Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Attainment of Programme Outcomes through Course Outcomes in Outcome Based Education:A Case Study
In the new Outcome Based Education model as prescribed by National Board of Accreditation (NBA), one of the most important criteria is the Attainment of Programme Outcomes (POs). The Programme Outcomes are specific rather than narrower statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to do upon the graduation. These relate to the skills, knowledge, and behavior that students acquire in their matriculation through the programme. The Programme Outcomes can be attained through the attainment of Course Outcomes of the courses pertaining to that programme. In this paper a sample course viz. Building Enterprise Applications has been selected to demonstrate the process involved in the attainment of Course Outcomes. The contribution of Course Outcomes to Programme Outcomes is also demonstrated.
Outcome Based Education, Course Outcomes, Programme Outcomes.
- National Board of Accreditation Training Material for Evaluators / Stakeholders on Outcome Based Accreditation Process&Parameters.
- Engineering Staff College of India Reading Material on Quality Initiatives in Technical and Higher Educational Institutions.
- National Board of Accreditation website: www.nbaind.org
- Yousef Abosalem -Assessment Techniques and Students'Higher-Order Thinking Skills , International Journal of Secondary Education ISSN:2376-7464 (Print); ISSN: 2376-7472 (Online)
- Cowan, J. (2005) In:Designing assessment to enhance student learning.
- David Boud, Presentation to the Conference 'Effective Assessment at University', University of Queensland, 4-5 November 1998.
- Boud, D. (1995). Enhancing Learning Through Self Assessment. London. Routledge Falmer.
- What Does Research Say About Assessment? R.J. Dietel, J.L. Herman, and R.A. Knuth NCREL, Oak Brook, 1991
- Effective Assessment in a Digital Age: A guide to technology-enhanced assessment and feedback. http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes /elearning/digiassass_eada.pdf [9thAugust 2011].
- Redecker, C., Leis, M., Leendertse,M. Gijsbers, G., Punie,Y.,Kirschner, P. Stoyanov, S. andHoogveld, B. (2010). The Future of Learning: New Ways to Learn New Skills for Future Jobs Results from an online expert consultation.
- Davis MH. (2003) Outcome-based education J Veterinarian Med Educ., 30:258–63
- L S Admuthe, D Y Loni (2016) Course Outcome Program Outcome Mapping Matrix & Attainment Issues and Model Based Solutions for Tier II Category, Journal of Engineering Education Transformations. doi:10.16920/jeet/2016/v0i0/85662.
- S.Y.W. Lam (2009) Outcome-based approach to teaching learning and assessment in geomatics higher education.The HongKong experience SurveyorsKey Role in Accelerated Development FIG Working Week
- SujataWadhwa, Dr.Audre Barlow, Dr. Siddharthsinh J adega (2016) Facilitating Assessments to Foster 21st Century Skills: Towards Technological Terrains, Journal of Engineering Education Transformations, pp. 647-652.
- Crespo, RM Najjar, JDemtl M, Leony D,Neumann S, Oberhuemer P, Totsching M, Simon B, Gutierrez , Delgado Kloos (2010) Aligning Assessment with Learning Outcomes in Outcome-based Education, IEEE Education Engineering, pp. 1239-1246.
Abstract Views: 153
PDF Views: 6