Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Correlational Study of Aggression and Hardiness among Adolescents
In the present scenario of society the adolescents are facing many kinds of problems. Aggression is physical or verbal behavior that is intended to hurt someone. Aggression is commonly defined as behavior intended to harm another person and this harm can be either physical or psychological. Hardiness is a kind of ability to tolerate the things in unfavorable circumstances. The adolescents who have hardiness trait can manage their aggression. By keeping all these views in mind the present research was conducted on school going adolescents. This study was conducted on 100 male and 100 female adolescents. The results were analyzed by using different statistical tools. The results depicted that boys and girls (adoloscents) have same level of aggression and hardiness. Their views are not different on these variables. Hardiness and aggression are not related with each other.
aggression, hardiness, adolescents, school and behavior.
- Abdollahi, A., Abu, M., Talib, S.N., Yaacob, Z., & Ismail (2014). Hardiness as a mediator between perceived stress and happiness in nursing. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 21, 789-796. doillo.1111/ jim. Allred, K.D., & Smith, T.W. (1989). The hardy personality : Cognitive and physiological response. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 56(2), 257- 266.
- Agrawal, R. (2006). Applied social psychology: A global perspective (pp. 268- 303). (V.K.Kool). Atlantic, 2. (Ltd.).
- Bierman, K., & Wargo, J. (1995). Predicting the longitudinal course associated with aggressive rejected, aggressive (non rejected), and rejected (non aggressive) status. Development Psychology, 7, 669-682.
- Brian, L., Bensley, L., & Van Eenwyk, J. (2001). Video games and real life aggression: Review of literature. Journal of Adolescent Health, 29, 244-257.uke Seaward (1999). Managing stress(pp. 117-121). Johes and Bartlett.
- Brannon, L., & Fiest, J. (2010). Health psychology (pp. 120- 122). Wadsworth.
- Contrada, R. (1989). Type a behavior, personality hardiness, and cardiovascular responses to stress. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 895-903.
- Catherinea, J.W., & Sanderson, A. (2010). Social psychology (pp. 376- 406). Amherst College.
- Espelage, D., Holt, M., & Henkel, R. (2003). Examination of peer group contextual effects on aggression during early adolescence.Child Development, 74(1), 205- 220.
- Funk, S.C., & Houston, B. K. (1987). Acritical analysis of the hardiness scale 's validity and utility. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 53, 572- 578.
- Farrington, D. (1991). Childhood aggression and adult violence: Early precursors and later-life outcomes. In D. Pepler and K. Rubin (Eds.), The development and treatment of childhood aggression (pp. 5–29). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Gough, B., & Mcfadden, M. (2001). Critical social psychology An introduction (pp. 168- 169). Palgrave, New York , N.Y.10010.
- Huang, B., White, H., Kosterman, R., Catalano, R., & Hawkins, J. (2001). Developmental associations between alcohol and interpersonal aggression during adolescence. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 38, 64- 83.
- Joierman, J., Anderson, J., & Strthman, A. (2003). The aggression paradox: Understanding links among aggression sensation seeking, and the consideration of future consequences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 1287-1302.
- Kapteion, A.D., & Weinman, J. (2004) . Health Psychology (pp. 120-125). Blackwell. Australia.
- Kassin, S., Fein, S., & Marks, H.R. (2008). Social psychology (pp. 435-4). Wadsworth Belmont, USA.
- Korchmaros, D.J., Lopez, E., Michell, D.K., Prescott, T., & Ybarea, D.M. (2012). Growing up with media a violent material.Centre For Public Health Research .
- Kennthh, D., Dian, L., Park, K., & Anita, W. (1992) . Personality based hardiness as a buffer for discrimination-related stress in members of Tornoto's Chinese community. Canadian Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 24(4), 517-536.
- Kobasa (1979). The relationship of hardiness, gender, and stress to health outcomes in adolescents. Journal of Personality, 59, 4.
- Kosaka, M. (1996). Relationship between hardiness and psychological stress response. Journal of Performance Studies, 3, 35-40.
