Open Access Subscription Access
A Review on Supply Chain Management (SCM) by SMEs as a Strategy to Achieve Global Competitiveness
Small and medium enterprises play a vital role in the economy worldwide as they provide great opportunities for employment. Unfortunately, research shows that a very small percentage of SMEs scale upto the next levels and become large scale enterprises. This is due to several inherent issues and challenges of these enterprises and lack of support from stakeholders on many occasions. This appears to be a global phenomenon and the situation is similar in India too. For SMEs to achieve the global competitiveness, it is observed by researchers that they need to upgrade their technology and strategies in many aspects of managing their enterprises. Supply chain management is found to be one of the best alternatives to enable them to become globally competitive and scale up the enterprise to the higher levels. This study focuses on researchers on issues and challenges faced by SMEs in the implementation of SCM, and how SCM can be useful to SMEs for becoming globally competitive.
SME, SCM, Global Competitiveness, Stake Holders.
- Bala Subrahmanya, (2007), "Development strategies for Indian SMEs: Promoting Linkages with Global transnational Corporations", Management Research News, Vol. 30 No. 10, 2007.
- Bennett, D. and O'Kane, J. (2006), "Achieving business excellence through synchronous supply in the automotive sector", Benchmarking: An International Journal, Vol. 13 Nos ½.
- Bharadwaj, Sambamurthy, V., A. and Grover, V. (2003), "Shaping agility through digital options: reconceptualizing the role of information technology in contemporary firms", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 27 No. 2,
- Cheminade, C. and Vang, J. (2008), "Globalisation of knowledge production and regional innovation policy: supporting specialized hubs in the Bangalore software industry", Research Policy, Vol. 37.
- Denis, L. and Bourgault, M. (2003), "Linking manufacturing improvement programs to the competitive priorities of Canadian SMEs", Technovation, Vol. 23 No. 8, pp. 705-15
- Ellram, L.M. and Cooper, M.C. (1990), "Supply chain management, partnerships, and the shipper:third party relationship", The International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 1 No. 2.
- Gabriel Baffour Awuah et al. (2011), "Impact of globalization The ability of less developed countries' (LDCs') firms to cope with opportunities and challenges", European Business Review, Vol. 23, No.1.
- Gonzalo Maldonado-Guzman, Octavio Hernandez Castorena and Luis Aguilera-Enriquez, (2012), "The Relationship between Production Process and Competitiveness Level in Mexican SMEs: An empirical study", ACR Vol. 20 (3&4).
- Guillermo Vazquez- Avila, (2012), "Impact of Knowledge Management and Intellectual Capital on Competitiveness of SMEs Manufacturing in the Western Region of Mexico", CF Vol. 10 (1)
- Hatice Calypynar (2007), "A Theoretical Model Proposal in Supply Chain Management for Turkish SMEs", Problems and Perspectives in Management, Vol. 5, Iss. 2
- Hong, P. and Jeong, J. (2006), "Supply chain management practices of SMEs: from a business growth perspective", Journal of Enterprise Information Management, Vol. 19 No. 3.
- James K. Higginson, Ashraful Alam, (1997),"Supply Chain Management Techniques in Medium-to-Small Manufacturing Firms", The International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 8 Iss: 2.
- Jitesh Thakkar, Arun Kanda, S.G. Deshmukh, (2012),"Supply chain issues in Indian manufacturing SMEs: insights from six case studies", Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 23 Iss: 5.
- Johansen, J. and Riis, J.O. (2005), "The interactive firm – towards a new paradigm. A framework for the strategic positioning of the industrial company of the future", International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 25 No. 2.
- Kumar, S., and Phrommathade, P. (2006), Improving a manufacturing process by mapping and simulation of critical operations. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17 (1).
- Lenny S.C., Koh, Mehmet Demirbag, Erkan Bayraktar, Ekrem Tatoglu, Selim Zaim, (2007),"The impact of supply chain management practices on performance of SMEs", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 107 Iss: 1
- Lim, J. S., Sharkey, T. W, and Heinrichs, J. H. (2006), Strategic impact of new product development on export involvement. European Journal of Marketing, 40 (1/2).
- Mario, M.A. Alberto Martínez Rojas et al., (2013), "Innovation and Competitiveness in SMEs: The Local Experience in San Luis Potosi, Mexico", International Journal of Business and Social Science Vol. 4 No. 15 [Special Issue - November 2013).
- Martin Christopher and Matthias Holweg (2011), "Supply Chain 2.0: managing supply chains in the era of turbulence", International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 41 No. 1.
- Mistry, J.J. (2006), "Origins of profitability through JIT process in supply chain", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 105 No. 6.
- Muhammad, Mohd Zulkifli, (2010), "Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Competing in the Global Business Environment: A Case of Malaysia", International Business Research, Vol. 3, No. 1.
- Muscatello, J.R., Small, M.H. and Chen, L.J. (2003), "Implementation ERP in small and midsize manufacturing firms", International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 23 No. 8.
- Narula, R. (2004), "R&D collaboration by SMEs: new opportunities and limitations in the face of globalisation", Technovation, Vol. 24 No. 2.
- Neil Towers, Bernard Burnes, (2008),"A composite framework of supply chain management and enterprise planning for small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises", Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 13 Iss: 5.
- Rajesh K. Singh and Suresh K. Garg and S.G. Deshmukh, (2008), "Competency and Performance analysis of Indian SMEs and large organizations: An exploratory study", Competitiveness Review: An International Business Journal, Vol. 18 No. 4.
- Rahman, S. (2001), "A comparative study of TQM practice and organizational performance of SMEs with and without ISO 9000 certification", International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, Vol. 18 No. 1.
- Raymond, L. and Croteau, A.M. (2006), "Enabling the strategic development of SMEs through advanced manufacturing systems", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 106 No. 7.
- Sharma, Milind Kumar, Bhagwat, Rajat. (2006),"Practice of information systems: Evidence from select Indian SMEs", Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 17 Iss: 2
- Samaranayake, (2005), "A conceptual framework for supply chain management: a structural integration", Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 10 No. 1.
- Sahay, B. S., Cavale, V. and Mohan, R. (2003). "The Indian supply chain architecture", Supply Chain management: An International Journal, 8 (2).
- Seuring S. Integrated Chain Management and Supply Chain Management Comparative Analysis and Illustrative Cases//Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Sheu, C., Yen, H. R., and Chae, B. (2006), Determinants of supplier-retailer collaboration: evidence from an international study. Journal of Operations & Production Management, 26 (1).
- Simchi-Levi, D., Kaminsky, P. and Simchi-Levi, E. (2013), Designing and Managing the Supply Chain: Concepts, Strategies, and Case Studies, Irwin McGraw-Hill, Boston, M.A.
- Singh, R.K., Garg, S.K. and Deshmukh, S.G. (2005), "Diagnosis and initiatives for improving competitiveness: a case of SME", Productivity, Vol. 45 No. 4.
- Terje I. Valand and Morten Heides, (2007), "Can the SME survive the supply chain challenge?", Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 12 No. 1
- Tresca Roberta (2013), "Global Business Networks and the Competitiveness of SMEs", Symphonya-Emerging Issues in Management (symphonya.unimib.it), n. 2.
Abstract Views: 320
PDF Views: 36