Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Exploring the Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Perceived Organizational Support of Indian Professional Millennials
The focus of the present study was to explore and understand the consequences of coronavirus disease 2019, (COVID-19) on Perceived Organizational Support (POS) among Indian professional millennials. The objective was to explore gender differences and the subjective experience of POS. The participants were from the private sector with a minimum of 5 years of work experience at their current organisation falling in the age bracket of 25-38 years. The research adopted a mixed-method design and used the purposive sampling technique. The tool employed for quantitative data collection was the 8-item Survey of Perceived Organizational Support Scale (SPOS, Eisenberger et al., 1986) on the sample size of 60 participants (30 Males & 30 Females). Further, in-depth interviews were conducted on 5 males and 5 females who scored high on POS. Data was analyzed to determine significant differences, if any, between the means of two groups on POS. The interviews were subjected to reflexive thematic analysis. Results indicate that both genders experienced a moderately high amount of POS with males experiencing it marginally more. However, there were no significant gender differences obtained on the POS experienced during COVID-19 pandemic. The themes that emerged contributing to high POS in both groups were well-being, recognition of inputs, job security, financial support, and job interest. The themes clearly suggest that organizations can focus on these areas to support their employees during any stressful conditions. The implication of the present study is that this could impact the long term performances and well-being of the employees.
perceived organizational support (POS), Indian professional millennials, reflexive thematic analysis
- Ahluwalia, H. (2018, February 20). Millennial's to redefine India's consumption story. Mint. Retrieved from https://www.livemint.com/Consumer/vj5e3v3uGyQR9 KRwcvNBvN/Millennials-to-redefine-Indias-consumption-story-report.html
- Amason, P., & Allen, M. W. (1997). Intra-organizational communication, perceived organizational support, and gender. Sex Roles, 37(11), 955-977.
- Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2013). Successful qualitative research: A practical guide for beginners. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks.
- Calk, R., & Patrick, A. (2017). Millennials through the looking glass: Workplace motivating factors. The Journal of Business Inquiry, 16(2), 131-139.
- Chatzittofis, A., Constantinidou, A., Artemiadis, A., Michailidou, K., & Karanikola, M. N. (2021). The role of perceived organizational support in mental health of healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic: A cross-sectional study. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 12, 707293.
- Costa, L. R., & Loureiro, S. M. C. (2019). The importance of employees' engagement on organizational success. Journal of Promotion Management, 25(3), 328-336. DOI: 10.1080/10496491.2019.1557811
- Eisenberger, R., Huntington, R., Hutchison, S., & Sowa, D. (1986). 8-item survey of perceived organizational support. Journal of Applied Psychology, 71, 500-507. doi:10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.500
- Eisenberger, R., Malone, G. P., & Presson, W. D. (2016). Optimizing perceived organizational support to enhance employee engagement. Society for Human Resource Management and Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2, 3-22.
- Eisenberger, R., Stinglhamber, F., Vandenberghe, C., Sucharski, I.L., & Rhoades, L. (2002). Perceived supervisor support: Contributions to perceived organizational support and employee retention. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(3), 565.
- Grover, S., Mehra, A., Sahoo, S., Avasthi, A., Tripathi, A., D'Souza, A., Saha, G., Jagadhisha, A., Gowda, M., Vaishnav, M., Singh, O., Dalal, P. K., & Kumar, P. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown on the state of mental health services in the private sector in India. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 62(5), 488-493.
- Hamouche, S. (2020). COVID-19 and employees' mental health: Stressors, moderators and agenda for organizational actions. Emerald Open Research, 2, 1-15.
- Hoak, G. (2020). Covering COVID: Journalists' stress and perceived organizational support while reporting on the pandemic. Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, 98(3), 854-874. Doi:10.1177/10776990211015105
- Iyer, S. (2022). Road to 2022: Gen Z v/s millennials: The fundamental differences between marketing to the two. Social Samosa. Retrieved from https://www.social samosa.com/2022/01/road-to-2022-gen-z-v-s-millennials-sowmya-iyer-dviodigitaexpert-opinion/
- Khanna, R., & Kalaga, A. (2021). COVID-19 psychological impact among employees in india's corporate sector. Journal of Psychosocial Research, 16(2), 213-231.