- Khatoon, N. (2012). Health psychology (pp. 230-232). South Asia: Dorling Kinderseley.
- Lopez, E.E., Perez, S.M., Ochoa, G.M., & Ruiz, D.M. (2008). Adolescent aggression: Effects of gender and family and school environments. Journal of Adolescent, 31, 433-450.
- Lochman, J., & Dodge, K. (1994). Social cognitive process of severely violent, moderately aggressive, and non aggressive boys. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 62, 366- 374.
- Maddi, S.R. (2013). Hardiness the exiestional courage to grow through searching for meaning. The Experience of Meaning in Life, 51(8), 227- 239.
- McKinlay, A., & Mcvitte, C. (2008) . Social Psychology and Discourse (pp. 162- 169). Blackwell .
- Nichols, T., Graber, J., Brooks-Funn, J., & Botvin, G. (2006). Sex differences in overt aggression and delinquency among minority middle school students. Applied development Psychology, 27(1), 7.
- Olweus, D. (1992). Bullying among school children: Intervention and prevention. In R.D. Peters, R.J. McMahon, and V.L. Quincy (Eds.), Aggression and violence throughout the life span (pp. 100–125). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Olweus, D. (1994). Bullying at school: Long term outcomes for the victims and an effective a school based intervention program. In L. R. Huesmann (Ed.), Aggressive behavior: Current perspectives(pp. 97–130). Plenum Press. https://doi.org/10.1007 /978-1-4757-9116-7_5.
- Pengilly, J.W., & Dowd, E.T. (2000). Hardiness and social support as moderators of stress. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 56(6), 813-820.
- Pellegrini, A. (2000). A longitudinal study of heterosexual relationships , aggression, and sexual harassment during the transition from primary school through middle school. Journal of Applied Development Psychology, 21(2) , 119-133.
- Parker, J., Low, C., Walker, A., & Gamm, B. (2005) . Friendship Jealousy in young adolescents: Individual differences and links to sex, self-esteem, aggression, aggression and social adjustment. Developmental Psychology, 41, 235- 250.
- Pellegrini, A. (2001). The roles of dominance and bullying in the development of early heterosexual relationships. In R. A. Geffner, M. T. Loring, and C. Young (Eds.), Bullying behavior: Current issues, research, and interventions (pp. 63-73). Binghamton, NY: Haworth.
- Rossow, I., Pape, H., & Wichstrom, L. (1999). Young wet and wild? Associations between alcohol intoxication and violent behavior in adolescence. Addiction, 94, 1017-1031.
- Smith-Khuri, E., Iachan, R., Scheidt, P., Overpeck, M., Gabhaim, S., Pickett, W., & Harrell, V. (2004). A cross national study of violence-related behaviors in adolescents. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 158, 539-544.
- Schultz, D., Izard, C., & Bear, G. (2004) . Children's emotional processing: Relations to emotionality and aggression. Development and Psychopathology, 16, 371-387.
- Strub, R.O. (2007). Health psychology (pp. 123- 132).Worth, New York . N. Y. 100010.
- Schneider, D.J. (1988). Introduction to social psychology (pp. 430-460). Harcourt Brace Jovanouich.
- Sarfino, E.P., & Smith, T. W. (2012 ). Health psychology (pp. 61-64). John Willey and sons. Inc., U. K.
- Schmied, L.A., & Lawler, K. A. (1985). Hardiness, type a behavior, and the stress illness relationship in working women. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1218-1223.
- Stattin, H., & Magnusson, D. (1989). The role of early aggressive behavior in the frequency, seriousness, and types of later crime. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 57, 710- 718.
- Strobe, W., Cedal, J.P., & Stephenson, G.M. (1988). Introduction to social psychology (pp. 263-2). Blackwell.
- Taylor, S.E., Peplaue, L.A., & Seaos, D.Q. (1997). Social psychology (pp. 360-384). Prentice Hall, Inc.
- Worchel, S., Coper, J., Goethals, G.R., & Olson, J.M. (2000). Social psychology (pp. 303- 333). Wadsworth / Thomas learning, USA.
Abstract Views: 61
PDF Views: 0