a tribe? Assessing the impact of casino development on Indian reservations in Arizona and New Mexico. The Social Science Journal, 44, 405-419.
- Henderson, J. C. (2012) Developing and regulating casinos: The case of Singapore. Tourism and Hospitality Research, 12(3), 139-146.
- Leu, G.-J. M., & Chung, K. Y. (2012). A policy innovation for social and economic development: The case of integrated resorts in Singapore. Social systems studies, 24, 151-179
- McCartney, G. J. (2005). Casinos as a tourism redevelopment strategy: The case of Macao. Journal of Macau Gaming Research Association, 2, 42-54.
- McCartney, G. J. (2016). Play the cards, roll the dice – The integration of casinos within Asian tourism destination development strategy. UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, 20(2), 119-140.
- Moufakkir, O., & Timothy, D. (2014) Eyes on casino gaming in China: Residents’ attitudes toward casino gaming development in Sanyacity, apre-casino establishment analysis. UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, 18(1), 85-113.
- Pokerguru. (2015) Goa government once again in confusion over casino relocation. Retrieved from http://www.pokerguru.in/article/Goa-Government-Once-Again-in-Confusion-Over-Casino-Relocation. Accessed the 1st of August 2017.
- Pokerguru. (2016). No alternate location for Goa’s offshore casinos yet, says CM. Retrieved from http://www.pokerguru.in/article/No-Alternate-Location-for-Goa%60s-Offshore-Casinos-Yet,-Says-CM. Accessed the 1st of August 2017.
- Public Consultation. (2017). Southern shores of Singapore. Public Consultation on Integrated Resort. http://www.wildsingapore.com/sos/saynov.htm. Accessed the 3rd of August 2017.
- Rato, R., & Davey, G. (2012). Quality of life in Macau, China. Social Indicators Research, 105(1), 93-108.
- Sify.com. (2013) Protests against casinos mark I-day in Goa. Retrieved from http://www.sify.com/finance/protests-against-casinos-mark-i-day-in-goa-news-national-nipouefcfgesi.html. Accessed the 29th of July 2017.
- Siu, R. C. S. (2007). Is casino gaming a productive sector? A conceptual and cross jurisdiction analysis. Journal of Gambling Business and Economics, 1(2), 129-146.
- Thompson, W. N. (2012). Why they say “no” (casi-“no”): Countries that reject legalized casino gambling. UNLV Gaming Law Journal, 2(2), 195-230.
- Ucanews. (1992). Goa archdiocese urges citizens to fight for justice. Retrieved from http://www.ucanews.com/story-archive/?post_name=/1992/09/11/goa-archdiocese-urges-citizens-to-fight-for-social-justice&post_id=41906. Accessed the 1st of August 2017)
- Ucanews. (1996). Church, secular activists oppose government plan for casinos in Goa. Retrieved from http://www.ucanews.com/story-archive/?post_name=/1996/10/30/church-secular-activists-oppose-government-plan-for-casinos-in-goa&post_id=8385. Accessed the 1st of August 2017.
- Verma, V. (22 April, 2017) Gaming official will regulate casino industry. Herald.
- Vong, F. C. K. (2004) Gambling attitudes and gambling behavior of residents of Macao: The Monte Carlo of the orient. Journal of Travel Research, 42(3), 271-278.
- Wan, Y. K. P, Li, X. C., & Kong, W. H. (2011) Social impacts of casino gaming in Macao: A qualitative analysis. Tourism: An International Interdisciplinary Journal, 59(1), 63-82.
- Williams, R. J., Belanger, Y. D., & Arthur, J. N. (2001). Gambling in Alberta: History, current status and socioeconomic impacts. Final Report to the Alberta Gaming Research Institute. Retrieved from http://research.uleth.ca/seiga/seiga_final_report.pdf. Accessed the 29th of July 2017.
- Williams, R. J., Rehm, J., & Stevens, R. M. G. (11 March, 2011). The Social and Economic Impacts of Gambling. Final Report prepared for the Canadian Consortium for Gambling Research.
- Xinhua News Agency. (2008) Macao’s forex reserves reach US$13.6. Retrieved from http://www.china.org.cn/china/2008-04/01/content_14026012.htm. Assessed the 27th of July 2017.
- Zubair, A. (2007) Fromhippy hang-out to casino capital. BBC News. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6405881.stm. Accessed the 31st of July 2017.
Abstract Views: 87
PDF Views: 0