Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Hybrid Lesion of the Mandible with Three Coexistent Pathologies: Report of a Rare Case with Literature Review
Hybrid lesions are rare and microscopically composed of areas of distinct pathologic entities. The occurrence of dual lesions containing Central Giant Cell Lesion (CGCL) and fibro-osseous lesions has been recorded in the literature. Although many similar cases have been reported the pathophysiology of such lesions is yet not well understood. Furthermore, their clinical behaviour and treatment guidelines are also not clearly outlined. Presented here is a unique case of a 17-yearold male with a hybrid lesion with a triad of pathological entities, Ossifying fibroma, CGCL and aneurysmal bone cyst. The clinical presentation, pathogenesis and behaviour of the reported lesion are comprehensively explained. The authors believe that greater knowledge of the hybrid variety of jaw lesions may aid in better understanding and management of these lesions by clinicians.
Aneurysmal, Bone Cysts, Fibroma, Giant Cell Granuloma, Mandible, Ossifying Fibroma.
- Alsufyani NA, Aldosary RM, Alrasheed RS, Alsaif RF. A systematic review of the clinical and radiographic features of hybrid central giant cell granuloma lesions of the jaws. Acta Odontol Scand. 2021; 79(2):124-31. PMid: 32730731. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016357.2020.1797160
- Waldron CA, El-Mofty SK. A histopathologic study of 116 ameloblastomas with special reference to the desmoplastic variant. Oral Surgery, Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1987; 63(4):441-51. PMid: 3472145. https://doi. org/10.1016/0030-4220(87)90257-X
- Allen CM, Hammond HL, Stimson PG. Central odontogenic fibroma, WHO* type. A report of three cases with an unusual associated giant cell reaction. Oral Surgery, Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1992; 73(1): 62-6. PMid: 1603567. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(92)90156-K
- Robinson PD. Aneurysmal bone cyst: A hybrid lesion? Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1985; 23(3):220-6. PMid:3159421. https://doi.org/10.1016/02664356(85)90094-4
- Penfold CN, McCullagh P, Eveson JW, Ramsay A. Giant cell lesions complicating fibro-osseous conditions of the jaws. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1993; 22(3):158-62. PMid: 8340626. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0901-5027(05)80242-5
- Kaplan I, Manor I, Yahalom R, Hirshberg A. Central giant cell granuloma associated with central ossifying fibroma of the jaws: A clinicopathologic study. Oral Surgery, Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endodontology. 2007; 103(4):e35-e41. PMid: 17395058. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. tripleo.2006.03.017
- Farzaneh AH, Pardis PM. Central giant cell granuloma and fibrous dysplasia occurring in the same jaw. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2005; 10 Suppl 2.
- Wong GL. Paracrine interactions in bone-secreted products of osteoblasts permit osteoclasts to respond to parathyroid hormone. J Biol Chem. 1984; 259(7):4019-22. PMid: 6323452. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9258(17)43001-8
- Scaglietti O, Marchetti PG, Bartolozzi P. The effects of methylprednisolone acetate in the treatment of bone cysts. Results of three years follow-up. J Bone Jt Surg - Ser B. 1979; 61(2):200-5. PMid: 438272. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.61B2.438272
- Kremer M, Judd J, Rifkin B, Auszmann J, Oursler MJ. Estrogen modulation of osteoclast lysosomal enzyme secretion. J Cell Biochem. 1995; 57(2):271-9. PMid: 7759564. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.240570211
- Kameda T, Mano H, Yuasa T, Mori Y, Miyazawa K, Shiokawa M, et al. Estrogen inhibits bone resorption by directly inducing apoptosis of the bone-resorbing osteoclasts. J Exp Med. 1997; 186(4):489-95. PMid: 9254647 PMCid: PMC2199029. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.186.4.489
- Edgerton MT. The treatment of hemangiomas: With special reference to the role of steroid therapy. Ann Surg. 1976; 183(5):517-32. PMid: 776106 PMCid: PMC1344338. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-197605000-00009
- Liu B, Yu SF, Li TJ. Multinucleated giant cells in various forms of giant cell containing lesions of the jaws express features of osteoclasts. J Oral Pathol Med. 2003; 32(6):367-75. PMid: 12787044. https://doi.org/10.1034/ j.1600-0714.2003.00126.x
- Mohanty S, Jhamb A. Central giant cell lesion of mandible managed by intralesional triamcinolone injections. A report of two cases and literature review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2009; 14(2):E98-102.
Abstract Views: 72
PDF Views: 0