The Impact of Selected Factors on The Quality of Business Environment Assessment in The Czech Republic and The Slovak Republic
The paper’s aim is to examine the dependence of the quality of the business environment on defined technological factors (availability of human capital and research and development infrastructure) and to define and quantify significant technological factors that create the quality of the business environment in the SMEs segment. Part of its goal was the comparison of the defined factors between the Czech Republic (CR) and the Slovak Republic (SR). In connection with the stated research goal, a questionnaire survey was conducted among businesses operating in the SME segment. Through this research, 312 companies were surveyed in the Czech Republic and 329 companies in the Slovak Republic. To achieve the primary goal of the article, methods such as correlation analysis and multiple linear regression modelling (t-tests, F-ratio, adjusted coefficient of determination, and so on) were applied. The results of the research have brought interesting findings. Research and development infrastructure, as well as the availability of human capital are important factors that have a positive impact on the business environment in both countries.
- Kotaskova, A., & Rozsa, Z. (2018). The impact of selected factors on the quality of business environment assessment in the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge, 6(2), 71-80. doi: 10.2478/IJEK-2018-0015
- Acs, Z. J., Braunerhjelm, P., Audretsch, D. B., & Carlsson, B. (2009). The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship. Small Business Economics, 32(1), pp. 15–30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-008-9157-3
- Belas, J., Dvorsky, J., Kubalek, J., & Smrcka, L. (2018). Important factors of financial risk in the SME segment. Journal of International Studies, 11(1), pp. 80-92. doi:10.14254/2071-8330.2018/11-1/6
- Belas, J., Kljucnikov, A., Vojtovic, S., & Sobekova-Majkova, M. (2015). Approach of the SME Entrepreneurs to Financial Risk Management in Relation to Gender and Level of Education. Economics and Sociology, Vol. 8, No 4, pp. 32–42.
- Bergmann, H., Hundt, C., Sternberg, R. (2016). What makes student entrepreneurs? On the relevance (and irrelevance) of the university and the regional context for student start-ups. Small Bus Econ 47, 53.
- Bockova, N., & Zizlavsky, O. (2016). The Innovation and Financial Performance of a Company: A Study from Czech Manufacturing Industry. Transformations in Business & Economics, 15(3), pp. 156–175.
- Botlikova, M., Botlik, J. (2014). Analysis of Business Environment. Sbornik prispevku XVII. mezinarodni kolokvium o regionalnich vedach, Hustopece 18.–20. 6. 2014.
- Bunoa, M., Nadanyiova, M., & Hraskova, D. (2015). The comparison of the quality of business environment in the countries of Visegrad group. Procedia Economics and Finance 26, pp. 423–430.
- Calabrese, A., Campisi, D., Capece, G., Costa, R., & Di Pillo, F. (2013). Competiveness and Innovation in High-tech Companies: An Application to the Italian Biotech and Aerospace Industries. International Journal of Engineering Business Management, 5, 40. https://doi.org/10.5772/56755
- Conorto, R. a kol. (2014). Analyza, monitor kvality podnikateľskeho prostredia v SR a konkurencieschopnosť ekonomiky. Bratislava: Centrum vzdelavania MPSVR SR.
- Czarniewski, S. (2016). Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Context of Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Economy. Polish Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 30–39.
- Dobes, K., Kot, S., Kramolis, J., & Sopkova, G. (2017). The Perception of Governmental Support in The Context of Competitiveness of SMEs in the Czech Republic. Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 9, Issue 3, pp. 34–50. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2017.03.03
- Dubravska, M., Mura, L., Kotulic, R., & Novotny, J. (2015). Internationalization of Entrepreneurship – Motivating Factors: Case Study of the Slovak Republic. Acta Polytechnica Hungarica, 12 (5), pp. 121–133.
- Fetisovova, E. a kol. (2012). Aktualne problemy financii malych a strednych podnikov. Bratislava: Ekonom.
- Gonzalez-Pernia, J. L., Jung, A., & Pena, I. (2015). Innovation-driven entrepreneurship in developing economies. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 27(9–10), pp. 555–573. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985626.2015.1075602
- Hashi, I., & Krasniqi, B. A. (2011). Entrepreneurship and SME growth: evidence from advanced and laggard transition economies. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 17(5), pp. 456–487. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551111158817
- Hudakova, M., Schonfeld, J., Dvorsky, J., & Luskova, M. (2017). The market risk analysis and methodology of its more effective management in SMEs in the Slovak Republic. Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 13(2), pp. 151-161. doi:10.14254/1800-5845/2017.13-2.10
- Hudakova, M., Dvorsky, J. (2018). Assessing the risks and their sources in dependence on the rate of implementing the risk management process in the SMEs. Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, 13(3). doi: 10.24136/eq.2018.027
- Chladkova, H. (2015). Selected approaches to the business environment evaluation. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Volume 63, Number 2, pp. 513–523. http://dx.doi.org/10.11118/actaun201563020515
- Irwin, D., Scott, J. M. (2010). Barriers Faced by SMEs in Raising Bank Finance. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, 16(9).
