Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Combined Impact of Transformational Leadership And Workplace Spirituality On Learning Organisations
A learning organisation supports an environment which facilitates employees’ quest for knowledge. This is possible with a transformational leadership style. An organisation supported by a transformational leader has workforce willing to join the collective learning process, as it is necessary for individual growth and the growth of the firm. Workplace spirituality is required for employees of organisations, irrespective of work, to ensure commitment and belongingness, and make work engaging with a shared vision. The right kind of leadership is necessary for achieving workplace spirituality. This study focuses on evaluating the relationship between transformational leadership and workplace spirituality in learning organisations, focusing on the banking industry. Extant literature reveals a dearth of studies relating to the combined effect of transformational leadership and workplace spirituality on learning organisations. In this context, the present study collected data from the employees working in the banking industry in India to assess the joint effect of transformational leadership and workplace spirituality on learning organisations. Results revealed that transformational leadership and workplace spirituality individually and jointly influence the learning organisation. Results also revealed the difference in transformational leadership, workplace spirituality, and learning organisation with respect to demographic factors. The findings of the study provide important implications for the industry.
Transformational Leadership, Workplace Spirituality, Learning Organisation
- Ahmad, A., & Omar, Z. (2014). Reducing deviant behaviour through workplace spirituality and job satisfaction. Asian Social Science, 10(19), 107.
- Al-Qawabah, M. S. H. (2012). Assessing transformational leadership components as drivers in learning organisations (Doctoral dissertation).
- Anderson, M. (2017). Transformational leadership in education: A review of existing literature. International Social Science Review, 93(1), 1-13.
- Ashmos, D. P., & Duchon, D. (2000). Spirituality at work: A conceptualization and measure. Journal of Management Inquiry, 9(2), 134-145.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations (1st ed.). New York: Free Press.
- Branson, C. M. (2008). Achieving organisational change through values alignment. Journal of Educational Administration, 46(3), 376-395.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
- Chawla, V. (2014). The effect of workplace spirituality on salespeople’s organisational deviant behaviours: Research propositions and practical implications. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 29(3), 199-208.
- Deshpande, A. (2012). Workplace spirituality, organizational learning capabilities and mass customization: An integrated framework. International Journal of Business and Management, 7(5), 3.
- Dionne, S. D., Yammarino, F. J., Atwater, L. E., & Spangler, W. D. (2004). Transformational leadership and team performance. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 17(2), 177-193.
- Du Plessis, M., & Nel, P. (2015). The influence of emotional intelligence and trust on servant leadership. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 41(1), 1-9.
- Duchon, D., & Plowman, D. A. (2005). Nurturing the spirit at work: Impact on work unit performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 16(5), 807-833.
- Eskandari, A., & Ghanbari, S. (2014). Organisational climate, job motivation and organisational citizenship behavior. International Journal of Management, 1, 1-14.
- Estahbanati, E. A., & Mahmoudi, G. (2016). Relationship between transformational leadership and empowerment of staff, organizational support and their perceived performance in a hospital. Bioscience Biotechnology Research Communications, 9(4), 891-896.
- Fry, L. W., Vitucci, S., & Cedillo, M. (2005). Spiritual leadership and army transformation: Theory, measurement, and establishing a baseline. The Leadership Quarterly, 16(5), 835-862.
- Garvin, D. A., Edmondson, A. C., & Gino, F. (2008). Is yours a learning organization? Harvard Business Review, 86(3), 109.
- Gordon, J. (2007). The Pfeiffer book of successful leadership development tools. John Wiley & Sons.
- Hailey, J., & James, R. (2002). Learning leaders: The key to learning organisations. Development in Practice, 12(3-4), 398-408.
- Harkema, S. (2003). A complex adaptive perspective on learning within innovation projects. The Learning Organization, 10(6), 340-346.
- Hautala, T. (2007). Impact of followers’ types on their expectations of leaders: An individual consideration of transformational leadership. Journal of Psychological Type, 67(4), 30-38.
- Hill, P. C., Jurkiewicz, C. L., Giacalone, R. A., & Fry, L.W. (2013). From concept to science: Continuing steps in workplace spirituality research. In R. F. Paloutzian & C. L. Park (Eds.), Handbook of the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality (pp. 617-631). The Guilford Press.
- Houghton, J. D., Neck, C. P., & Krishnakumar, S. (2016).The what, why, and how of spirituality in the workplace revisited: A 14-year update and extension. Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion, 13(3), 177-205.
- Hunter-Johnson, Y. (2015). Do age and education matter?Organizational demography as an influential factor on perceptions of a learning organization in law enforcement. International Journal of Bahamian Studies, 21(1), 57-73.
