Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
An Empirical Study of Effectiveness of Product Placement in Hindi Movies Compare to Television Shows
The aim of the study is to find effectiveness of product placement in movies compared to TV shows. In this Integrated Marketing Communication era, organisations are willing to take more attention for their products and promotions. So they are moving with the new advertising concept - product placement. In this paper, researchers try to compare the two tools of product placement and through which identify which one gets more attention and more attraction for buying behaviour. This study comprises samples of 250 consumers who are studying in post graduation and who watch Hindi movies and TV shows. The researchers have conducted research with five films and TV shows namely Golmaal 3, Tees Mar Khaa, Break ke Baad, Badmash Company, Band Baaja Barat and DID Doubles, Big Boss, Master Chef India, Jalak Dikhla Jaa and Comedy Circus. Data has been collected by the use of questionnaire, and the target audiences are PG college students. This research paper has implications for both academicians and practitioners which include the advertising agency people, the media planners, the brand managers, the film scriptwriters and producers for developing strategies to increase the use of product placement as a tool for brand communications. The paper also highlights the future research direction in this area for Indian brand managers and academicians.
Product Placement in Movies, Television Shows
- Kotler, P. & Keller, K. L. (2012). Marketing Management (14thed.). Australia: Pearson Education.
- Belch, E. G. & Belch, A. M. (2003). Advertising & Promotion. TATA McGraw Hill.
- Cooper, D. R. & Schindler, P. S. (2009). Business Research Methods (9thed.). Tata McGraw Hill.
- Kothari C. R. (2011). Quantitative Techniques (3rded). Vikas Publishing House.
- Sachdeva, J. K. (2011). Business Research Methodology. Himalaya Publishing.
- Chunawalla, S. A. & Sethia, K. C. (2007). Foundations of Advertising, Theory and Practices (6thed.). Mumbai: Himalaya Publishing House.
- Black, K. (2003). Business Statistics for Contemporary Decision Making (4thed). Canada: Wiley Student Edition.
- Richard, I. L. & David, S. R. (1994). Statistics for Management (6thed.). Pearson Education.
- Sharma, J. K. (2004). Business Statistics (2nded.). Addison Wesley.
- Willium, Z. (2003). Business Research Methods (7thed). Thompson Learning.
- Balasubramanian, S. K. (1994). Beyond advertising and publicity: Hybrid messages and public policy issues. Journal of Advertising, 23(4), 29-46.
- Bettman, J. R. (1979). An information processing theory of consumer choice. Reading, Boston,MA: Addison- Wesley Publishing Company.
- Brennan. I., Dubas, K. M. & Babin, L. A. (1999). The effects of placement type and exposure time on product placement recognition. International Journal of Advertising, 18, 323-38.
- D'Astous, A. & Chartier, F. (2000). A study of factors affecting consumer evaluations and memory of product placements in movies. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, 22(2), 31-40.
- Daugherty, T. & Gangadharbatla, H. (2005). A Comparison of Consumers' Responses to Traditional Advertising and Product Placement Strategies: Implications for Advertisers. American Marketing Association Conference Proceedings, Chicago.
- Deloitte. (2005). TMT Trends: Predictions, 2005: A focus on the media sector. In Paul Lee (ed), Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Consulting, United-States,The Netherlands, Hong-Kong.
- Fontaine, I. (2005). Brand placement in movies: a matter of exposure. Milan, Italy: EMAC 34th Conference.
- Fournier, S. & Robert, J. D. (1997). Launching the BMW Roadster. Case No-N9-597-002 Boston: Harvard Business School.
- Gupta, P. B. & Kenneth, R. L. (1998). Product placements in movies: The effect of prominence and mode on audience recall. Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 20(1), 47-59.
- Jaffe, J. (2005). Life after the 30-second spot. Hoboken, NJ: Adweek-John Wiley.
- Karrh, J. A. (1994). Effects of brand placements in motion pictures. Proceedings of the 1994 American Academy of Advertising.