- Krishnan, J., & Mary, V. S. (2012). Perceived organizational support: An overview on its antecedent and consequences. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 2(4), 1-15. ISSN 2231 5780.
- Kurtessis, J. N., Eisenberger, R., Ford, M. T., Buffardi, L. C., Stewart, K. A., & Adis, C. S. (2017). Perceived organizational support: A meta-analytic evaluation of organizational support theory. Journal of Management, 43(6), 1854-1884.
- Mathieu, J. E., & Zajac, D. (1990). A review and meta-analysis of the antecedents, correlates, and consequences of organizational commitment. Psychological Bulletin, 108, 171-194.
- McKibbin, W. J., & Fernando, R. (2020). The global macroeconomic impacts of COVID 19: seven scenarios. (CAMA Working paper 19/2020), Australian National University, Crawford School of Public Policy, Canberra, 29 February.
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J. (1997). Commitment in the workplace: Theory, research and application. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Mihalache, M., & Mihalache, O. R. (2021). How workplace support for the COVID-19 pandemic and personality traits affect changes in employees' affective commitment to the organization and job-related well-being. Human Resource Management, pp 120. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.22082
- Nabawanuka, H., & Ekmekcioglu, E.B. (2022). Millennials in the workplace: Perceived supervisor support, work-life balance and employee well-being. Industrial and Commercial Training, 54(1), 123-144. Retrieved from- https://doi.org/10.1108/ICT05-2021-0041
- Parmelee, M. (2020). Pandemic reveals resiliency of gen z, millennials. WSJ. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://deloitte.wsj.com/articles/pandemic-revealsresiliencyof-gen-z-millennials-01596049325
- Perceived organizational support (n.d.). Classweb.Uh.Edu. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from http://classweb.uh.edu/eisenberger/perceived-organizational-support/
- Raišienė, A. G., Rapuano, V., & Varkulevičiūtė, K. (2021). Sensitive men and hard women: How do millennials, xennials and gen x manage to work from home? Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 7(2), 106. https://doi.org/10.3390/joitmc7020106
- Rhodes, L., & Eisenberger, R. (2002). Perceived organizational support: A review of the literature. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(4), 698-714.
- Shaw, W. S., Reme, S. E., Pransky, G., Woiszwillo, M. J., Steenstra, I. A., & Linton, S. J. (2013). The pain recovery inventory of concerns and expectations: A psychosocial screening instrument to identify intervention needs among patients at elevated risk of back disability. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 55, 885-894.
- Sija, A. (2021). The key factors influencing bank employees' performance during pandemic COVID-19: An investigation on selected banks in Malaysia. European Journal of Human Resource Management Studies, 5, 1. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.46827/ejhrms.v5i1.1010
- Thomas, R., Cooper, M., & Urban, K. (2021). Women in the workplace . Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/diversity-and-inclusion/women-inthe-workplace
- Thompson, P. S., Bergeron, D., M., & Bolino, M., C. (2020). No obligation? How gender influences the relationship between perceived organizational support and organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology, 105(11), 1338.
- Tirta, A. H., & Enrika, A. (2020). Understanding the impact of reward and recognition, work life balance, on employee retention with job satisfaction as mediating variable on millennials in Indonesia. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 14, 03. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.24052/JBRMR/V14IS03/ART-09
- Waizenegger, L., McKenna, B., Cai, W., & Bendz, T. (2020). An affordance perspective of team collaboration and enforced working from home during COVID-19. European Journal of Information Systems, 29(4), 429-442.
- Williams, G. A., Scarpetti, G., Bezzina, A., Vincenti, K., Grech, K., Kowalska-Bobko, Bobko, I. K., Sowada, C., Furman, M., Sobotka, M. G., & Maier, C. B. (2020). How are countries supporting their health workers during COVID-19? Eurohealth, 26(2), 58-62.
Abstract Views: 64
PDF Views: 0