Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Anterior Cystic Hygroma and its Effects on the Dentofacial Structures
Cystic hygroma is a benign growth that is often congenital and probably results from tissue malformation during the early development of the lymphatic system. The cervical cystic hygroma involving the entire craniofacial skeleton is attributed to both local and distant effects on the dentofacial structure. Here we are reporting a case report on cystic hygroma having a secondary effect on the dentoalveolar structure, providing information on potential complications of cystic hygroma and the treatment needed. A 6-year-old female patient with cystic hygroma of the anterior triangle of the neck at birth with post-surgical recurrence and had marked dentofacial malformation.
Cervical Cystic Hygroma, Dentofacial Malformation, Pediatric Patient.
- Ali E, Karim N, Hicham A, Mohamed Z. Cystic lymphangioma on the floor of the oral cavity extending to the submandibular region in adult patients. The Pan African Medical Journal. 2016 Jul 8; 24:202.
- Grasso DL, Pelizzo G, Zocconi E, Schleef J. Lymphangiomas of the head and neck in children. Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica. 2008 Feb; 28(1):17.
- Guruprasad Y, Chauhan DS. Cervical cystic hygroma. Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery. 2012 Sep 1; 011(3):333-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-010-0149-x PMid:23997487 PMCid:PMC3428451
- Kumar M, Saini A, Parshad R. Cervical cystic hygroma-A case report.
- Stănescu L, Georgescu EF, Simionescu CR, Georgescu I. Lymphangioma of the oral cavity. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2006 Jan 1; 47(4):373-7.
- Farman AG, Katz J, Eloff J, Cywes S. Mandibulofacial aspects of the cervical cysticlymphangioma (cystic hygroma). British Journal of Oral Surgery. 1978 Nov 1; 16(2):125-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007- 117X(78)90022-7 PMid:281243
- Colbert SD, Seager L, Haider F, Evans BT, Anand R, Brennan PA. Lymphatic malformations of the head and neck-current concepts in management. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2013 Mar 1; 51(2):98-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2011.12.016 PMid:22360972
- Hutchinson I. Mandibular enlargement: an unusual complication of a cervical cystic hygroma. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. 1996 Jun; 6(2):123-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-263X.1996.tb00224.x PMid:8957852
- Bonet-Coloma C, Minguez-Martínez I, Aloy-Prósper A, Rubio-Serrano M, Peñarrocha-Diago MA, PeñarrochaDiago M. Clinical characteristics, treatment, and evolution in 14 cases of pediatric orofacial lymphangioma. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2011 Jun 1; 69(6):e96-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2010.07.029 PMid:21256639
- Robinson DW. Lymphangioma of the lower face and neck involving mandible. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1959 Feb 1; 23(2):187-94. https://doi. org/10.1097/00006534-195902000-00008 PMid:13633491
- Osborne TE, Levin LS, Tilghman DM, Haller JA. Surgical correction of mandibulofacial deformities secondary to large cervical cystic hygromas. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 1987 Dec 1; 45(12):1015-21. https:// doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(87)90156-X PMid:3320312
- Padwa BL, Hayward PG, Ferraro NF, Mulliken JB. Cervicofacial lymphatic malformation: clinical course, surgical intervention, and pathogenesis of skeletal hypertrophy. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1995 May 1; 95(6):951-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-199505000-00001
- Emery PJ, Bailey CM, Evans JN. Cystic hygroma of the head and neck: A review of 37 cases. The Journal of Laryngology and Otology. 1984 Jun; 98(6):613-9. https:// doi.org/10.1017/S0022215100147176 PMid:6736759
- Souki BQ, Figueiredo DS, de Abreu Lima IL, Oliveira DD, Miguel JA. Two-phase orthodontic treatment of a complex malocclusion: Giving up efficiency in favor of effectiveness, quality of life, and functional rehabilitation. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2013 Apr 1; 143(4):547-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. ajodo.2012.02.027 PMid:23561417
Abstract Views: 77
PDF Views: 0