A Randomised Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Psychological Interventions on Emotional Distress among Women undergoing Infertility Treatment
The non fulfillment of parenting has been associated with emotional crisis such as depression, anxiety, marital problems and social isolation. Few randomized controlled trials have been conducted to assess the effect of counseling on distress related to infertility and its treatment. The aim of this study was therefore to evaluate the effectiveness of a psychological interventions on emotional distress among infertile women undergoing infertility treatment. The objective of the study was to assess the psychological status of women undergoing infertility treatment. To evaluate the effectiveness of psychological interventions program in the study group compared to control group.
The study was conducted in ART centre of KLEs Dr Prabhakar Kore Hospital and MRC, Belgaum. 460 (230 in Study & 230 in Control) Infertile women were selected by convenience sampling design and the Research Design adopted was a single blinded randomized controlled trial. The study result showed that Comparison of pre & post tests scores in Study&control Group for HAM - A showed that Paired 't' test indicated that there was reduction in anxiety level after the intervention and unpaired 't' test of post tests scores showed extremely statistically significant difference in between the groups. HAM - D showed that paired 't' test indicated that there was reduction in depression level after the intervention and unpaired 't' test post tests scores showed extremely statistically significant difference in between the groups. Rosenberg self esteem scale showed that paired 't' test indicated that there was an improvement in their self esteem after the intervention and unpaired 't' test post tests scores showed extremely statistically significant difference in between the groups. Marital Adjustment Inventory showed that paired 't' test indicated that there was an improvement in their marital adjustment status after the intervention and unpaired 't' test of post test showed extremely statistically significant difference in between the groups. This indicated that intervention given to study group was effective.
- Larsen U, Research on infertility: Which definition should we use? Fertility and Sterility.2005; 83(4): 846-52
- Coleman J, Nonacs, R MGH Center for Woman’s Mental Health. Infertility,Assisted Reproduction and Mental Health.
- Nachtigall RD, Becker G, Wozny M. The Effects of gender-specific diagnosis on men’s and women’s response to infertility. Fertil Steril.1992; 57:113-21
- Wright J, Duchesne C, Sabourin S, Bissonnette F, Benoit J, Girard Y. Psychological distress and infertility, men and women respond differently. Fertil Steril.1991; 55:100-8.
- GYN [OB].com, the virtual OB.GYN office. The Psychology of Infertility.
- Domar AD, Zuttermeister PC, Seibel M, Benson H. Psychological improvement in infertile women after behavioral treatment: a replication. Fertil Steril.1992; 58(1):144-147.
- Demyttenaere K, Bonte L, Gheldof M, Vervaeke M, Meulman C, Vanderschuerem D, et al. Coping style and depression level influence outcome of in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril.1998; 68(6): 1026-1033.
- Lukse MP, Vacc NA. Grief, depression, and coping in women undergoing infertility treatment. Obstet and Gynecol 1999;93(2):245-51.
- Chen TH, Chang SP, Tsai CF, Juang KD: Prevalence of depressive and anxiety disorders in an assisted reproductive technique clinic. Hum Reprod. 2004; 19(23):13-8.
- Anderson KM. Sharpe M. Rattray A. Irvine DS. Distress and concerns in couples referred to a specialist infertility clinic. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2003; 54(4):353-5.
- Lapane KL, Zierler S, Lasater TM, Stein M, Barbour M, Hume AL. Is a history of depressive symptoms associated with an increased risk of infertility in women? Psychosom Med. 1995 ; 57:509–513.
- Meller WH, Zander KM, Crosby RD, Tagatz GE. Leuteinizing hormone pulse characteristics in depressed women. Am J Psychiatry. 1997; 154:1454-5.
- Haimovici F, Hill JA, ed. Cytokines in reproduction. Austin (TX): Landes Bioscience, 1998.
- Leiblum SR, Kemmann E, Lane MK. The psychological concomitants of in vitro fertilization. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 1987; 6:165-178
- Hynes GJ, Callan VJ, Terry DJ, Gallois C. The psychological well-being of infertile women after a failed IVF attempt: the effects of coping. Br J Med Psychol.1992; 65:269-278.
Abstract Views: 690
PDF Views: 0