Open Access Subscription Access
Knowledge Transfer: A Mediation Analysis of Knowledge, Technology and Sustainable Innovation
The study has tested the relationship between information technology based systems, knowledge transfer, and innovation performance in international joint ventures operating in India. The study has its ischolar_mains in the theory of dynamic capabilities. Questionnaire was developed by adapting the standardised scales of the three constructs. It was subjected to a survey from middle and top-level executives of Indian IJVs. Data were analysed using Smart-PLS-3. A significant direct impact of IT-based systems on innovation performance was confirmed. Bootstrapping process has shown the presence of partial mediation between knowledge transfer, IT-based systems and innovation performance in IJVs. Various secondary reports have suggested that innovation is a crucial factor for the growth of Indian economy and Indian economy is now focusing more on improving the innovation ecosystem to become globally competitive. The study has theoretical as well as managerial implications. Managers can identify the areas of IT-based systems to be focused in order to attain sustainable competitive advantage through innovation. Researchers may extend this model to include more relevant variables to make the model more robust, thus opening new avenues for research. Despite the researchers’ best efforts, the study suffers from a few limitations. It is limited in scope, size, place, and time. It is only validated in Indian IJVs context and needs to be checked in other organizational forms and countries to check its generalizability. The study is original in nature. It is among the few studies to establish an empirical link among IT-based systems, knowledge transfer, and innovation in Indian IJVs context.
Dynamic Capabilities, Innovation, International Joint Ventures, IT-Based Systems, Knowledge Transfer.
- Aggarwal, V. and Kapoor, M. (2018), Innovation growth from knowledge transfer in international strategic alliances, Journal of Strategy and Management, 11(4). 483–96.
- Anzola-Román, P., Bayona-Sáez, C., García-Marco, T. and Lazzarotti, V. (2019), Technological proximity and the intensity of collaboration along the innovation funnel: direct and joint effects on innovative performance, Journal of Knowledge Management, 23(5). 931– 952. doi: 10.1108/JKM-10-2018-0640.
- Ashtiani, A. V. (2014), A Study on Knowledge Sharing Practices and Innovation Capabilities: A Social Capital Perspective. A Thesis of the Faculty of business and accountancy, University of Malaya kuala Lumpur.
- Atalay, M. and Sarvan, F. (2014), Knowledge Management Processes in International Joint Ventures: A Case of an Airport Operator Firm, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. Elsevier B.V., 150, pp. 658–667.
- Badawy, T. A. El, Marwan, R. M. and Magdy, M. M. (2015),The Impact of Emerging Technologies on Knowledge Management in Organizations’, International Business Reseach, 8(5). doi: 10.5539/ibr.v8n5p111.
- Barclay, D., Higgins, C. and Thompson, R. (1995), The partial least squares (PLS) approach to casual modeling: personal computer adoption ans use as an Illustration. Technology Studies, Special Issue on Research Methodology, 2,( 2). 285-309.
- Bharadwaj, A. S. (2000), A, Resource-Based Perspective on Information Technology Capability and Firm Performance: An Empirical Investigation, Management information systems, 24(1). 169–196.
- Borges, R., Bernardi, M. and Petrin, R. (2019), Cross-country findings on tacit knowledge sharing: evidence from the Brazilian and Indonesian IT workers, Journal of Knowledge Management, 23(4), pp. 742– 762. doi: 10.1108/JKM-04-2018-0234.
- Chatterjee, S. et al. (2015), Strategic Relevance of Organizational Virtues Enabled by Information Technology in Organizational Innovation, Journal of Management Information Systems, 32(3). 158–196. doi: 10.1080/07421222.2015.1099180.
- Chen, Y.-S., Lin, M.-J. J. and Chang, C.-H. (2009), The positive effects of relationship learning and absorptive capacity on innovation performance and competitive advantage in industrial markets, Industrial Marketing Management, 38(2). 152–158.
- Claver-Cortés, E. et al. (2018, Strategic knowledge management in subsidiaries and MNC performance. The role of the relational context, Journal of Knowledge Management, 22(5). 1153–1175. doi: 10.1108/JKM-07-2017-0305.
- Conner, K. R. and Prahalad, C. K. (1996), A Resource-Based Theory of the Firm: Knowledge Versus Opportunism’, Organization Science, 7(5). 477–501.
