Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
An Electric Braking Scheme for a BLDC Motor Driven Electric Vehicle
This paper proposes an electric braking scheme for a brushless DC motor driven electric vehicle. This electric braking scheme is developed by combining various regenerative braking methods and plugging. At first, the speed profile and battery current profiles of each braking methods are studied during braking. It is observed that the speed reduction by plugging is very fast and by single and two switch method is slow, while regeneration occurs only in single and two switch methods. Based on these results, a new braking scheme is developed by combining these braking methods and it is switched among them based on the brake force applied by the driver. Simulation results are presented to validate the proposed technique.
BLDC Motor, Electric Vehicle, Electric Braking, Regenerative Braking.
- Ehsani M, Gao Y, Emadi A. Modern electric, hybrid electric, and fuel cell vehicles, fundamentals, theory and design, Second Edition, CRC Press; 2010. p. 1–18.
- Kumar MS, Revankar ST. Development scheme and key technology of an electric vehicle: An overview. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2017; 70:1266–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.12.027
- Bahrami M, Mokhtari H,Dindar A. Energy regeneration technique for electric vehicles driven by a brushless DC motor. IET Power Electronics. 2019; 12(13):3397–402. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2019.0024
- Jeong CL, Hur J. A novel proposal to improve reliability of spoke-type BLDC motor using ferrite permanent magnet. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications.2016; 52(5):3814–21. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2016.2571266
- Chau KT, Chan CC, Liu C. Overview of permanent-magnet brushless drives for electric and hybrid electric vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2008; 55(6):2246– 57. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918403
- Hannan MA, Hoque MM, Hussain A, Yusof Y, Ker PJ. State-of-the-art and energy management system of lithium- ion batteries in electric vehicle applications: Issues and recommendations. IEEE Access. 2018; 6:19362–78. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2817655
- Li L, Li X, Wang X, Song J, He K, Li C. Analysis of downshifts improvement to energy efficiency of an electric vehicle during regenerative braking. Applied Energy. 2016; 176:125–37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.05.042
- Zhe L, Ling Z, Yue R, Wei Y, Yinong L, Feng G, et al. A control strategy of regenerative braking system for intelligent vehicle. International Conference on Intelligent and Connected Vehicles (ICV 2016). 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/cp.2016.1174. PMid:29973752
- Kim T. Regenerative braking control of a light fuel cell hybrid electric vehicle. Electric Power Components and Systems. 2011; 39(5):446–60. https://doi.org/10.1080/1532 5008.2010.528535
- Hegazy O, Mierlo JV, Lataire P. Analysis, modeling, and implementation of a multidevice interleaved DC/DC converter for fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2012; 27(11):4445–58. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2183148
- Armenta J, Núñez C, Visairo N, Lázaro I. An advanced energy management system for controlling the ultra capacitor discharge and improving the electric vehicle range. Journal of Power Sources. 2015; 284:452–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.03.056
- Asif RM, Yousaf A, Rehman AU, Shabbir N, Sadiq MT. Increase battery time by improvement in regenerative braking with storage system in hybrid vehicle. Journal of Applied and Emerging Sciences. 2019; 9(1):53.
- Yang YP, Liu JJ, Wang TJ, Kuo KC, Hsu PE. An electric gearshift with ultra capacitors for the power train of an electric vehicle with a directly driven wheel motor. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2007; 56(5):2421– 31. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.899956
- Yang YP, Liu JJ, Hu TH. An energy management system for a directly driven electric scooter. Energy Conversion and Management. 2011; 52(1):621–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.07.038
- Zhang X, Wang Y, Liu G, Yuan X. Robust regenerative charging control based on T-S fuzzy sliding-mode approach for advanced electric vehicle. IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification. 2016; 2(1):52–65. https://doi.org/10.1109/TTE.2016.2535411
- Chi WC, Cheng MY, Chen CH. Position-sensorless method for electric braking commutation of brushless DC machines. IET Electric Power Applications. 2013; 7(9):701–13. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2013.0095
- Naseri F, Farjah E, Ghanbari T. An efficient regenerative braking system based on battery/supercapacitor for electric, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with BLDC motor. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2017; 66(5):3724–38.
- Wang Y, Zhang X, Yuan X, Liu G. Position-sensorless hybrid sliding-mode control of electric vehicles with brushless DC motor. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2011; 60(2):421–32. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2100415
- Mohammad A, Abedin MA, Khan MZR. Microcontroller based control system for electric vehicle. In 5th International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), IEEE; 2016. p. 693–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/ ICIEV.2016.7760090
- Rakesh M, Narasimham PVRL. Different braking techniques employed to a brushless DC motor drive used in locomotives. International Electrical Engineering Journal. 2012; 3(2):784–90.
Abstract Views: 143
PDF Views: 0