Open Access Subscription Access
Environmental Studies: A Practical Plan for Integrating Environmental Education as a Student Experience
Environmental education is being taught at various levels worldwide. It provides an opportunity for the students in understanding the current context of the environment. Many variables complicate the existing problems of the environment threatening life on this planet. The Supreme Court of India has made Environmental Studies compulsory in higher education enabling students of all streams to study and gain knowledge about the problems the environment faces and help solve them. Not only India but various countries across the globe have realised the importance of environmental education at school/ college level and are working towards making it a necessary component of their education system. This article summarises the necessity for a well structured syllabus for environmental education and tries to throw light on the various opportunities that are associated with it.
Environmental Education, Environmental Issues, Opportunities, The Supreme Court, Syllabus.
- Rajlakshmi Ghosh & Sharangee Dutta. 27.05.2019. UGC Mandates Environmental Studies at UG Level. The Times of India.
- Deeksha Dave. 19.08.2020. Teaching Environmental studies as a subject in Higher Educational Institutions. Higher Education Review.
- Susan Toth. 12.05.2021. Top 10 benefits of Environmental education. Project Learning Tree.
- UN Environment Programme. 12.07.2021. Eye on Environmental Education.
- Lars Emmelin. Environmental Education at University Level, 1977.Springer. Ambio Vol No. 4, 201-209.
- Jadhav A.S. Jadhav V.V. Raut P.D, Role of Higher Education Institutions in Environmental Conservation and Sustainable development: A case study of Shivaji University, Maharashtra, India, Journal of Environment and Earth Sciences, 2014, ISSN 2224-3216, Vol.4, No. 5.
- Kerr,C.The uses of the university. 3rd ed. Cambridge. 1982. Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- HANS van WEENEN. Towards a vision of sustainable university – A case of University of Amsterdam. 2000. IJSHE. Vol 1. No 1.20.
- Dresner, M. & Gill, M.. Environmental education at summer nature camp. 1994. The Journal of Environmental Education. 25 (3). 35-41.
- Karakaya,F & Yilmaz,M. Environmental Ethics Awareness of Teachers. International Electronic Journal of Environmental Education. 2017. Vol 7. No. 2. 105-115.
- Bishnu B Bhandari & Osamu Abe. Environmental Education in the Asia-Pacific Region: Some Problems and Prospects. International Review for Environmental Strategies. 2000. Vol.1. No.1. 55-77.
- Sonowal, CJ. Environmental Education in Schools: The Indian Scenario. Journal of Human Ecology. 2009. VOl.28. No.1. 15-36.
Abstract Views: 130
PDF Views: 7