- Jnaneswar, K., & Ranjit, G. (2020). Effect of transformational leadership on job performance: Testing the mediating role of corporate social responsibility. Journal of Advances in Management Research, 17(5), 605-625. doi:https://doi.org/10.1108/jamr-05-2020-0068
- Javanmard, H. (2012). The impact of spirituality on work performance. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 5, 1961-1966.
- Johnson, A. L. (2007). Mary Parker Follett: Laying the foundations for spirituality in the workplace. International Journal of Public Administration, 30(4), 425-439.
- Karakas, F. (2010). Spirituality and performance in organizations: A literature review. Journal of Business Ethics, 94(1), 89-106.
- Keung, E. K. (2011). What factors of cultural intelligence predict transformational leadership: A study of international school leaders (Doctoral dissertations and projects, 450).
- Kinjerski, V., & Skrypnek, B. J. (2006, August). Measuring the intangible: Development of the spirit at work scale.In Academy of Management Proceedings (vol. 2006, no.1, pp. A1-A6). Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510: Academy of Management.
- Lakshmi, P. M., & Das, V. T. (2021). Workplace spirituality and knowledge management in higher educational institutions: An empirical study. United International Journal for Research & Technology (UIJRT), 2(12), 18-32.
- Lin, H. F. (2008). Empirically testing innovation characteristics and organizational learning capabilities in e-business implementation success. Internet Research, 18(1), 60-78.
- Malik, M. S., Sattar, S., Younas, S., & Nawaz, M. K.(2019). The workplace deviance perspective of employee responses to workplace bullying: The moderating effect of toxic leadership and mediating effect of emotional exhaustion. Review of Integrative Business and Economics Research, 8(1), 33-50.
- Marquardt, M. J. (2011). Optimizing the power of action learning. Boston, MA: Nicholas Brealey Publishing. Millett, B. (1998). Understanding organisations: The dominance of systems theory. International Journal of Organisational Behaviour, 1(1), 1-12.
- Nazari, K., & Pihie, Z. A. L. (2012). Assessing learning organization dimensions and demographic factors in technical and vocational colleges in Iran. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(3), 210-219.
- Pareek, U. (2007). Motivational Analysis of Organizations– Behaviour (MAO-B).
- Pradhan, R. K., & Jena, L. K. (2017). Employee performance at workplace: Conceptual model and empirical validation. Business Perspectives and Research, 5(1), 69-85.
- Rahman, M. S., Daud, N. M., Hassan, H., & Osmangani, A. M. (2016). Effects of workplace spirituality and trust mediated by perceived risk towards knowledge sharing behaviour. VINE Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems, 46(4,5), 450-468.
- Rebelo, T. M., & Gomes, A. D. (2011).Conditioning factors of an organizational learning culture. Journal of Workplace Learning, 23(3), 173-194.
- Reza, M. H. (2019). Components of transformational leadership behavior. EPRA International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 5(3), 119-124.
- Roof, R. A. (2015). The association of individual spirituality on employee engagement: The spirit at work. Journal of Business Ethics, 130(3), 585-599.
- Rutte, M. (1996), Spirituality in the workplace. In Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society, 7, 275-281.
- Senge, P. (1990). The fifth discipline: The art and practice of the learning organization. New York: Double Day.
- Senge, P. (1996). Leading learning organizations. Training & Development, 50. Cambridge: Jossy Bass, Inc.
- Shamir, B., House, R. J., & Arthur, M. B. (1993). The motivational effects of charismatic leadership: A self concept based theory. Organization Science, 4(4),577-594.
- Shankar Pawar, B. (2008). Two approaches to workplace spirituality facilitation: A comparison and implications. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 29(6),544-567.
- Sharma, S. K., Rastogi, R., & Garg, P. (2013). Workplace spirituality and managerial effectiveness among Indian managers. International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management, 6(3), 382-390.
- Soliman, M., d Virgilio, F., Figueiredo, R., & Sousa, M. J. (2021). The impact of workplace spirituality on lecturers’ attitudes in tourism and hospitality higher education institutions. Tourism Management Perspectives, 38,100826.
- Uddin, M. A., Fan, L., & Das, A. K. (2016). A study of the impact of transformational leadership, organizational learning, and knowledge management on organizational innovation. Management Dynamics, 16(2), 42-54.
- Waruwu, H., Asbari, M., Purwanto, A., Nugroho, Y. A., Fikri, M. A. A., Fauji, A.,…Dewi, W. R. (2020). The role of transformational leadership, organizational learning and structure on innovation capacity: Evidence from Indonesia private schools. EduPsyCouns: Journal of Education, Psychology and Counseling, 2(1), 378-397.
- Xie, L. (2020). The impact of servant leadership and transformational leadership on learning organization: A comparative analysis. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 41(2), 220-236.
Abstract Views: 18
PDF Views: 0