Open Access Subscription Access
Impact of Organized Retail Strategy on Buying Behavior – A Case Study of Saudi Arabian Region
This research unveils the facts and figures about organized retailing in Saudi Arabia and its influence on consumer behavior. This study reviews the literature about different initiatives taken by the retail sector to enhance sales in the retail store. Here, the focus is on how retail strategy has an impact on the buying intention of the consumer. The main aim of this research is to endorse, the various strategies taken by the retail stores and their impact in context to demographic variables. Consequently, the research results point to the fact that organized retail has a significant impact on the buying decision of consumers. It could be said that recent changes in the retail strategy in the kingdom has made a significant impact on the buying intention of the consumer and it has been observed that sales pattern has been increased significantly
Organized Retail, Consumer Behavior, Buying Intention, Retailing, Saudi Arabia, Buying Behavior.
- Aaker, D. and Keller, K.L. (1990), Consumer evaluations of brand extensions. Journal of Marketing, 54(1), 27-42. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299005400102
- Aggarwal, V. (2008), The Era of Retail Revolution: Contribution to Economy, In: Aneet, R. S. (Ed.), Research in Management and Technology, 429-442. Deep and Deep Publications Pvt. Ltd.
- Ajith. K., T., Reni L., &, Vipin. K.V.P., (2018), The Impact of Visual Merchandising, on Impulse Buying Behavior of Retail Customers. International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology. Volume 6 (2). 474-491. ISSN 2321-9653.
- Ailawadi, K.L., & Keller, K. (2004), Understanding retail branding: conceptual insights and research priorities. Journal of Retailing, 80, 331-342. DOI:10.1016/J.JRETAI.2004.10.008
- Areni, C. S., & Kim, D. (1994), The influence of instore lighting on consumers examination of merchandise in a wine store. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 11( 2), 117-125
- Arshad, A., Amin, S. M. N., siraj, S. S. and Japar, S. B. (2007). “New distribution records of sergestid shrimp, Acetes intermedius (Decapoda: Sergestidae) from Peninsular Malaysia with notes on it population characteristics”, Journal of Biological Science, 7(8) , 1305-1313.
- Arshad, S. A. and Hisam, M. W. (2008), “Issues in Retailing”, In: Aneet, R. S. (Ed.), 109-118. Deep and Deep Publications Pvt. Ltd.
- Banat, A., & Wandebori, H. S. T. (2012), Store Design and Store Atmosphere Effect on Customer Sales per Visit Economics, 2nd International Conference on Business, Economics, Management and Behavioral Sciences (BEMBS'2012) Bali (Indonesia).
- Bandyopadhyay, S., Gupta, K. and Dube, L. (2005), “Does brand loyalty influence double jeopardy? A theoretical and empirical study”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 14 (7) . 414-423.
- Bansal, S. and Gupta, G. (2001), ‟Building Customer Loyalty Business-to-Business Commerce”, In Sheth, J.N. parvatiyar, A. and Shainesh, G. (eds.), Customer Relationship Management, New Delhi, Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Bashar, A., Ahmed, I. (2012), Visual merchandising and consumer impulse buying behavior: An Empirical study of Delhi & NCR, International Journal of Retail Management & Research, 2, ISSN 2277-4750
- Bastos, J. A. R. and Gallego, P. M. (2008), Pharmacies Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty: A Framework Analysis, Journal of Marketing, Universidad de Salamanca.
- Baumol, W. J. and Edward A. Ide. (1956), “Variety in Retailing”. Management Science, Journal of Business Research, 33, 93–101.
- Borle, S., Boatwright, P., Kadane, J. B., Nunes, J. C., & Shmueli, G. (2005), The Effect of Product Assortment Changes on Customer Retention, Marketing Science, 24(4), 525-648. https://doi.org/10.1287/ mksc.1050.0121.
- Brown, Stephen (1989), Retail Location Theory: The Legacy of Harold Hotelling. Journal of Retailing, 65 (Winter), 450-70. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/
- Bennet, R. and Rundle-Thiele, S. (2004), Customer satisfaction should not be the only Goal, Journal of Service Marketing, 18(7), pp. 514–523.
- Chai, K. H., Ding, Y. and Xing, Y. (2009), ‟Quality and Customer Satisfaction Spillovers in the Mobile Phone Industry, Service Science”, 1(2): 93-106.
