Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Performance Appraisal Practices in Indian Hotel Industry:An Investigation of Employee’s Perceptions
This paper has a two-fold purpose: to explore the extent of inclusion of performance appraisal practices as perceived by the employees working in sample hotels and to find if these practices depend on the organisational demographic characteristics. Based on a survey of 396 hotel employee’s perceptions on performance appraisal practices were assessed by 20 practices and 5 demographic variables. To find the association of the demographic variables with performance appraisal practices Bivariate test was used. Results indicated that performance rating is based on objective; Performance is Proper Evaluation; There are set standards for my job; Employee performance is easy to measure;Performance is Continuous Monitoring; The performance appraisal system is used to set my performance goals; Modern methods are used to evaluate the employees; All employees in the business are evaluated may constitute the most important performance appraisal practices in the Indian hotel industry. Further, the results indicate that there is a negative association between the number of staff and most performance appraisal practices variables these findings reveal that the hotels having a large number of staff rated the additional importance of performance appraisal practices as compared to hotels with less number of staff. The study makes a modest effort to add statistics to the little empirical information available concerning the performance appraisal practices in Indian hotel industry.
Performance, Appraisal, Hotel, Practice, Industry, India.
- Warokka, A., & Gallato, C. G. (2012). Organizational justice in performance appraisal system and work performance. Journal of Human Resources Management Research, 2012(2012), pages 18. Article ID 159467, DOI: 10.5171/2012.159467
- Bahrija U., Herzegovina, B., & Mirela, C. (2012). Functions of the performance appraisal system: Analyses and their impact on level of employees’ motivation. International Journal of Sustainable Economies Management, 1(1), 1-15.
- Bernardin H. J., & Russell, J. E. A. (1993). Human resources management: An experiential approach. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Boachie-Mensah, F. (2011). Performance-based pay as a motivational tool for achieving organisational performance: An exploratory case study. International Journal of Business and Management, 6(12).
- Boswell, W. R., & Boudreau, J. W. (2002). Separating the developmental and evaluative performance appraisal uses. Journal of Business and Psychology, 6, 391-412.
- Bowra, Z. A., & Nasir, A. (2014). Impact of fairness of performance appraisal on motivation and job satisfaction in banking sector of Pakistan. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 4(2), 16-20. Text Road Publication ISSN 2090-4304.
- Brumbach, G. (2003). Blending the we/me in performance management: Team performance management. International Journal, 9(7/8), 167-173.
- Byrne, Z. S., & Cropanzano, R. (2001). The History of Organizational Justice: The Founders Speak,’ In Cropanzano (Ed.) Justice in the Workplace: From Theory to Practice, 3-26, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Cascio W. F. (1991). Applied psychology in personal management (4th ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, pp. 301-317.
- Cardy R. L., & Dobbins, G. H. (1994). Performance appraisal: Alternative perspectives. Cincinnati, OH: South-Western Publishing.
- Cameron, J., & Pierce, W. D. (2002). Rewards and intrinsic motivation: Resolving the controversy. Westport, CT: Bergin and Garvey.
- Cleveland, J. N., Murphy, K. R., & Williams, R. E. (1989). Multiple uses of performance appraisal: Prevalence and correlates. Journal of Applied Psychology, 74, 130-135.
- Coens,T., & Jenkins, M. (2000). Abolishing performance appraisals. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.
- Cohen-Charash, Y., & Spector, P. E. (2001). The role of justice in organizations: A meta-analysis. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 86(2), 278-321. Colquitt, J. A., Conlon, D. E., Wesson, M. J.
- Dulewicz, V. (1989). Performance appraisal and counselling, In Herriot, P., Assessment and selection in organizations: Methods and practices for recruitment and appraisal (pp. 645-649). John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Deepa, E., & Kuppusamy, S. (2014). Impact of performance appraisal system on job satisfaction, employee engagement organizational citizenship behaviour and productivity. Indian Journal of Applied Research, 4(2).
- Fletcher, C. (2001). Performance appraisal and management: The developing research agenda. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 74.
- Judge, T. A., & Ferris, G. R. (1993). Social context of performance evaluation decisions. Academy of Management Journal, 36(1), 80-105.
- Roberts, G. E. (2003). Employee performance appraisal system participation. Sage Journal, 32(1), 89-98.
- Giles, W., & Mossholder, K. W. (1990). Employee reactions to contextual and session components of performance appraisal. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75, 371-377.
- Grubb, T. (2007). Performance appraisal reappraised: It’s not all positive. Journal of Human Resource Education, 1(1), 1-22.
- Güngör, P. (2011). The relationship between reward management system and employee performance with the mediating role of motivation: A quantitative study on global banks. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1510-1520.
- Al-Qudah, H. S. S. (2011). Effect of performance evaluation at human resource department. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(16), September 2011 Harris, M. M. (1994). Rater motivation in the performance appraisal context: A theoretical framework. Journal of Management 20(4), 737-756.
- Ismail, A., Mashkuri, A. H., Sulaiman, A. Z., & Hock, W. K. (2011). Interactional justice as a mediator of the relationship between pay for performance and job satisfaction. Intangible Capital, 7(2), 213-235.
- Iqbal, N., Ahmad, N., & Batool, Y. (2013) Impact of performance appraisal on employee’s performance involving the moderating role of motivation. Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review (OMAN Chapter), 3(1).
