Open Access Subscription Access
An Economic Analysis of Migration Among the Badagas of the Nilgiris
This paper intends to analyse the migration of a single community namely the Badagas of the Nilgiris for various reasons. Earlier only a few Badagar were migrated to get employment and transfer/promotion in their jobs. Though the Badagas were stated many reasons, the ischolar_main cause was the fall in the price of tea during the late 1990s. Since then these Badagas were slowly spread to the neighbouring districts viz., Coimbatore, Tirupur and Erode. Coimbatore is the adjoining district where they could get easy access for all their needs and also to contact their relations in the native. In this context, this paper tries to focus on the reasons for migration and also to analyse the determinants of migration among the Badagas by selecting two villages in north Coimbatore.
Migration, Badagas, Determinants of Migration.
- Arivazhagan R., Udhayakumar A, Arivazhagan V. "Rural Labour Migration: A Case Study in Villupuram District of Tamil Nadu", International Journal of Management And Development Studies, vol. 3(7), Jul. 2014. ISSN (Online): 2320-0685 21 Available: www.ijmds.com.
- Balasubramaiyam B. "The History of Badagas - Adapted from the Book - Paame" Breeks. "The History of Badagas", Dec. 13, 2011.
- Inkpen C. 7 Facts about World Migration, Fact Tank, Sep. 2, 2014.
- Das., Murmu A. "Female Migration to Mega Cities of India", Journal of history and Social Sciences, vol. 1(1), p. 1-9, 2010.
- Anupam H. "Rural India: Still Floating towards Cities", Kurukshetra, vol. 60(4), p. 3-5, 2012.
- Available: http://knowledge.allianz.com/?454/indias-massive-migration-crisis.
- Available: http://www.indiantravelportal.com/tamil-nadu/tribes/badagas.html.
- Available: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/editingwriting-topics/66380-reasons-migration-essay.html
- Human Migration Guide (K-2), National Geographic Society, Vol. 1, 2005.
- Jothy K., Kalaiselvi S. "Patterns of Internal Migration: An Analysis Using Census Data of Tamilnadu", International Journal of Current Research, vol. 3(1), p. 89-96, 2011.
- Gupta K. "Drought forces Bundelkhand Farmers to Migrate". News from NDTV. Aug 17, 2009.
- Madhavi. "Urbanisation and Migration Patterns in Navi Mumbai", Southern Economist, vol. 47(14), p. 11-13, 2008.
- Migration: A World on the Move, "Commission on Population Development 2013", New trends in Migration: Demographic aspects North Lawn Building.
- Neetha N. "Making of Female Breadwinners-Migration and Social Networking of Women Domestics in Delhi", Economic Political Weekly, vol. 29(17), p. 1681-1688, 2004.
- Prakash L., Honakeri. "Inter-state Migrant Workers in Kerala: An Analysis of the Socio-Economic Background", Journal of the Indian Institute of Economics, p. 47-54, 2012.
- Abbas R, Varma D. Internal Labor Migration in India Raises Integration Challenges for Migrants, Mar 3, 2014.
- Rao., Appa. Rural Out-Migrants in a Low Population Growth Setting, Census 2001 and Human development in India, New Delhi: Serials publications, 2004.
- Dwivedi R. "Migration: An Overview and Relevant Issues", Amity School or Rural Management, vol. 8(2), p. 25-33, 2012.
- Murugan S., Lakshmi A. "Rural Development and Migrant Fishermen in Tamilnadu", Kurukshetra, vol. 59(2), p. 30-33, 2010.
- Sushanta., Banerjee., Jayachandran., Roy. "Has Emigration Influenced Kerala's Living Standards? A Micro Level Investigation", Economic Political Weekly, vol. 26(32), p. 1755-1765, 2002.
- UNDP Forty-Sixth Session, "Linking Population, Poverty and Development", 22-26 Apr 2013.
- Vinayakam K., Sekar S.P. "Rural To Urban Migration in an Indian Metropolis: Case Study Chennai City", IOSR JHSS, vol. 6(3), p. 32-35, 2013.
Abstract Views: 465
PDF Views: 391