- CII, Report. (2008), Retail Scenario in India Unlimited Opportunity, Available at: http:// www.ibef.org/ attachdisplay.aspx?cat_ id=375andart_id=4165.
- David W. S. (2019), Histogram. Rice University, Houston.
- Deepika.J., & Neeraja.T., (2012), Lighting Impact on Consumer’s Shopping Behaviour in Retail Cloth Stores. International Journal of Science and Research. Vol(3)11. 933 938.www.ijsr.net.
- Dimple.K., (2017), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Customer Satisfaction and Customer Lifetime Value in Retail. Review of Professional Management. 15 (2). 55-60.
- Elizabeth M Visser et.al, (2006), Importance of Aparels Store Image Attributes: Perception of Female Consumers, SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 32 (3), 49- 62 SA Tydskrif vir Bedryfsielkunde,
- Farhan, J., k., M (2018), Women Driving in Saudi Arabia: Ban Lifted, what are the Economic and Health Effects? Baker Institute for Public Policy. Rice University.
- Fiore, A. M., Yah, X. & Yoh, E. (2000), Effects of a Product Display and Environmental Fragrancing on Approach Responses and Pleasurable Experiences, Psychology & Marketing17(1)., 27–54.
- Hanaa. A.H.E. (2018), Economic Growth of Saudi Arabia Between Present and Future According to 2030 Vision. Asian Social Science. 14 (12). DOI:10.5539/ass.v14n12p192.
- Hendra. H. and Kaihatu, T. S. (2019), How Does The Store (Mall) Environment And Money Availability Affect Consumer Impulse Buying Behavior At Surabaya City Of Tomorrow Shopping Center? Jurnal Riset Manajemen Dan Bisnis (JRMB) Fakultas Ekonomi UNIAT, 4(2), 215-224. https:// doi.org/10.36226/jrmb.v4i2.259
- Hoch (1998), Store Brands and Category Management. Wharton School University of Pennsylvani
- Huff. (1964). Defining and Estimating a Trading Area. University of California, Los Angeles.
- Hussain, R. & Ali, M. (2015), Effect of Store Atmosphere on Consumer Purchase Intention. International Journal of Marketing Studies; Vol. 7(2 ). 35-42. doi:10.5539/ijms.v7n2p35
- Jain, R., & Bagdare, S. (2011), Music and consumption experience: a review. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 39(4):289-302, doi:10.1108/09590551111117554
- Josée Bloemer et. al,(1997), On the relationship between store image, store satisfaction and store loyalty, European Journal of Marketing, 32(5/6) 499-513. https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?d oi=10.1.1.537.3455&rep=r
- Justine. M., & Yan.Y., (2019), Effects of Lighting Quality on Working Efficiency of Workers in Office Building in Tanzania. Journal of Environmental and Public Health Volume 2019. Article ID 3476490, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3476490.
- Kokku. R. and Abdulrahman. A. (2015), What, Who, How And Where: Retailing Industry In Saudi Arabia. Journal of Competitiveness Studies. Vol. 23 (3). 54-69.
- Kaul, S. (2020), The future of consumer behavior and brand strategy post Covid 19. Review of Professional Management, 18(1).
- Kumar, A., & Kim, Y. (2014), The store-as-a-brand strategy: The effect of store environment on customer responses. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 21(5). 685-695.
- Lunardo, R., & Mbengue, A. (2013), When atmospherics lead to inferences of manipulative intent: Its effects on trust and attitude. Journal of Business Research, 66(7). 823-830
- Marike. V., & Richard. C., (2018), The influence of store environment on brand attitude, brand experience and purchase intention. South African Journal of Business Management, 49(1).1-24. DOI: 10.4102/sajbm.v49i1.186
- Mehta, N. P. & Chugan P. K. (2012), Visual merchandising: Impact on consumer behavior. Global Business and Technology Association, .607-614, New York USA.
- Mehrabian, A. (1976), Public Spaces and Private Spaces: The Psychology of Work, Play and Living Environments. New York: Basic Books, Inc.
- Michon, R., Chebat, J. C., & Turley, L. W. (2005), Mall atmospherics: the interaction effects of the mall environment on shopping behavior. Journal of Business Research, 58(5), 576-583.
- Mohammad. R. (2017), Assessing the Quality of Education in Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Economic Research, 14 (17). 521-528
- Oh, J., Fiorito, S.S., Cho, H., & Hofacker, C.F. (2008), Effects of design factors on store image and expectation of merchandise quality in web-based stores. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 15, 237-249.
