Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Phytochemical Screening of Components Present Floral Essential Oil of an Indigenous Variety of Lantana camara, Linn (Verbenaceae)
Lantana camara, Linn (Verbenaceae), being an indigenous weed of Western Odisha, was selected for phytochemical screening of essential oil components present in fresh flowers of an indigenous variety of Lantana camara Linn., (Verbenaceae) grown as wild in Western Odisha, India. The pharmacognostical study was carried out and confirmed the presence of aromatic essential oil in the floral extract. The essential oil was hydrodistilled by using Clevengers’ apparatus. The hydrodistillated essential oil was analysed by using Gas liquid chromatographic and mass spectrophotometric technique. The GC-MS chromatogram illustrated elution of 25 number of components (87.36% in to to). ƍ-Himachalene was detected in highest (31.29%) amount. The components were belonging to class of monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, terpinenes, Allyl bromides, methanol. A cardiac glycoside, Gitoxigenin (4.14%) was also identified in the chromatogram.
Lantana camara, Indigenous Weed, GC-MS, Essential Oil Constituents.
- Jain S, Itoria P, Joshi A. and Dubey BK. Pharmacognosty and phytochemical evaluation and antipyretic activity of leaves of Lantana camara Linn.International journal of Biomedical and Advance Research. 2011; 2(8)
- Stepp JR, Moerman DE. J Ethnopharmacol. 2001 ;75(1):1923. The importance of weeds in ethnopharmacology.
- Acamovic T, Brooker JD. Biochemistry of plant secondary metabolites and their effects in animals. Proc Nutr Soc. 2005 ;64(3):40312.
- Shamim QM, Jitendra P, Reddy VA, Safiullah S and Mohapatra P. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmadynamics.2010:2(2);183-186.
- Banu KS, Cathrine L General Techniques Involved in Phytochemical Analysis International Journal of Advanced Research in Chemical Science (IJARCS)2015; 2 (4): 25-32
- Tiwari VJ. Assessment of validity of Ethnopharmacological uses of medicinal plants used by Tribal People of Gadchiroli District of Maharashtra state, India. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.2017:9 (1); 8-16.
- Stepp JR The role of weeds as sources of pharmaceuticals. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;92(23): 1636.
- Arulmathi R, Sudarmani DNP, Rajagopal K and, Nagarajan, T. Screening and Evaluation of Invasive Weeds against Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Mtcc 3541) for Quorum Sensing Interference and its Free Radical Scavenging. RJPT: 2017: 10(2); 525-528
- Elansary HO, Salem MZM, Asmawy NA, Yacout MM. Chemical Composition, Antibacterial and Antioxidant Activities of Leaves Essential Oils from Syzygium cumini L., Cupressus sempervirens L. and Lantana camara L. from Egypt Journal of Agricultural Science. 2012: 4 (10); 144-152.
- Singh, RK, Tiwari B, Sharma, U. and Singh SP. Chemival composition of Lantana camara fruit essential oil. Asian Journal of Chemistry, 2012; 24 (12); 5955-5956.
- Salada JT, Lotis M, Balala and Vasquez EA. Phytochemical and antibacterial studies of Lantana camara L. leaf fraction and essential oil. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2015: 5 (3), 2250-3153.
- Kumari C and Meenatchi P. GC-MS analysis of phyto-constituents and antimicrobial activity of hexane extract of Lanatana camara Linn.RJPT. 2017; 9(2);115-120.
- Pattnaik S, Subramanyam VR, Kole CR, antifungal activity of essential oils from Cymbopogon: Inter and Intraspecific differences, 1999 Cytobios:97 (386): 1539.
- Gersbach PV, wyllie SG, Sarafis V. A new histochemical method for localization of the site of monoterpene phenol accumulation in plant secretory structures. Annals of Botany.2001. 88: 521-525 doi:10.1006/anbo.2001.1480
- Moustafa MM, Hesham A EI- L, Quraishi MS, Alrumman SA. Variations in genetic and chemical constituents of Ziziphus spina-christi L. populations grown at various altitudinal zonation up to 2227 m height. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, 2016: 14; 349–362
- Dhifi W, Bellili S, Jazi S, Bahloul N, Mnif W. Essential oils chemical charcahterisation and investigation of some biological activities: A critical review. Medicine 2016: 3 (25). doi:10.3390/medicines3040025
- Fillhoa JMTA, Araujoa LdaC, Oliveiraa, AP, Guimaraesa AL, Silvaa S, Cavalcantib LS, Lucchesec AM, Jackson RG, Almeida da S, Edigenia C. da C, Ara. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oil from leaves of Croton heliotropiifolius in different seasons of the year. 2017. Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy (Article in press).
