Open Access Subscription Access
Role of Media in Education as Perceived by Senior Secondary School Students and Their Parents
The Present Study aims to explore the Role of media in education as perceived by senior secondary school students and their parents. The present study has provided the research based results and will help the parents, teachers and student to understand that how media plays effective role not only in the field of entertainment but also giving knowledge through television, radio, newspaper, internet etc. Media has become the first source of giving knowledge. Sample of 200 adolescents were taken from various private and government schools of Ludhiana district of Punjab and 200 corresponding parents of those adolescents were selected for the present study. To explore the perception of parents and students, ‘Perception about the Role of Media in Education (PRME)’ Prepared by Dr.Sushil Kumar Singh & Miss. Veerpal Kaur was used. Mean, SD, t-test and Correlation were used for analysis of data. From the analysis it was concluded that there exists no significant difference in the perception of boys and girls Senior Secondary School regarding the Role of Media in Education and there exists no significant difference in the perception of Senior Secondary School Students and their Parents regarding the Role of Media in Education.
Role of Media, Senior Secondary School Students, Parents.
- Adriana, B. (1998). Sources of Influence on Moral Decisions Made by Adolescent Females Attending, Catholic High School, M. S. W. Thesis, California State University, Long Beach.
- Adamson, C. (2012). The role of social media in education. Retrieved 21-01-2013 from http://www.icwe.net/oeb_special/OEB_Newsportal/the-role-of-social-and-mobilemediain-education/
- Austin, E.W. & Pinkleton, E. B. (2001). The Role of Interpretation Processes and Parental Discussion in the Media's Effects on Adolescents' Use of Alcohol,Vol.105,343-349, Murrow School of Communication, Washington State University, Washington.
- Banfield, T. S. (2000). The relationship between reading beauty and fashion magazines and the use of pathogenic dieting methods among adolescent females Adolescence, vol 37, 1-18.
- Bissell, K. & Birchall, K. (2007). Playing like a Girl: Perceived Influence of the Media and Parents and Body Self-Esteem in Adolescent Female Athletes, Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Borges, B. (2012). 40 year history of social media infographic poster. Retrieved 21-01-2013 from http://www.findandconvert.com/2012/02/40-year-history-of-social-media/
- Clark, S. (1998). Identity Discourse and Media Audiences: A Critical Ethnography of the Role of Visual Media in Religious Identity Construction among United States Adolescents, Thesis, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Davis, F. D. (1993). User acceptance of information technology: System characteristics, user perceptions and behavioural impacts. Academic Press Limited, 38, 475-487
- Earles, K. & Alexander, R. (2008). Media influences on children and adolescents: violence and sex, Morehouse school of Medicine Department of Pediatrics Atlanta, USA.
- Goldberg, E. M. (2003). American Media and the Smoking-related Behaviors of Asian Adolescents, Journal of Advertising Research, 2-11, Cambridge University Press, Copyright 1960-2003.
- Gunther, A. B & Liebhart, J. L. (2002). Media use perceived parental media guidance and supportive parents- child communication in 8th and 9th grade children. Teachers College Record Volume 94, 62-65, http://www.tcrecord.org
- Hobbs, R. (2004). A review of school-based initiatives in media literacy education. American Behavioural Scientist, 48(1), 42-59.
- Jackson, C. (2011). Teaching tolerance: Your students love social media and so can you. Retrieved 21-01- 2013 from http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-39-spring-2011/feature/your-students-love-socialmedia-and-so-can-you
- Larson, D. (2012). Infographic: Spring 2012 social media user statistics. Retrieved 2101-2013 from http://blog.tweetsmarter.com/social-media/spring-2012-social-media-user-statistics/
- Lepi, K. (2012). 25 ways teachers can integrate social media into education. Retrieved 13-02-2013 from http://edudemic.com/2012/07/a-teachers-guide-to-social-media/
- Malik, M. & Kolawole, O. D. (2004). Perceived roles of African rural parents in child education and development, Published in: Early Child Development and Care, Volume 54, Issue 7 & 8 December 2004, 721-731, Obafemi Awolowo University , Nigeria.
- McCarraher, L. (2005). Family Viewing: A Report on parent’s children and the media, produced by National Children’s Bureau Enterprises Ltd the trading company for the National Children’s Bureau, 8 Wakley Street, London Parenting Education & Support Forum Printed by MCP Litho London.
- Naigle, D. (2005). Literature Review of Media Messages to Adolescent Female, Educational Communications and Technology, University of Saskatchewan.
Abstract Views: 221
PDF Views: 2