Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Examining the Influence of Demographics on Spirituality at Work
The purpose of this paper is to identify the level of Spirituality at Work among the participants and to examine whether demographics have any influence on workplace spirituality. The study is of a descriptive kind. Demographic factors were explored as independent variables, whereas workplace spirituality was examined as a dependent variable. 300 people were contacted and approached for the aim of sampling as part of the research from various organisations of Chandigarh and Mohali. The sample was gathered using the judgment sampling technique through the use of a questionnaire. To analyze the data, various statistical tools and techniques were used. The aggregate findings showed that the respondents' ages had a big influence on the spirituality at work. The findings showed that qualification had a substantial impact on mystical experience. The other factors had comparatively less of an impact on workplace spirituality. The study clearly demonstrates and implies that spirituality definitely contributes to both the well-being of employees and improved employee output. Organizations should not just promote spirituality but should also make genuine efforts in creating structured, high-quality programmes on spirituality-related topics.
spirituality at work, workplace spirituality, mystical experience, engaging work, spiritual connection.
- Ahmad, A. (2017). Knowledge sharing in a non-native language context: Challenges and strategies. Journal of Information Science, 24(2), 248-264.
- Alifahmi, H. (2008). Spiritual marketing communications. Indonesia: Agra Publishing
- Ashforth, B. E., & Pratt, M. G. (2003). Institutionalized spirituality. In R. A. Giacalone and C. L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.), Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance (pp. 93-107). New York: Sharpe. Beacon Press.
- Ashmos, D. P., & Duchon, D. (2000). Spirituality at work: A conceptualization and measure. Journal of Management Inquiry, 9(2), 134-145.
- Aslam, M., Mazhar, S., Sarwar, M., & Chaudhary, A. H. (2022). Effects of teachers' demographic factors towards workplace spirituality at secondary school level. South African Journal of Education, 42(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v42n1a2025
- Beheshtifar, M., & Zare, E. (2013). Interpersonal conflict: A substantial factor to organizational failure. The International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 03, 400-407.
- Brott, P. A. (2005). A constructivist looks at life roles. The Career Development Quarterly, 54, 138-149.
- Burke, E.M. (2005). Managing a company in an activist world: The leadership challenge of corporate citizenship. Praeger, Westport, CT/London.
- Butts, D. (1999), Spirituality at work: An overview. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 12(4), 328-332.
- Chakraborty, D. (2004), The transformed leader and spiritual psychology: a few insights. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 17(2), 194-210. Challenge of Corporate Citizenship, Westport, Connecticut: Praeger Publishers
- Duchon, D., & Plowman, D.A. (2005). Nurturing the spirit at work: Impact on work unit performance. Leadership Quarterly, 16, 807-833
- Duxbury, L., & Higgins, C. (2002). Work-life balance in the new millennium: Where are we: Where do we need to go? (Executive Summary) Ottawa: Carleton University School of Business
- Danaiee-Fard, H., & Viseh, S.M. (2011). Spiritual capacity and spiritual leadership in the improvement of working conditions of organizations. 2nd international conference on business and economic research (2011), 14th to 15th March 2011 Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia.
- Emmons, R. A. (2000). Is spirituality intelligence? Motivation, cognition, and the psychology of ultimate concern. The International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 10, 3-26
- Erikson, E. (1997). The life cycle completed. New York: Norton
- Frankl, V. E., Lasch, I., & Allport, G. W. (1970). Man's search for meaning: An introduction to logotherapy, revised and enlarged edition (Revised and Enlarged). Touchstone Books.
- George, M. (2006), Practical application of spiritual intelligence in the workplace. Human Resource Management International Digest, 14(5), 3-5.
- Griffiths, A. (2010). Coaching and spiritual values in the workplace: Exploring the perspective of coaches. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 4, 65-82
- Harding, C. (2006). Using the multiple intelligences as a learning intervention: a model for coaching and mentoring. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 4(2), 19-41.
- Jain, A. (2015). Research paper on spiritual marketing in abhaneri: Case study of Harshad Mata Temple. IOSR Journal of Business and Management (IOSR-JBM), 17(9), 17-20.ISSN: 2278-487X, p-ISSN: 2319-7668.
- Kerwar, M., & Jaiswal, G. (2018). Role of spirituality in organisational performance measure by ANCOVA. International Research Journal of Management, Sociology and Humanity, 9(12), 40-64.
- Kolodinsky, R. W., Giacalone, R. A., & Jurkiewicz, C. L. (2008). Workplace values and outcomes: Exploring personal, organizational, and interactive workplace spirituality. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(2), 465- 480.
- Lavretsky, H. (2017). Sprituality and aging. Retrived from http://www.medscape.c om/viewarticle/740654
- Mitroff, I.I., & Denton, E.A. (1999). A study of spirituality in the workplace. Sloan Management Review, 40, 83-92
- Milliman, J., Czaplewski, A.J., & Ferguson, J. (2003). Workplace spirituality and employee work attitudes: An exploratory empirical assessment. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 16, 426-447.
- Rahim, W., Yunan, W., Ahmad, A., & Omar, Z. (2017). The experience of workplace spirituality: Do age and educational attainment matter? International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 2017, 2222-6990. 10.6007/IJARBSS/v7-i7/3078.
- Rhodes, K. (2006). Six components of a model for workplace spirituality. Graziadio Business Report, 9, 2
- Sheep, M. L. (2004). Nailing down gossamer: A valid measure of the personorganization fit of workplace spirituality. Best Paper Proceedings of the Sixty-Third Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management: B1-B6, New Orleans, LA
Abstract Views: 57
PDF Views: 0