Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Menstrual Leave Debate:Opportunity to Address Inclusivity in Indian Organization
Menstrual leave raises a number of questions regarding women’s health, workforce participation and gender equity at work. This paper addresses the issue in the context of urban women in the organized workforce. Their access to clean, safe toilets at work and at home puts them at a relative advantage compared to women in the unorganized sector. Menstrual leave policies, though well-intentioned, could have negative consequences for gender equity and need to be deployed with caution. The debate on the policy has raised important issues related to how workplaces can be more inclusive of women’s bodies. It is suggested that discussions on gender inclusivity must take into account the intersection of gender with age, class and position in the organizational hierarchy.
- Abrol, S. (2017), “Do Women in India Need Period Leave? Will it Ostracize Women in the Work Space?” India Today, [December 1,2017] http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/india-period-leave-culture-machine-menstruation-cramps-debate-lifest/1/1001419.html
- Bennington, L. & Habir, A. D. (2003), “Human Resource Management in Indonesia”, Human Resource Management Review, 13(3): 373-92.
- Belliappa, J. (2013), Gender, Class and Reflexive Modernity in India, Palgrave Macmillan, London: UK
- Blush Originals (2017),First Day of Period Leave [December 1st 2017]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avPgUxGC1Sg
- Budhwar, P. S., Saini, D. S.& Bhatnagar, J.(2005),”Women in Management in the New Economic Environment: The Case of India”, Asia Pacific Business Review, 11(2): 179-93.
- Chitra, R. (2017), Regressive or Real? Why period talk is touchy [December 1st, 2017]. https://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tracking-indian-communities/regressive-or-real-why-period-talk-is-touchy/
- Deepalakshmi, K. (2016), Will Sabrimala Temple Open Its Doors to Women? [December 1st, 2017]. http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/will-sabarimala-temple-open-its-doors-to-women/article14244058.ece1
- Dezso, C. L., & Ross, D. G. (2012),”Does Female Representation in Top Management Improve Firm Performance? A Panel Data Investigation”, Strategic Management Journal, 33(9): 1072-89.
- Dutt, B. (2017,)”I’m a Feminist. Giving Women a Day Off Is a Stupid Idea”,The Washington Post, [December 1st, 2017]. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/globalopinions/ wp/2017/08/03/im-a-feminist-but-giving-women-a-day-off-for-their-period-is-a-stupid-idea/?utm_term=.48f81611f0ec
- Fernandes, D. (2017), “A Response To Barkha Dutt’s Argument That Period Leave Is Regressive”, Youth Ki Awaaz, [December 1st 2017].
- Financial Express Online (2018) “Two Days Leave During Periods? Parliament May Discuss Menstruation Benefit Bill for the 1st Time – Know What It Is.” [January 31st, 2018] http://www.financialexpress.com/ india-news/two-days-leave-during-periods-parliament-may-discuss-menstruation-benefit-bill-for-the-1st-time-know-what-it-is/999091/
- Hekman, D. R., Johnson, S. K., Foo, M. D.& Yang, W. (2017),”Does Diversity-Valuing Behavior Result in Diminished Performance Ratings for Non-White and Female Leaders?”’ Academy of Management Journal, 60(2): 771-97.
- Herring, C. (2009), “Does Diversity Pay?: Race, Gender, and the Business Case for Diversity”,’ American Sociological Review, 74(2): 208-24.
- ITV.(2016), “Should Women be Given Menstrual Leave”?This Morning [December 1st 2017]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawr9yAzrAI
- Jain, N.& Mukherji, S. (2010), “The Perception of Glass Ceiling in Indian Organizations: An Exploratory Study”, South Asian Journal of Management, 17(1): 23.
- Janardhan, S. (2017), “How Companies Are Complicit in Hiring Discrimination against Women”, Feminism in India, [December 1st, 2017]. https://feminisminindia.com/2017/12/08/companies-complicit-hiring-discrimination-women/
- Lama, TK S (2017),. “Let’s Talk About Menstrual Leave for Dalit and Tribal Women”, Feminism in India. [December 1st, 2017]. https://feminisminindia.com/2017/08/24/ period-leave-dalit-tribal-women/#comment2516
- Lechman, Ewa & Harleen Kaur.(2015). “Economic Growth and Female Labor Force Participation–Verifying the U-feminization Hypothesis. New Evidence for 162 Countries over the Period 1990-2012,” Maternity Benefits Amendment Act. (2017), [December 1st 2017]. http://labour.gov.in/sites/default/filesMaternity%20Benefit%20 Amendment%20Act%2C2017%20.pdf
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Press Information Bureau, Government of India.( 2017), ‘Health Secretary Launches ‘SAATHIYA’ Resource Kit and ‘SAATHIYA SALAH’ Mobile App for Adolescents’ [December 1st, 2017]. http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=158578
- Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation, Government of India (2016). Participation in the Economy: Women and Men in India. [December 1st, 2017]. http://mospi.nic.in/sites/default/files/reports_and_publication/statistical_publication/social_statistics/WM16Chapter4.pdf
- Nath, D. (2000),”Gently Shattering the Glass Ceiling: Experiences of Indian Women Managers”, Women in Management Review, 15(1): 44-52.