- Ivanova, E., & Kordos, M. (2017). Innovation policy of SMEs in Slovakia in the context of European Union innovation policy. Marketing and Management of Innovations, (3), pp. 213–225. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2017.3-20
- Jones, P., Miller, C., Jones, A., Packham, G., Zbierowski, P. (2011). Attitudes and motivations of Polish students towards entrepreneurial activity. Education + Training, Vol. 53(5), pp. 416–432.
- Kljucnikov, A., Popesko, B. (2017). Export and its Financing in The SME Segment. Case Study From Slovakia. Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 9, Issue 1, pp. 20–35. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2017.01.02
- Korcsmaros, E., Mura, L., Simonova, M. (2017). Identification of small and medium-sized enterprises development in Slovakia. Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 1702-1712.
- Kovaľova, M., Hvolkova, L., Klement, L., Klementova, V. (2018). Innovation strategies in the Slovak enterprises. Acta Oeconomica Universitatis Selye 7 (1), pp. 79 – 89.
- Kozubikova, L., Homolka, L., Kristalas, D. (2017). The Effect of Business Environment and Entrepreneurs’ Gender on Perception of Financial Risk in The SMEs Sector. Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 9, Issue 1, pp. 36–50. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2017.01.03
- Krasniqi, B. A., & Desai, S. (2016). Institutional drivers of high-growth firms: country-level evidence from 26 transition economies. Small Business Economics, 47(4), pp. 1075–1094. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-016-9736-7
- Lafuente, E. M., Vaillant, Y. (2013). Age Driven Influence of Role-Models on Entrepreneurship in a Transition Economy. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, Vol. 20, No 1, s.181–203.
- Lazanyi, K., Virglerova, Z., Dvorsky, J., & Dapkus, R. (2017). An analysis of factors related to “taking risks”, according to selected socio-demographic factors. Acta Polytechnica Hungarica, 14(7), pp. 35-50. doi:10.12700/APH.14.7.2017.7.3
- Millian, J. M., Congregado, E., Roman, C., Van Praag, M., Van Stel, A. (2014). The value of an educated population for an individual’s entrepreneurship success. Journal of Business Venturing, 29, pp. 312–632.
- Naude, W., Gries, T., Wood, E., Meintjiess, A. (2008). Regional determinants of Entrepreneurial Startups in a Developing Country. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, Vol. 20, No 2, pp.111–124.
- Oehler, A., Hofer, A., Schalkowski, H. (2015). Entrepreneurial education and knowledge: empirical evidence on a sample of German undergraduate students. J Technol Transf 40, pp. 536–557.
- Popescu, C. C., Bostan, I., Robu, I. B., Maxim, A., & Diaconu, L. (2016). An Analysis of the Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intentions among Students: A Romanian Case Study. Sustainability, 8, 771.
- Rauch, A., Rijsdijk, S. A. (2013). The effects of general and specific human capital on long-term growth and failure of newly founded businesses. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 37(4), pp. 923-941.
- Tredevi, R. (2016). Does university play significant role in shaping entrepreneurial intention? A cross-country comparative study, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, Vol. 23(1), pp. 790–811.
- Van der Sluis, J., Van Praag, M. (2008). Education and Entrepreneurship Selection and Performance: A Review of the Empirical Literature. Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol. 22, No 5, pp.795–841.
- Velez, C.M. (2009). The Probability of Transition to Entrepreneurship Revisited: Wealth, Education and Age. Annals of Finance, Vol. 5, No 3, pp.421–441.
- Wruuck, P. (2015). The business environment in the eurozone. Deutsche Bank AG Deutsche Bank Research Frankfurt am Main Germany. Available at: https://www.dbresearch.com/PROD/DBR_INTERNET_EN-PROD/ PROD 000000_0000379559/The_business_environment_in_the_eurozone%3A_Why_it_i.pdf
- Zizlavsky, O. (2016). Innovation performance measurement: research into Czech business practice. Economic Research-Ekonomska Istrazivanja, 29(1), pp. 816–838.
Abstract Views: 136
PDF Views: 26