Open Access Subscription Access
An Empirical Study on Investors Behavior towards Mutual Funds Investment
In India, an individual investor generally invests their money in bank deposits, which do not offer a hedge against inflation and often have negative real returns due to inflation. The last few years have been very significant for the Indian mutual fund industry in terms of expansion and avenue for investments. But still, mutual funds investments have not been a favorable investment options as compared to other investment options. Thus, it is a cause of concern to the financial market and portfolio managers. This calls for better understanding of the investment behavioral patterns of mutual funds investors. In comparison to Asset under management (Aum) world wide, India ranks much below (World Bank, 2017). This research investigates Investment Behavior of selected sample drawn from Delhi NCR to find out factors that influence investors’ choice of mutual funds. Seventeen important factors have been chosen from prior researches reviewed here in this area. Then statistical tests such as “Chi square” and “t” tests were carried out. The study found that demographic factors like age, education, income and savings shape the investment behavior but not all factors specific to different mutual fund unit selected for analysis have significant individual influence on investment behavior of the sample investors.
Mutual Funds, Asset Under Management, Investment Behavior.
- Chandra, P. (2000), The Investment Game: How to Win. New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill.
- Chawla, D. (2014), An empirical analysis of factors influencing investment in mutual funds in India. Global Business Review, 15(3), 493503.
- Fatima, Z., & Khan, M. A. A. (2017), A Study of Behavioural Factors Influence on Investment Decision in Mutual Funds-Evidence in Public and Private Banks Mutual Funds. Sumedha Journal of Management, 6(2), 62-74.
- Gupta, A. (2000), Investment Performance of Indian Mutual Funds: An Empirical Study. Finance India, 14(3), 833-866.
- Gupta, N., & Debasish, S. S. (2017), An empirical study on factors affecting mutual fund decision making and their relation with demographic characteristics of retail investors in Odisha. Asian Journal of Research in Business Economics and Management, 7(7), 58-77.
- Kaur, I., & Kaushik, K. P. (2016), Determinants of investment behaviour of investors towards mutual funds. Journal of Indian Business Research.
- Kothari, P. P., & Mindargi, S. C. (2013), A Study of Investors Attitude towards Mutual Fund with Special Reference to Investors in Solapur City. Management Research (IJAFMR), 3(2), 1-12.
- Kumar, P. P. (2019), An analysis of retail mutual fund investors behaviour towards mutual fund investment with special reference to Cochin city, Kerala, India (Doctoral dissertation, Dublin Business School).
- Kumar, V., & Abdulla, P. (2020), Impact Analysis of locality on Investor’s Awareness & sources of information used for Mutual Fund Investment. Studies in Indian Place Names, 40(56), 980989.
- Mishra, R. (2015), Perceptions of investors towards mutual funds: an analytical study in Odisha. International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, 3(7), 4889-4892.
- Ranganathan, K. (2006), A study of fund selection behaviour of individual investors towards mutual funds-with reference to Mumbai city. In Indian Institute of Capital Markets 9th Capital Markets Conference Paper.
- Sharma, N. (2012), Indian Investor's Perception towards Mutual Funds. Business Management Dynamics, 2(2), 01-09
- Walia, N., & Kiran, R. (2009), An analysis of investor’s risk perception towards mutual funds services. International Journal of business and Management, 4(5), 106-120.
- Woerheide, W. (1982), Investor response to suggested criteria for the selection of mutual funds. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 17(1), 129-137.
- Yadav, R. A. & Mishra, B. (1996), Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds: An empirical analysis. MDI Management Journal, 9(2), 117-125.
- https://www.amfiindia.com/investor-corner/ knowledge-center/history-of-MF-india.html#accordion3
- https://www.livemint.com/mutual-fund/mf-news/ mutual-funds-add-around-3-45-lakh-foliosin-sep-total-tally-at-8-56-cr-11571914115155.html
Abstract Views: 212
PDF Views: 105