Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Sensory Attributes of the Squash made from Bael and Pineapple
Sensory attributes of the squash prepared from bael (Aegles marmelos) and pineapple (Ananas comusus) fruit juices was evaluated. Fruit juices of ripe bael and pineapple fruits were incorporated for the preparation of the squash at different levels where T0 (100% bael juice), T1 (75% bael and 25% pineapple juice), T2 (70% bael and 30% pineapple juice), T3 (60% bael and 40% pineapple juice) and T4 (50% bael and 50% pineapple juice). Good quality squash can be prepared by blending 70 per cent bael and 30 per cent pineapple fruit juice (T2). Bael and pineapple fruits have good medicinal and nutritional properties like improvement of digestive system, anti-diabetic, pyretic, laxative, antioxidant, etc. It is seen that the organoleptic score of the squash prepared by blending 70 per cent bael and 30 per cent pineapple fruit juice was highest, i.e 7.82, followed by the treatment T1, T3,T0 and T4.
Bael, Pineapple, Squash, Sensory.
- Bharadwaj, R. and Shruti, P. (2011). Juice blendes- A way of utilization of underutilized fruits, vegetables and spices: A review. Critical Rev. Food Sci.&Nutr;., 51(6):563-570.
- Chakraborty, M., Patel, A., Garach, D. and Kamath, J. (2012). Aegles marmelos: A therapeutic boon for human health. Internat. J. Res. Ayurv. & Pharm., 3 (2):159-162.
- Charoensiddhi, S. and Anprung, P. (2008). Characterization of bael fruit hydolysate as affected by enzyme treatment. J. Food Biochem., 34 (6):1249-1267.
- Dahanukar, S., Kulkarni, R. and Rege, N. (2000). Pharmacology of the medicinal plants and natural products. Indian J. Pharm., 32:81-118.
- Dauda, A. (2014). Quality attributes of fruit juices made from blends of indigenous fruit with conventional fruit. Indian J. Res. Agric. & Food Sci., 2 (1):16-20.
- Debnath, P., Dey, P. , Chanda, A. and Bhakta, T. (2012). A survey on pineapple and its medicinal value. Scholars Acad. J. Pharm., 1 (1):24-29.
- Farooq, S. (2005). 555 medicinal plants. Internat. Book Distributor , 40-42pp.
- Fruit Product Order (1955). Specifications for squash.
- Jauhari, O. and Singh, R. (1971). Bael: valuable fruit. Indian J. Hort., 9:48-53.
- Kamalakkanan, N., Stanley, M. and Prince, P. (2005). Antihyperlipidemic effect of Aegles marmelos fruit extract in streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. J. Sci. Food & Agric., 85:569-573.
- Lambole, V. , Krishna, M., Upendra, K., Bhatt, S.K.P. and Vipul, G. (2010). Phytopharmacological properties of Aegle marmelos as a potentilal medicinal tree: An overview. Internat. J. Pharm. & Sci., 5 (2):67-72.
- Maity, P. (2009). Biological activities of crude extracts and chemical constituents of Aegles marmelos. Indian J. Exp. Biol., 47:849-861.
- Nidhi, G., Singh, R. and Rana, M. (2008). Changes in chemical composition of the RTS bael guava blended beverage during storage. J. Food Sci,.&Technol;., 45(4):378-380.
- Paricha, S. (2004).Bael (Aegle marmelos) Natures most natural medicinal fruit.Orissa Rev., 9:16–17.
- Purohit, S.S. and Vyas S.P. (2004). In: Aegle marmelos Correa ex Roxb,(Bael), Medicinal plant cultivation- A scientific approach. Agrobios, Jodhpur, 498-504pp.
- Reuther, W., Webber, H. and Batcher, L. (1967). The Citrus Industry. Univ. California, 1:407-409.
- Shankar, G. and Garg, K.L. (1967). Nutritional value of some important fruits. Handbook of Horticulture, Kitabistan, Allahabad (U.P.) INDIA.
- Sharma, P., Bhatia, V., Bansal, N. and Sharma, A. (2007). A review on bael Tree. National Product Radiance, 6 (2):171-178.
- Sidappa, (1986). Optimization technique. Willay Publishing and Printing Company Limited.
- Sindumathi, G. and Premlatha, M. (2015). Development and storage studies of naturally flavoued papaya-pineapple blended RTS beverages. Internat. J.Sci.& Res., 4 (2):856-860.
- Singh, A., Sharma, H., Kaushal, P. and Upadhay, A.(2014). Bael products processing: A review. African J. Food Sci., 8(5):204-214.
- Tiwari, D. and Deen, B. (2014). Preparation and storage of blended ready to serve beverage from bael and aloe vera. The Bioscan. Internat. J. Quater. J. Life Sci.,10(1):113-116.
- Tochi, B., Wang, Z., Yu, S. and Zang, W. (2008). Therapeutic application of pineapple protease : A review. Pakistan J. Nutr., 7(4):513-520.
Abstract Views: 135
PDF Views: 0