- Panna B. and Gupta S. (2015), Role of Store Atmospherics in Patronage Intention of Indian Fashion Apparel Buyers The International Journal of Business & Management, 165-170.
- Pun. W. M., & Maya. (2014), Store environment effects on impulse buying behavior of international streetwear flagship store. Retrieved from http://www.itc.polyu.edu. hk/UserFiles/access/Files/BA/FYP1314/14090/11333327D.pdf
- Reilly WJ (1931), The law of retail gravitation. New York: Knickerbocker Press
- Steenkamp (1997), Dynamics in Consumer Behavior with respect to Agricultural and Food Products. Chapter: 8 in book: Agricultural Marketing and Consumer Behavior in a Changing World edited by Wierenga B., Tilburg A. V. , Grunert K., Jan-Benedict E.M. Steenkamp, Wedel, Publisher: Kluwer
- Silva, T. S., & Giraldi, J. D. M. E. (2010), The influence of store image on customer satisfaction: a case study of a shoe store. Brazilian Business Review, 7(2), 60-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.15728/bbr.2010.7.2.4
- Saeed, M.A., Farooq, A., Kersten, W. et al. Sustainable product purchase: does information about product sustainability on social media affect purchase behavior? AJSSR 4, 9 (2019), https://doi.org/10.1186/ s41180-019-0029-3
- Shrivastava, Ashish Kumar et.al, (2009), Organised Retail in FMCG segment: Rural Market Prospects, SCMS Journal of Indian Management, 6(3), 53-64.
- Syed Md Faisal Ali Khan (2012), An Empirical Study of Organised Retailing Strategies in developing customer loyalty, changing purchase decision and developing satisfaction in Consumer of Indian Sub-Continent, International Journal of Multidisciplinary and Current Research, 2, 247-253.ISSN: 2321-3124. http://repository.kln.ac.lk/handle/123456789/11712
- Syed. M.F.A.K & Devash. K. (2016), Influence of Visual Merchandising over Retail Store Sales - A Research Report in Indian Context. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management. 5(5).12-17.
- Syed. M.F.A.K. (2015), Impact of Income on Purchase Decision from Organized and Unorganized Retail in India. International Journal of Management (IJM), 5 (11), Volume 5, Issue 11. 76-85
- Syed. M.F.A.K. (2016), Influence of Visual Merchandising over Retail Store Sales - A Research Report in Indian Context. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management. Vol.5(5).12-17.
- Syed. M.F.A.K. (2017), Store Patronage and buying behavior of Consumer - A Case Study of Organized Retail Stores of Jazan. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research. 15(16)
- Syed. M.F.A.K., & Saif. A. (2018), Factors Effecting Performance of Women Entrepreneurship: An Empirical Study in Saudi Arabia. Review of Professional Management- A Journal of New Delhi Institute of Management. Vol.16(1).
- Theodoridis, P.K., & Chatzipanagiotou, K.C. (2009), Store image attributes and customer satisfaction across different customer profiles within the supermarket sector in Greece. European Journal of Marketing, 43(5/6), 708– 734; http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090560910947016
- Wertz, J. (2019), Why the rise of Social Commerce is Inevitable, Forbes Women Entrepreneur and documentary filmmaker. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ jiawertz/2019/06/25/inevitable-riseofsocial commerce/#4a91e0ac3031
- Wanninayake W.M.C.B. and Randiwela P. (2007), The impact of visual merchandizing on consumer store choice decisions in Sri Lankan Supermarkets. In proceedings of 7th Global Conference on Business and Economics. Rome, Italy., 1-18. ISBN: 978 0-9742114-9-7
- Yavas and Tuncalp. (1983), Grocery Shopping Patterns in Saudi Arabia: Prospects for the Diffusion of Supermarkets. Der Markt, 87(3):131-7.
- Zentes, J., morschett, d., & schramm, h. (2017), Store Location– Trading Area Analysis and Site Selection,in book edited by Zentes, J., morschett, d., & schramm, h, Strategic Management: Text and International cases, (3rd edition ), Sprigner
- Zeynep, E., & Nilgun, G. (2011), Congruence between atmospheric cues and store image in fashion retailing. Turkey, Izmir University of Economics.
Abstract Views: 47
PDF Views: 15