- Das K, Krishna P, Sarkar A, Ilangovan SS and Sen S. A review on pharmacological properties of Solanum tuberosum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017:10(5); 1517-1522.
- Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB, Pharmacognosy (I&II), 4th Edition, published by Nirali Prakashan, Pune, India.
- Parthasarathy R, R Ilavarasan R and Karrunakaran CM. Pharmacognostical Studies on Thespesia populnea Bark.RJPP. 2009:1 (2);128-131.
- Prasad A, Rajendra Prasad B, Krishna Prasad D, Shetty P, Sunil Kumar KN. GC-MS Compositional Analysis of Essential Oil of Leaf and Fruit Rind of Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr. from Coastal Karnataka, India D. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2016: 6 (05); 068-072.
- Sohani NZ, Hojjati, M and Ángel A. Carbonell-Barrachina bioactivity of Lantana camara L. ESSENTIAL OIL AGAINST Callosobruchus maculatus (FABRICIUS). Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research 2011; 72(4), 502-506
- Gupta V, Bansal P, Kumar P and Kaur G. Pharmacopoeial Standards and Pharmacognostical Studies of Leaves of Citrus paradisi Var. Foster.RJPP 2010:2 (2); 140-143.
- Sanal Kumar MG, Nandakumar S, Bini B, Mahitha. MS Concentration Study of Antimicrobial Activity with Selected Oral Cleansers on Oral Microflora. RJPT. 2016: 9 (12); 2241-2245.
- Passos JL, Barbosa LCA, Antonio Jacinto Demuner AJ, Alvarenga IS, Silva CMda and Robert Weingart Barreto RW. Chemical Characterization of Volatile Compounds of Lantana camara L. and L. radula Sw. and Their Antifungal ActivityMolecules 2012, 17, 11447-11455; doi:10.3390/molecules171011447
- Sousa EO, Almeida TS, Menezes IRA, Rodrigues FFG, Campos AR, Lima SG and Costa JGMda. Chemical Composition of Essential Oil of Lantana camara L. (Verbenaceae) and Synergistic Effect of the Aminoglycosides Gentamicin and AmikacinRec. Nat. Prod. 2012;6(2);144-150
- Chowdhury JU, Nandi NC. And Bhuiyan MJICHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF LEAF ESSENTIAL OIL OF LANTANA CAMARA L. FROM Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Bot. 2007; 36(2): 193-194.
- Machado RRP, Júnior WV, Bernhard Lesche B, Coimbra ES. de Souza NB, Abramo C, Soares GLG, Auxiliadora, M, Kaplan, C. Essential oil from leaves of Lantana camara: a potential source of medicine against leishmaniasis Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, 2012; 22(5): 1011-1017
- Barreto FS, Sousa EO, Campos AR, Costa JGM, Rodrigues FFG. Antibacterial Activity of Lantana camara Linn and Lantana montevidensis Brig Extracts from Cariri-Ceará, Brazil J Young Pharm: 2 (1); 42-44.
- Akhtar MS, Ali M, Madhurima, Showkat R. Mir SR Chemical Composition of Essential Oil of Lantana indica Roxb. Leaves, Journal of essential oil research, 2006; 18 (6):611-612
- Jawonisi IO, and Adoga GI. Chemical Constituents of Essential Oil of Lantana camara Linn. Leaves British Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 2013; 4(4): 155-157.
- Zhu F, Lu WH, Pan JH, Huang MZ, Wu JS, Chemical Composition and Antibacterial Activity of Essential Oils from the Leaves, Fruits and Stems of Lantana camara L. from the South China, Advanced Materials Research, 2013: 781-784; 1060-1063.
- Uthaman A, Sreesha N. and Nair, SN A Review on Ten Sacred Flowers in Kerala: Dasapushpam, RJPT, 2017: 10 (5); 1555-1562.
- May P, Cotton S. Molecules that amaze us, CRC press, Taylor and Francis group, 2015.
- Khairnar A and Jamdade, S. Prospective Cross-Sectional Observational Study on Evaluation of Drug Utilization 90% Study in Cardiovascular Diseases, RJPT.2014: 7 (9); 981-986.
Abstract Views: 518
PDF Views: 0