Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
An Empirical Study in Sustainability Reporting Practices of Indian Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
The present study is undertaken to examine to what extent sustainability guidelines, national and international, are followed by the Indian SMEs. The main objective of this study is to examine the sustainability disclosure practices of Indian SMEs. For this purpose, 25 SMEs are considered which are listed in BSE SME and their annual reports for the year 2018-19 are examined. The present study indicates that sustainability issues are of the highest priority but still in their nascent stage particularly among the Indian SMEs. Based on content analysis, the study result shows that the overall disclosure level of sustainability issues is moderate. This pilot study provides an idea about the sustainability reporting practices of Indian Small and Medium-sized Enterprises. Despite some limitations, this is the first study that examines the extent of sustainability reporting practices voluntarily following national and international guidelines.
Sustainability, Reporting, Content Analysis, SMEs, Sustainability Standard, Responsibility Reporting.
- Amran, A., & Ooi, S. K. (2014). Sustainability reporting: Meeting stakeholders demand. Strategic Direction, 30(7), 38-41.
- Adams, C. A., & Frost, G. R. (2008). Integrating sustainability reporting into management practices. Accounting Forum, 32(4), 288-302.
- Bachoo, K., Rebecca, T., & Wilson, M. (2013). Firm value and quality of sustainability reporting in Australia. Australian Accounting Review, 23(1), 67-87.
- Elkington, J. (1994). Towards the sustainable corporation: Win-Win-Win business strategies for sustainable development. California Management Review, 36(2), 90-100.
- Fifka, M. (2012). The development and state of research on social and environmental reporting in global comparison. Journal für Betriebswirtschaft, 62(1), 45-84.
- Herzig, C., & Schaltegger, S. (2011). Corporate sustainability reporting. In J. Godemann & G. Michelsen (Eds.), Sustainability Communication (pp. 151-169). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Ibrahim, M. S., Darusb, F., Yusoffc, H., & Muhamadd, R. (2015). Analysis of earnings management practices and sustainability reporting for corporation that offers Islamic product & services. Procedia Economics and Finance, 28, 176-182.
- Khan, H. Z., Islam, M. A., Fatima, J. K., & Ahmed, K. (2011). Corporate sustainability reporting of major commercial banks in line with GRI: Bangladesh evidence. Social Responsibility Journal, 7(3), 347-362.
- Kolk, A. (2008). Sustainability, accountability and corporate governance: Exploring multinational reporting practices. Business Strategy and the Environment, 17(1), 1-15.
- Lang, M., & Lundholm, R. (1993). Cross-sectional determinants of analysts’ ratings of corporate disclosures. Journal of Accounting Research, 37(2), 353-383.
- Loannou, L., & Serafeim, G. (2017). The consequence of mandatory corporate sustainability reporting. Harvard Business School Research Working Paper No 11-100.
- Mahmes, K. (2016). Corporate environment disclosure and economic performance of companies in Libyan manufacturing sector. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, 8(2).
- Mahmood, M., & Orazalin, N. (2017). Green governance and sustainability reporting in Kazakhstan’s oil, gas and mining sector: Evidence from a former USSR emerging economy. Journal of Cleaner Production, 164, 389-397.
- Marimon, F., del Mar Alonso-Almeida, M., del Pilar Rodríguez, M., & Alejandro, K. A. C. (2012). The worldwide diffusion of the global reporting initiative: What is the point? Journal of Cleaner Production, 33, 132–144.
- Najul, L. N., Chakraborty, T. K., & Maji, S. G. (2017). Corporate sustainability performance and financial performance: Empirical evidence from Japan and India. Management and Labour Studies, 42(2), 1-19.
- Niemark, M. (1995). The hidden dimensions of annual reports: Sixty years of social conflict at general reports. Princeton, NJ: Markus Wiener.
- Pérez-López, D., Moreno-Romero, A., & Barkemeyer, R. (2015). Exploring the relationship between sustainability reporting and sustainability management practices. Business Strategy and the Environment, 24(8), 720-734.
- Roca, L. C., & Searcy, C. (2012). An analysis of indicators disclosed in corporate sustainability reports. Journal of Cleaner Production, 20(1), 103-118.
- Swarnapali, N. (2018). Corporate sustainability reporting and firm value: Evidence from a developing country. International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 10(4), 69-78.
- Tutterow, V. (2014). Embedding sustainability into small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises. Arlington, VA: Virginia Tech, Center for Leadership in Global Sustainability (CLiGS).
- Xu, J., & Li, J. (2019). The impact of intellectual capital (IC) on SMEs performance in China: Empirical evidence from non-high tech vs high-tech SMEs. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 20(4), 488-509.
Abstract Views: 129
PDF Views: 1