Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Modelling Earthquake Effects on Wastewater Overflow Pollutants
Earthquakes can cause a variety of damage in a wastewater network. One of the key impacts of an earthquake is the increase in wastewater overflow due to high inflow and infiltration. Earthquake impacts on sewer overflow volume and sewer overflow water pollutants in Christchurch are reported in this paper. Two hydraulic models (the 2010 pre-earthquake model and the 2011 post-earthquake model) were used as part of this investigation. In Christchurch, earthquakes caused a 30% increase in wastewater overflow volume in a 1 in 3 year’s rainfall event whereas the sewage overflow volume had increased by around 18% and 15% during the 1 in 5 years and 1 in 10 year’s rainfall events respectively. The amount of water pollutants discharged via sewer overflow increased by around 40%, 12% and 8% in the 1 in 3 year’s, 1 in 5 years and 1 in 10 year’s rainfall events respectively. Though there was a significant increase in sewer overflow volume in the post-earthquake network, it did not mean water pollutants discharged via the sewer overflow points also increased significantly. The concentration of water pollutants decreased as the sewer overflow volume increased.
Earthquake Effects, Hydraulic Model, Water Quality, Wastewater Network, Wastewater Overflow Pollutants, Wastewater Pollutants.
- Baghel PS. and Tiwari AK. Comparative Physico-Chemical Analysis of Mandakini River Water at Chitrakoot, District Satna (MP), India. Research J. Science and Tech. 2016; 8(2):71-76.
- Niaz. A. Shah A. Sohail M. and Shabeer M. Assessment of Drinking Water Quality of Tehsil Mir Ali North Waziristan Agency. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(12): Dec., 2012; Page 1424-1430
- Bhuyan PK. Samantray P. and Rout SP. Rout. Assessment of Quality of Ground Water and Surface Water of Choudwar Area in Cuttack District. Asian J. Research Chem. 4(8): August, 2011; Page 1214-1220.
- Rao CS. Rao BS. and Hariharan A. Some Studies on the Water Quality Parameters of Guntur District Andhraprdesh, India. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(3): July- Sept. 2010; Page 688-690.
- Sharma N. Bhandari S. and Bhargava AK. Impact of seasonal variation and pollution level on distribution of microbial-aquatic organisms in Paodhoi river at Saharanpur. Asian J. Research Chem 8(3): March 2015; Page 155-160
- Balamurugan C. and Hebsibai LL. Studies on the Pollution Potential of Vaigai River at Madurai, India. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(9): September, 2012; Page 1108-1112.
- Mbui D. Chebet E. Kamau G. and Kibet J. The State of Water Quality in Nairobi River, Kenya. Asian J. Research Chem. 2016; 9(11): 579-586.
- Dixit SK. Tiwari AK. And Chaturvedi AK. Preliminary Investigations of Ground Water Quality in Rural Areas of Karwi, Chitrakoot. Research J. Science and Tech. 7(3): July- Sept. 2015; Page 176-182.
- Chapolikar A. Bharad J. Madje B. and Ubale M. Microbiological and Physico-Chemical analysis of Ground Water from Thane-Belapur Industrial Area, Mumbai, India. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(1): Jan.-Mar. 2010; Page 102-105.
- Patel VN. Seasonal variations in seawater quality of two tourism affected shores off South Saurashtra Coastline, India. Research J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 7(4): October- December, 2016, 255-258
- Rai KDK. Analysis of the wastewater network rehabilitation following the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake. Available from:http://www.resorgs.org.nz/Publications/student-reports.html
- Christchurch Quake Live. Available from: http://www.canterburyquakelive.co.nz/Browse/
- Agyemang EO et al. Water quality assessment of a wastewater treatment plant in a Ghanian beverage industry. International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering. 2013; 5(5): 272–279.
- Husain A. et al. Analysis of industrial wastewater in Aligarh City. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2014. 6(1): 614–621.
- Christchurch City Council. Wastewater facts and figures. Available from: https://ccc.govt.nz/services/wastewater/about-wastewater/facts-and-figures/
- Stats NZ. Christchurch census data. Available from:http://www.stats.govt.nz/
- Biswas RR. Calibrating wastewater hydraulic model during post-earthquake rapid rebuild works. International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology. 2017; V1 (5): 461–470.
- Biswas RR. Modelling Seismic Effects on a Sewer Network Using Info works ICM. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2017; ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645. in press. (Accepted for publication)
- Biswas RR. Quantifying the Performance of a Post-earthquake, Post-rebuild Wastewater Network Using Hydraulic Models. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2017; ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645. in press. (Accepted for publication)
- Biswas RR and Biswas TR. Hydraulic and Hydrologic Model Calibration and Validation for an Earthquake-Prone Three Waters Network. Unpublished.
- Wastewater Planning User Group. Code of practice for the hydraulic modelling of sewer systems. Version 3.001. Available from:http://www.ciwem.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Code-of-Practice-for-the-Hydraulic-Modelling-of-Sewer-Systems.pdf
- Christchurch City Council. Waterways, Wetlands and Drainage Guide. Available from:https://ccc.govt.nz/environment/water/water-policy-and-strategy/waterways-wetlands-and-drainage-guide/
Abstract Views: 294
PDF Views: 0