- Dave, Meenu, Dave, Mikku and Shishodia, Y. S. (2012),Emerging Trends and Technologies in Knowledge Management : A Holistic Vision’, International Journal of Recent Research and Review, 3(1). 60–67.
- Davenport, T. H., Long, D. W. De and Beers, M. C. (1998), Successful Knowledge Management Projects’, Sloan Management Review, 39(2). 43–57.
- Davenport, T. H. and Prusak, L. (2000), Working Knowledge : How Organizations Manage What They Know’, Ubiquity, Augustvolume. 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1145/347634.348775
- Dawes, J. (2008), Do Data Characteristics Change According to the Number of Scale Points Used? An Experiment Using 5-Point, 7-Point and 10-Point Scales’, International Journal of Market Research, 50(1). 61– 104. doi: 10.1177/147078530805000106.
- Dhanaraj,C, Lyles, M.A., Steensma, H.K., and Tihanyi. L. (2004), Managing Tacit and Explicit Knowledge Transfer in IJVS: The Role of Relational Embeddedness and the Impact on Performance. Journal of International Business Studies 35(5).428442
- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 5223110_Managing_Tacit_and_Explicit_ Knowledge_Transfer_in_IJVS_The_Role_ of_Relational_Embeddedness_and_the_ Impact_on_Performance [accessed May 27 2020].
- Dossani, R. and Kenney, M. (2007), The Next Wave of Globalization: Relocating Service Provision to India, World Development, 35(5). 772–791. doi: 10.1016/j.worlddev.2006.09.014.
- Field, A. (2013), Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS, Discovering Statistics Using SPSS.doi: 10.1234/12345678.
- Field, A. (2017), Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS.
- Glazer, R. (1991), Marketing in an InformationIntensive Environment: Strategic Implications of Knowledge as an Asset, Journal of Marketing, 55(4), p. 1. doi: 10.2307/1251953.
- Hair, J.F., Hult, G.T.M., Ringle, C.M. and Sarstedt, M. (2016), A Primer on Partial Least Squares StructuralEquation Modeling (PLS-SEM)., Sage, Thousand Oaks. doi: 10.1108/EBR-10-2013-0128.
- Hair, J. F. et al. (2012), An assessment of the use of partial least squares structural equation modeling in marketing research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40(3),.414–433. doi: 10.1007/s11747-011-02616.
- Hair, J. F. et al. (2014), Multivariate data analysis, Pearson custom library. doi: 10.1038/259433b0.
- Hair, J. F., Ringle, C. M. and Sarstedt, M. (2011), PLS-SEM: Indeed a Silver Bullet’, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 19(2). 139–152. doi: 10.2753/mtp10696679190202.
- Hair J.F., Black W.C., Babin B.J., A. R. E. (2010), Multivariate Data Analysis’.
- Inkpen, A. C. (2000), Learning Through Joint Ventures: A Framework Of Knowledge Acquisition, Journal of Management Studies, 37(7). 1019–1044.
- Inkpen, A. C. (2008), Managing Knowledge Transfer in International Alliances, Thunderbird International Business Review, 49(5), 630– 631.
- Jarvis, C. B., MacKenzie, S. B. and Podsakoff, P. M. (2003), A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research, Journal of Consumer Research, 30(2). 199–218. doi: 10.1086/376806.
- Killing, P. (1982), How to make a global joint venture work, Harvard Business Review, (May-June), 120–127.
- Lane, P. J., Salk, J. E. and Lyles, M. A. (2001), Absorptive capacity, learning, and performance in international joint ventures, Strategic Management Journal, 22(12).1139–1161.
- Lee, S. M. and Hong, S. (2002), An enterprise wide knowledge management system infrastructure, Industrial Management and Data Systems, 102(1). 17–25.
- Lin, H. (2007) . Knowledge sharing and firm innovation capability : an empirical study, International Journal of Manpower, 28(3).315–332.
- Lyles, M. A. and Salk, J. E. (2007), Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: An empirical examination in the Hungarian context, Journal of International Business Studies, 38(5). 3–18.
