Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
COVID-19 and the Elderly Support System in Urban India: Challenges and Concerns
The world is grappling with Covid-19 pandemic for almost two years now. The human population has been affected at all strata in innumerable ways. The elderly seems to be the worst impacted not only at the physical health level but psychologically too. A meta-analytic understanding of elderly research clearly shows their high susceptibility to the pandemic conditions. The lockdown conditions led to a collapse of the social support networks enjoyed by the urban elderly population. The traditional roles of family members, relatives, domestic helps and paid caregivers as support systems, metamorphosised with the announcement of the lockdown. The study purports to understand the changed social support networks that the elderly population has used to satiate their physical, social and psychological needs during the lockdown period. A sample of the urban elderly population was studied for the social support networks using a standardized psychometric test. To understand the altered support systems during the pandemic lockdown a group of volunteers working with the elderly population was interviewed. This helped to understand the assistance provided by them for various needs expressed by the elderly population. The discussions and interviews have been taken as a source to develop a possible understanding of the elderly social support networks in the urban Indian settings for active ageing under modern critical conditions.
social support network, active aging, gender differences, pandemic lockdown, volunteered support
- Ahlin, T. (2020). Eldercare at a distance: On remittances and everyday information and communication technologies (ICTs) in Indian transnational families. In C. Brosius and R. Mandoki (Eds.), Caring for old age: Perspectives from South Asia (pp. 213236). Heidelberg University Publishing. doi:10.17885/heiup.597
- Akundi, S. (2019). Need help taking care of elderly parents living miles away from you?. The Hindu. https://www.Thehindu.com/society/need-help-taking-care-of-elderlyparentslivingmiles-away-from-you/article30077323.ece
- AARP. (2020). Can I get paid to be a caregiver for a family member? https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financiallegal/info-2017/you-can-get-paid-as-a-familycaregiver.
- html#:~:text=In%20some%20states%2C%20that%20 can,house%20as%20the%20care%20recipien
- Barrerra, M.J. (1986). Distinctions between social support concepts, measures and modes. American Journal of Community Psychology, 14, 413- 425.
- Cantor, M.H., Berman, M., & Sainz, A. (1994). The importance of ethnicity in social support systems of older New Yorkers: A longitudinal perspectives (1970- 1990). Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 22(3/4), 95-128.
- Chao, T. Y. S. (2017). Planning for greying cities: Age-friendly city planning and design research and practice. Taylor and Francis.
- Cornwell, B., Laumann, E.O., & Schumm, L.P. (2008). The social connectedness of older adults: A national profile. American Sociological Review, 73(2), 185-2003.
- Gangopadhyay, J. (2020). Examining the lived experiences of ageing among older adults living alone in India. In M. K. Shankardass (Ed.), Ageing issues and responses in India (pp. 207-219). Springer. Doi:10.1007/978-981-15-5187-1_13
- Gheysen, F., Poppe, L., DeSmet, A., Swinnen, S., Cardon, G., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., Chastin, S., & Fias, W. (2018). Physical activity to improve cognition in older adults: Can physical activity programs enriched with cognitive challenges enhance the effects? A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 15(1), 63. https://doi.org/10.1186/s129660180697-x
- Johnson, B. (1983). Impediments to family support in depressed elderly. The Gerontologist, 19, 5-6.
- Kra'use, N. (1999). Assessing change in social support during later life. Psychology and Ageing, 5(3), 315- 326.
- McPhee, J. S., French, D. P., Jackson, D., Nazroo, J., Pendleton, N., & Degens, H. (2016). Physical activity in older age: Perspectives for healthy ageing and frailty. Biogerontology, 17(3), 567-580. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10522 01696410
- Narang, D., Kordia, K., Meena, J., & Meena, K. (2013). Interpersonal relationships of elderly within the family. International Journal of Social Science and Interdisciplinary Research, 2(3), 132-138.
- Neumann, A. (2020, May 14). Nursing home workers tell their stories: 'You don't understand the stress we're going through'. The Guardian. https://www.thegua rdian.com/world/2020/may/14/nursing-home-workers-carers-coronavirus
- Ozbay, F., Johnson, D.C., Dimoulas, E., Morgan, C.A., Charney, D., & Southwick, S. (2007). Social support and resilience to stress from neurobiology to clinical practice. Psychiatry (Edgmont), 4(5), 35-40.
- Ofori-Asenso, R., Chin, K. L., Mazidi, M., Zomer, E., Ilomaki, J., Zullo, A. R., Gasevic, D., Ademi, Z., Korhonen, M. J., LoGiudice, D., Bell, J. S., & Liew, D. (2019). Global incidence of frailty and prefrailty among community dwelling older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Network Open, 2(8), e198398. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.8398
- Pimentel, A.F., Afonson, R.M., & Pereira, H. (2012). Depression and social support in old age. Psicol Saúde e Doenças, 13(2), 311-327.
- Prattley, J., Buffel, T., Marshall, A., & Nazroo, J. (2020). Area effects on the level and development of social exclusion in later life. Social Science and Medicine, 246, 112722. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2019.112722
- Rikhi, M., & Chadha, N.K. (2004). The status of empirical research in issues related to social support of elderly. Indian Journal of Gerontology, 18(2), 237-264.
- Shaw, B. A. (2005). Anticipated support from neighbors and physical functioning during later life. Research on Aging, 27(5), 503-525.
- Shanas, E. (1979). The role of older people in contemporary united states. Selected Readings in aging, March, 19- 25. United Nations Population Fund (2017). Caring for our elders: Early responses'-India ageing report. Author. https://india.unfpa.org/ sites/default/files/pub-pdf/India%20Ageing%20Report%20-%202017%20%28Final%20Version%29.pdf
- United Nations Population Fund (2012). Building a knowledge base on population ageing in India: Report on the status of elderly in select states of India, 2011. https://india.unfpa.org/sites/default/ files/pub-pdf/AgeingReport_2012_F.pdf
- Ugargol, A. P., & Bailey, A. (2020). Reciprocity between older adults and their caregivers in emigrant households of Kerala, India. Ageing and Society, pp. 1-27. doi:10.1017/ S0144686X1900
- Van Hoof, J., Kazak, J. K., Perek-Białas, J. M., & Peek, S. T. M. (2018). The challenges of urban ageing: Making cities age-friendly in Europe. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(11), 2473. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15112473
- Wiles, J. L., Leibing, A., Guberman, N., Reeve, J., & Allen, R. E. (2012). The meaning of “aging in place” to older people. The Gerontologist, 52(3), 357-366. doi:10.1093/geront/gnr098
- Woolrych, R., Fisher, J., Lawthom, R., Sixsmith, J., Makita, M., Porte lla, A., Pereira, G., & Murray, M. (2018). Experiences of social participation and place among older adults living in urban neighborhoods in the UK and Brazil. Innovation in Aging, 2(1), 242-242. https://doi.org/10.1093/geroni/ igy023.904
Abstract Views: 146
PDF Views: 0