- NDTV (2017), News at Nine [December 1st, 2017]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0mzeyUs48c
- Owens, L. (2016), Why We Need School and Workplace Policies for Menstruation & Menopause,http://laraowen.com/wp-content/ uploads/2016/07/Why-We-Need-School-and-Workplace-Policies.pdf
- Pathak, G. S.(2015),Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Contemporary India: An Ethnographic Study of Globalization, Disorder, and the Body,PhD Thesis, University of Arizona
- Rawat, P. S. & Basergekar, P. (2016),”Managing Workplace Diversity: Performance of Minority Employees”, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 51(3): 488-502.
- Rogers, P. Thomas, AW, D’Hooghe, M, Fazleabas, A ,Gargett, C.E, Giudice, LC Montgomery, G. ,W., Rombauts, L., Salamonsen, L A & Zondervan, K.T (2009), “Priorities for Endometriosis Research: Recommendations from an international consensus workshop,” Reproductive Sciences 16, no. 4: 335-346.[December 1st, 2017]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19196878
- Sanghani, R. (2015),”Indian Women Protest Temple that Wants to Scan Them for ‘Impure’ Periods”, Telegraph[December 1st, 2017]. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/healthfitness/body/indian-women-protest-temple-that-wants-to-scan-them-for-impure-p/
- Sarfaraz, K. (2015), “In Jamia – How #Pads Against Sexism Turned into People Against Sanitary Pads”, Youth Ki Awaaz [December 1st 2017]. https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2015/03/pads-against-sexism-delhi/
- Sahay, M. (2017), “#FOP Leave: What Does Menstrual Leave Mean for Working Women”, Feminism in India[December 1st, 2017]. https://feminisminindia.com/2017/07/10/fopleave-menstrual-leave-working-women/
- Sheroes (n.d),. “Employment Opportunities and Company Reviews”,[December 1st 2017]. https://sheroes.com/organizations
- vanEijk, A. M., Sivakami, M., Thakkar, M. B., Bauman, A., Laserson, K. F., Coates, S., & Phillips-Howard, P. A.(2016),.”Menstrual Hygiene Management among Adolescent Girls in India: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis”, BMJ Open 6(3) [December 1st 2017] http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/3e010290?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BMJOp_TrendMD-0
- Varkkey, B, & Korde. R (2013), Gender Pay Gap in the Formal Sector: 2006-2013: Preliminary Evidence from Paycheck India Data, No. id: 5571. Research Report [December 1st 2017]. https://ideas.repec.org/p/ess/wpaper/id5571.html
- Verma, M., Bhal, K. T.& Vrat, P. (2013),”Impact of Gender Sensitive Practices on Job Satisfaction & Stress Levels”, The Indian Journal of Industrial Relations,49 (2): 286-97
- Vohra, P. (2006), Q2P [December 1st, 2017]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJh_BamKgo
- Water Aid.(2016),Overflowing Cities: The State of the World’s Toilets, Research Report.[December 1st 2017]. https://washmatters.wateraid.org/sites/g/files/jkxoof256/filesOverflowing%20cities%20%20The%20State%20of%20the%20Worlds%20Toilets%202016.pdf
- Waldman, K. (2017), “Thanks, but We Will Pass on Paid Menstrual Leave”, Slate[Retrieved, December 1st, 2017]. http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/05/16/paid_menstrual_leave_not_a_good_idea_period.html
- Wayne, J. H.& Casper, W. J. (2012),”Why Does Firm Reputation in Human Resource Policies Influence College Students? The Mechanisms Underlying Job Pursuit Intentions”, Human Resource Management, 51(1): 121-42.
- World Economic Forum (2017), Global Gender Gap Report[Retrieved, December 1st 2017]. http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GGGR_2017.pdf
- Zillman, C. (2017),”Why This Company’s New ‘Menstrual Leave’ Policy Is Especially Misguided”, Fortune. [December 1st, 2017] http://fortune.com/2017/07/12/menstrual-leave-india/
Abstract Views: 46
PDF Views: 1