- Nelson, M. R. (2002). Recall of brand placements in computer/ video games. Journal of Advertising Research, 42(2), 80-92.
- Newell, J. & Salmon, C. (2003). Product placement from Lumiere to E.T.: The development of advertising in motion pictures. Paper presented at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Conference, Ad Division: Special Topics, Kansas City, MO.
- O'Neill, E. & Barrett, M. (2004). TiVo - The next big thing - DVRs and television advertising models. Paper presented at the 6th World Media Economics Conference, HEC Montreal, Montreal, Canada.
- O'Reilly, D., Cripps, R., Kazani, E., Patel R. & Zarra, A. (2005). Interpretation of product placement by UK movie-goers: A qualitative study. Paper presented at the 34th European Marketing Academy Conference (EMAC), Milan, Italy.
- Turner, K. J. (2004). Insinuating the product into the message: An historical context for product placement. Journal of Promotion Management, 10(1/2), 9-14.
- http://www.merinews.com/article/product-placementthrough- movies soar/139581.shtml
- http://www.brand channel.om/features _effect.asp?pf_id=231
- http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile. asp?pr_id=379
- http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2009/10/product_ placements_in_movies_w.php
- http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/24/pf/ all_ads_everywhere/
- http://hal.archivesouvertes.fr/docs/00/34/45/36/PDF/ Bressoud_Lehu_2007a_Second_life_product_placement_ EMAC.pdf
- http://www.escpeap.net/conferences/marketing/2007_cp/ Materiali/Paper/Fr/Blonde_Roozen.pdf
- http://hal.archivesouvertes.fr/docs/00/30/36/67/PDF/ Bressoud_Lehu_2008_Product_Placement_viewers_ SILABO.pdf
- http://www.anzmac2008.org/_Proceedings/PDF/S01// CraigLees%20&%20Scott_S1%20S1%20P4.pdf
- https://lirias.hubrussel.be/bitstream/123456789/2869/1/0 9HRP38.pdf
- http://sciencestage.com/uploads/text/ KN4bFa32YYQsQzE4uBGh.pdf
- http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/09/productplacement- on-tv-too-much-too-little-or-who-cares.ars
- http://epubl.ltu.se/1404-5508/2003/137/LTU-SHU-EX- 03137-SE.pdf
- http://marketing-bulletin.massey.ac.nz/V15/MB_V15_ A1_Brennan.pdf
- https://ritdml.rit.edu/bitstream/handle/1850/5333/ MBovardKearse2006.pdf;jsessionid=A99916EDAA5 2DBFDB07BB850EB3927FD?sequence=2
- http://www.doria.fi /bitstream/handle/10024/35143/nbnfi fe20031411.pdf?sequence=1 www.aabri.com/manuscripts/ 10712.pdf
- http://www.reuters.com/article/ idUSTRE6184HZ20100209
- http://www.productplacement.biz/20090709933/productplacement- research/new-study-says-movie-productplacements- can-increase-brand-stocks.html
- http://promomagazine.com/entertainmentmarketing/ marketing_tv_placements_overtake/
- http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&sa=X&ei=qr68TrvkMI XNrQe0lZ3JAQ&ved=0CBcQBSgA&q=Why+Produ ct+Placement+Works+Feb+05&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=dbf7b31e88fb1529&biw=1366 &bih=667
- http://www.brandchannel.com/images/papers/531_kern_ wp_2011_marketing_trends_0911.pdf
- http://promomagazine.com/entertainmentmarketing/ marketing_tv_placements_overtake/.
- http://www.articlesbase.com/marketing-articles/measuring- the-effectiveness-of-your-advertising-campaign- 564280.html#ixzz0sbc5ZpqP www.boxoffi ceindia.com
- http://dspace.iimk.ac.in/handle/2259/175 http://dspace. iimk.ac.in/bitstream/2259/175/1/brand.pdf www.documentingreality. com
Abstract Views: 634
PDF Views: 0