- Maryam, A. and Leidner, D. E. (2001), Knowledge management and knowledge management systems: conceptual foundations and research issues, MIS Quarterly, 25(1).107– 136.
- Matricano, D. et al. (2019), Absorbing in-bound knowledge within open innovationprocesses. The case of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Journal of Knowledge Management, 23(4). 786–807. doi: 10.1108/JKM-10-2018-0625.
- Mohammed, A., Elrehail, H. and Ahmad, M. (2019). Knowledge management, decision-making style and organizational performance, Journal of Innovation & Knowledge, 4(2),104–114. doi: 10.1016/j.jik.2017.07.003.
- Nonaka, I. and Takeuchi, H. (1995), The knowledge creation company: how Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation, Oxford University Press.
- Park, C., Vertinsky, I. and Becerra, M. (2015), Transfers of tacit vs . explicit knowledge and performance in international joint ventures : The role of age, International Business Review, 24. 89–101.
- Parul mittal, S. A. (2012), Analysis of FDI Inflows and Outflows in India, International Journal of Business Economics & Management Research, 2(7). 326–332. doi: 10.12720/joams.2.4.326-332.
- Plessis, M. du (2007), The role of knowledge management in innovation’, Journal of knowledge management, 11. 20–29.
- Preacher, K. J. and Hayes, A. F. (2004), SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models, Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 36(4).717–731.
- Rambe, P. and Mbeo, M. A. (2017), Technology Enhanced Knowledge Management Framework for Retaining Research Knowledge among University Academics, Journal of Economics and Behavioral Studies, 9(1). 189–206.
- Ray, S. (2013), Strategic Alliance in India under Globalized Economic Scenario , Advances in Asian Social Science (AASS), 824(2).2167–6429.
- Rhodes, J. et al. (2008), Factors influencing organizational knowledge transfer: implication for corporate performance, Journal of Knowledge Management,12(3).. 84–100.
- Richard, M. (1999), Why Information Technology Inspired But Cannot Deliver Knowledge Management, California Management Review, 41(4).
- Serenko, A. and Dumay, J. C. (2015), Citation classics p,ublished in Knowledge Management journals . Part II : studying research trends and discovering the Google Scholar Effect, Journal of Knowledge Management, 19(6), 1335–1355. doi: 10.1108/JKM-02-2015-0086.
- Sher, P. J. and Lee, V. C. (2003), Information technology as a facilitator for enhancing dynamic capabilities through knowledge management, Information & Management, 41,. 933–945.
- Syed-Ikhsan, S. O. S. and Rowland, F. (2004), Knowledge management in a public organization: A study on the relationship between organizational elements and the performance of knowledge transfer, Journal of Knowledge Management, 8(2).95–111.
- Teece, D. J. (2017), A capability theory of the firm: an economics and (Strategic) management perspective, New Zealand Economic Papers. Taylor & Francis, 51. 1–43.
- Teece, D. J., Pisano, G. and Shuen, A. (1997), Dynamic capabilities and strategic management, Strategic ManagementJournal, 18(7). 509–533.
- Tippins, M. J. et al. (2003), It Competency and Firm Performance : Is Organizational Learning a Missing Link ?, Strategic Management Journal, 24(8). 745–761.
- Tsang, E. W. (1999), A preliminary typology of learning in international strategic alliances, Journal of World Business, 34(3). 211–229.
- Wong, Y. et al. (2003),Organisational learning and the risks of technology transfers in China, Management Research News, 26(12). 1–11. doi: 10.1108/01409170310783682.
- Young-Ybarra, C. and Wiersema, M. (1999), Strategic Flexibility in Information Technology Alliances: The Influence of Transaction Cost Economics and Social Exchange Theory, Organization Science, 10(4). 439–459. doi: 10.1287/ orsc.10.4.439.
- Zahra, S. A., Ireland, R. D. and Hitt, M. A. (2000), International Expansion by New Venture Firms: International Diversity, Mode of Market Entry, Technological Learning, and Performance, The Academy of Management Journal, 43(5). 925–950.
- Zou, T., Ertug, G. and George, G. (2018), The capacity to innovate: a meta-analysis of absorptive capacity, Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice. Routledge, 20(2). 87–121.doi: 10.1080/14479338.2018.1428105.
Abstract Views: 173
PDF Views: 40