- Kinicki, A. J., Prussia, G. E., Wu, B. J., & McKee-Ryan, F. M. (2004). A covariance structure analysis of employees’ response to performance feedback. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(6), 1057-1069.
- Kaleem, M. M, Jabeen, B., & Twana, M. J. (n.d.). Organizational justice in performance appraisal system: Impact on employees satisfaction and work performance. International Journal of Management & Organizational Studies, 2(2). ISSN: 2305-2600.
- Ono, K. (2003) United States Patent Application Publication Pub. No.: US 2007/0185990
- Kavanagh, P., Benson, J., & Brown, M. (2007). Understanding performance appraisal fairness. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 45, 132.
- Kellough, J. E. (2002). Employee Performance Appraisal and Pay for Performance in the Public Sector: A Critical Examination, In Ban, C. & N. M. Riccucci, eds. Public personnel management: Current concerns, future challenges. New York: Longman Publishers.
- Kuvaas, B. (2006). Performance appraisal satisfaction and employee outcomes mediating and moderating roles of work motivation. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17, 504-522.
- Mehta, A. K. (2014). Impact of performance appraisal system on employee motivation. Abhinav International Monthly Refereed Journal of Research in Management & Technology, 3(6). Online ISSN-2320-0073
- Mathew, U., & Johnson, J. (2015). Impact of performance appraisal. IOSR Journal of Business and Management (IOSR-JBM), 17(6), Ver. II (June. 2015), pp. 21-24. e-ISSN: 2278-487X, p-ISSN: 2319-7668.
- Murphy K. R., & Cleveland, J. N., (1995). Understanding performance appraisal: Social organizational and goal-based perspectives. Sage and thousand oaks, CA.
- Newton T., & Findley, P. (1996). Playing God? The performance of appraisal. Human Resource Management Journal, 6, 42-58.
- Oberg, W. (1972). Make performance appraisal relevant. Harvard Business Review, January-February, pp. 62.
- Ojokuku, R. M. (2013). Effect of performance appraisal system on motivation and performance of academics in Nigerian public universities. Australian Journal of Business and Management Research.
- Park, H. J., Mitsuhashi, H., Fey, C. F., & Bjorkman, I. (2003). The effect of human resource management practices on Japanese MNC subsidiary performance: A practical mediating model. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14(8), 1391-1406.
- Levy, P. E., & Williams, J. R. (2004). The social context of performance appraisal: A review and framework for the future. Journal of Management, 30(6), 881-905.
- Pettijohn, C., Pettijohn, L. S., Taylor A. J., & Keillor, B. D. (2001). Are performance appraisals a bureaucratic exercise or can they be used to enhance sales-force satisfaction and commitment? Psychology and Marketing, 18, 337-364.
- Pettijohn, C. E., Pettijohn, L. S., & s d’Amico, M. (2001). Characteristics of performance appraisals and their impact on sales force satisfaction. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 12, 127-146.
- Platts, K. W., & Sobotka, M. (2010). When the uncountable counts: An alternative to. Business Horizons, 53, 349-357.
- Pratheepkanth, P. (2011). Reward system and its impact on employee motivation in commercial bank of Sri Lanka Plc, in Jaffna district. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 11(4), 0975-5853.
- Darehzereshki, M. (2013). Examining the relationship of performance appraisal system and employee. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(22).
- Karimi, R., Malik, M. I, & Hussain, S. (2011). Examining the relationship of performance appraisal system and employee satisfaction. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(22).
- Singh, R., Mohanty, M., & Mohanty, A. K. (2013). Asian Journal of Management Research, 4(2), 262.
- Selvarajan T. T., & Cloninger, P. A. (2009). The influence of job performance outcomes on ethical assessments. Personnel Review, 38(4), 398-412.
- Saeed, R., Lodhi, R. N., Naeem, A., Rehman, A. U., Mahmood, Z., & Ahmad, M. (2013). Impact of performance appraisals and motivation on employee’s output in banking sector of Pakistan. World Applied Sciences Journal, 26(3), 415-421.
- Seldon, S. C., Ingraham, P. W., & Jacobson, W. (2001). Human resource practices in state government: Findings from a national survey. Public Administration Review, 61, 598-614.
- Townley, B. (1999). Practical reason and performance appraisal. Journal of Management Studies, 36, 287-306.
- Wong, C., & Law, K. S. (2002). The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. Leadership Quarterly, 13(3), 243-274.
- Wood, R. E., & Marshall, V. (2008). Accuracy and effectiveness in appraisal outcomes: The influence of self-efficacy, personal factors and organisational variables. Human Resource Management Journal, 18(3), 295-313.
- Webb, A. (2004). Manager’s commitment to goals in a strategic performance management system. Contemporary Accounting Research, 21(4), 925-958.
- Wright, P. M., & Gardner, T. (2003). The human resource-firm performance relationship: Methodological and theoretical challenges. In holman, D, Wall, T., Clegg, C., Sparrow, P. and Howard, A. The New Workplace: A Guide to the Human Impact of Modern Working Practices, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Baruch, Y. (1996). Self performance appraisal vs direct-manager appraisal: A case of congruence. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 11(6), 50-65.
Abstract Views: 48
PDF Views: 0