Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Effect of Manufacturers’ Marketing Mixes on Brand Preferences of Bottled Mineral Water Retailers in Ethiopia: Evidence from Debre Birhan Town
The purpose of this study is to examine how marketing mixes of bottled mineral water manufacturers influence the brand preferences of retailers in Ethiopia. This study quantitatively examined how the four marketing mix elements (i.e., product, price, place, and promotion) affect the brand preference of retailers. To collect data, a total of 345 questionnaires were distributed to randomly selected managers in restaurants, groceries, supermarkets, and shops; and 310 usable questionnaires were employed for analysis. Descriptive and ANOVA, two-tailed t-test and multiple regression analysis were used. The finding shows that product, price, promotion, and distribution have a significant and a positive effect on retailers preference towards bottled mineral water brands. This study suggests that bottled mineral water manufacturers should design and upgrade their marketing programs in line with the requirements of customers in order to gain acceptance in the market.
Brand Preference, Product, Price, Promotion, Distribution, Bottled Water, Ethiopia
- Amofah, O. (2015). An assessment of the influence of service marketing mix on customer choice of resturant.
- Beyene, B. (2018). Effect of marketing mix on customer’s brand preference.
- Brezović, K., Stanković, R., Šafran, M., & Kolarić, G.(2021). Applying multi criteria analysis in evaluation of distribution channels. In EcoProduction (pp. 105122). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Cengiz, B. Y. (2007). The MMSelements of a company should focus on genereating value for customers. International Journal of Marketing Strategy.
- Creswell J. W. (2009). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (3rd ed.).Landon: Sega Publications.
- Davcik, N. S., Vinhas da Silva, R., & Hair, J. F.(2015). Towards a unified theory of brand equity: Conceptualizations, taxonomy and avenues for future research. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 24(1), 3-17.
- Ebrahim, R., Ghoneim, A., Irani, Z., Fan, Y., (2016). A brand preference and repurchase intention model: The role of consumer experience. J. Market. Manag., 32(13-14), 1230-1259.
- Ferrier, C. (2001). Bottled water: Understanding social phenomenon. A Journal of the Human Environment, 30, 118-119.
- Gleick, P. H. (2004). The myth and reality of bottled water the world’s water (pp. 17-43).
- Guissoni, L. A., Rodrigues, J. M., Zambaldi, F., & Neves, M. F. (2021). Distribution effectiveness through fulland self-service channels under economic fluctuations in an emerging market. Journal of Retailing, 97(4), 545-560.
- Hussain, I., Mu, S., Mohiuddin, M., Danish, R. Q., & Sair, S. A. (2020). Effects of sustainable brand equity and marketing innovation on market performance in hospitality industry: Mediating effects of sustainable competitive advantage. Sustainability, 12(7), 2939.
- Hwang, J., & Chung, J. E. (2019). What drives consumers to certain retailers for organic food purchase: The role of fit for consumers’ retail store preference. J. Retailing Consum. Serv., 47, 293-306.
- Kato, T. (2021). Functional value vs emotional value: A comparative study of the values that contribute to a preference for a corporate brand. International Journal of Information Management Data Insights, 1(2), 100024.
- Kegoro, H. O., & Justus, M. (2020). Critical review of literature on brand equity and customer loyalty. International Journal of Business Economics and Management, 7(3), 146-165.
- Kim, M.-S., & Kim, J. (2018). Linking marketing mix elements to passion-driven behavior toward a brand: Evidence from the foodservice industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30(10), 3040-3058.
- Kothari, C. (2004). Research methodology: Methods and techniques (2nd ed.). New Delhi, India: New Age International Publishers.
- Kumar, S., & Patra, S. (2017). Does promotion mix really help to enhance brand equity: A literature review. Asian Journal of Management, 8(4), 1387.
- Lee, J., & Nguyen, M. J. (2017). Product attributes and preference for foreign brands among Vietnamese consumers. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 35, 76-83.
- Malik, A., & Ullah, K. (2019). Distribution channels. In Introduction to Takaful (pp. 121-127). Singapore:
- Springer Singapore.
- Moon, S. J. (2009). A study on the effect of service quality on customer satisfaction and loyalty in pizza restaurant. Business Education, 53, 219-248.
- Obondi, W. A. (2020). The influence of indirect distribution channels on retailer restocking decisions of hair products in selected retail outlets within Nairobi central business district. University of Nairobi
- Yalew, M. (2014). Influence of bottled water packaging attributes on consumers’ purchase decision: Case study in Addis Ababa. Journal of Business and Administrative Studies (JBAS), 6(1), 47-78.
- Yasri, Y., Susanto, P., Hoque, M. E., & Gusti, M. A. (2020). Price perception and price appearance on repurchase intention of Gen Y: Do brand experience and brand preference mediate? Heliyon, 6(11).
- Vasudevan, M., & Senthilkumar, V. M. (2017). Impact of promotional strategies of hypermarkets. Asian Journal of Management, 8(3), 531-534.
- Yu, A. P.-I., Chuang, S.-C., Cheng, Y.-H., & Wu, Y.- C. (2020). The influence of sharing versus self-useon the preference for different types of promotional offers. Journal of Retailing and Consumer
- Services, 54(102026).
Abstract Views: 66
PDF Views: 0