Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Evaluation of Diuretic Potential of Amritarishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods in Experimental Albino Rats
The objective of the present study was to evaluate the diuretic potential of Amritarishta-T and Amritarishta-M prepared by traditional and modern methods respectively and its marketed formulation in experimental rats using furosemide (10 mg/kg p.o.) as a standard diuretic drug. Oral administration of Amritarishta-T, Amritarishta-M and its marketed formulation at the dose of 2.0 ml/kg over a period of 5 h showed a significant increase in urine volume as compared to control group. Both types of Amritarishta as Amritarishta-T and Amritarishta-M prepared by traditional and modern methods respectively and its marketed formulation showed significant increase in sodium, potassium and chloride level in urine sample as compared to control group. The maximum diuretic effect was produced by furosemide. Thus, both types of Amritarishta as Amritarishta-T and Amritarishta-M and its marketed formulation showed significant diuretic, natriuretic and kaliuretic effects.
Diuretic Potential, Furosemide, Amritarishta, Natriuretic Effect, Kaliuretic Effect.
- The Ayurvedic Formulary of India, Part-I. 2000, 1st edition, The Controller of Publications, Delhi, 6.
- Kumar S, Verma NS, Pande D and Srivastava PS. In vitro regeneration and screening of berberinein Tinospora cordifolia. Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Science 2000;22:61.
- Biset NG and Nwaiwu J. Quaternary alkaloids of Tinospora species. Planta Medica 1983;48:275-9.
- Maurya R, Wazir V, Tyagi A and Kapil RS. Cordifoliosides A and B, two new phenylpropene disaccharides from Tinospora cordifolia possessing immunostimulant activity. Natural Product Letter 1996;8:7-10.
- Gangan VD, Pradhan P, Sipahimalani AT and Banerji A. Cordifoliosides A, B, C: Norditerpene furan glycosides from Tinospora cordifolia. Phytochemistry 1994; 37:781-6.
- Dixit SN and Khosa RL. Chemical investigation of Tinospora cordifolia. Indian Journal of Applied Chemistry 1971; 34:46-7.
- Maurya R and Handa SS. Tinocordifolin, a sesquiterpene from Tinospora cirdifolia. Phytochemistry 1998; 49:1343-6.
- Kidwai AR, Salooja KC, Sharma VN, Siddiqui S. Chemical examination of Tinospora cordifolia. Journal of Science and Indian Research 1949; 8:115-8.
- Stanely M, Prince P and Menon VP. Antioxidant action of Tinospora cordifolia ischolar_main extract in alloxan diabetic rats. Phytotherapy Research 2001; 15:213-8.
- Mehrotra R, Katiyar CK and Gupta AP. Hepatoprotective compositions and composition for treatment of conditions related to hepatitis-B and E infection. US Patent 749296. 2000.
- Prince PS and Menon VP. Antioxidant activity of Tinospora cordifolia ischolar_mains in experimental diabetes. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 1999; 65:277-81.
- Ikram M, Khattak SG and Gilani SN. Antipyretic studies on some indigenous Pakistani medicinal plants. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 1987; 19:185-92.
- Manjrekar PN, Jolly CI and Narayanan S. Comparative studies of immunomodulatory activity of Tinospora cordifolia and Tinospora sinensis. Fitoterapia 2000;71:254-7.
- Jagetia GC, Nayak V and Vidyasagar MS. Evaluation of the antineoplastic activity of guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) in cultured HeLa cells. Cancer Letter 1998; 127:71-82.
- Mishra S. Bhaisazya Kalpana Vigyan. Varanasi, India: Chaukambha Surbharati Prakashan; 2005.p. 253-254.
- Alam M, Radhamani S, Ali U and Purushottam KK. Microbiological Screening of Dhataki flowers. Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Siddha 1984; 2(4):371-375.
- Lipschitz WL, Hadidian Z, Kerpcsar A. Bioassay of Diuretics. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 1943; 79: 97-110.
- Afzal M, Khan NA, Ghufran A, Iqbal A, Inamuddin M. Diuretic and nephroprotective effect of Jawarish Zarooni Sada - a polyherbal Unani formulation. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2004;91:219-223.
- Loew D, Heimsoth V, Erwin K, Schilcher H. 1991. Diureticos: Quimica, Farmacologiay Therapeutica incluida Fitoterapia, Barcelona, Salvat Editores S.A.:270.
- Das PK, Goswami S, Chinniah A. Woodfordia fruticosa: Traditional uses and recent findings. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2007; 110:189-199.
- Hollman PCH, Katan MB. Dietary Flavonoids: Intake, Health effects and bioavailability. Food and Chemical Toxicology 1999; 37:937-942.
Abstract Views: 562
PDF Views: 0