Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Use of Peanut Milk Residue in the Preparation of Cookies
The aim of this study was to assess the effect of substitute peanut milk residue (PMR) flour in place of refined wheat flour (RWF)on the physico-chemical and sensory properties of cookies. Five variations were formed such as C-I (RWF:PMR=90:10), C-II (RWF:PMR=80:20), C-III(RWF:PMR=70:30), C-IV (RWF:PMR=60:40),C-V(RWF:PMR=50:50).The statistical analysis showed that only the parameters of moisture content and carbohydrates were significantly influenced by the amount of peanut milk residue. Through sensory analysis of colour, flavour, texture, taste and appearance, it was found that the best percentage of peanut milk residue substitution was 50 per cent. Though the sensory score for control (100 % RWF) was higher but all the treatments were statistically non-significant. This proposes the use of peanut milk residue may be considered a source of protein as they contain 26g/100g protein.
Peanut Milk Residue, Cookies, Protein.
- AACC (1995). Approved methods of the AACC. American association of cereal chemists. St. Paul, MN, USA.
- Agu, H.O., Ayo, J.A., Paul, A.M. and Folorunsho, F. (2007). Quality characteristics of biscuits made from wheat and African breadfruit (Treculia africana). Nigerian Food J., 25 (2) : 19-27 (www.ajol.info/journals/nifoj) ISSN 0189-7241.
- Agu, H.O., Ezeh, G.C. and Jideani, A.I.O. (2014). Quality assessment of acha based buiscuit improved with bambara nut and unripe plantain. African J. Food Sci., 8(5) : 278-285.
- Aziah Noor, A.A., Mohamad Noor, A.Y. and Ho, L.H. (2012). Physicochemical and organoleptic properties of cookies incorporated with legume flour. Internat. Food Res. J., 19(4) : 1539-1543.
- Beuchat, L.R. (1977). Modification of cookie-baking properties of peanut okara flour by enzymatic and chemical hydrolysis. Cereal Chem., 54(3) : 405-414.
- Chappalwar, V.M., Dayanand Peter, Bobde, H. and John, Steffi M. (2013). Quality characteristics of cookies prepared from oats and finger millet based composite flour. IRACST – Engineering Sci. & Technol.: An Internat. J. (ESTIJ), 3 (4) : 677-683.
- Chetana, R. and Reddy, S.Y. (2004). Development of wadian- a traditional savory with defatted soya. J. Rural Technol., 1 : 172-181.
- Falola, A.O., Olatidoye, O.P., Balogun, I.O. and Opeifa, A.O. (2011). Quality characteristics of cookies produced from composite flours of Cassava and Cucurbita Mixta Seed. J. Agric. & Vet. Sci., 3 : 1-12.
- Ferial, M. Abu-Salem and Azza, A. Abou-Arab (2011). Effect of supplementation of Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranean L.) flour on the quality of biscuits. African J. Food Sci., 5(7) : 376-383.
- Gaydou, E.M., Bianchini, J.P. and Ratovogery, J. (1983). Triterpene alcohols, methyl sterols, sterols and fatty acids five Malagasy legume seed oils. J. Agric. & Food Chem., 31: 833-836.
- Hayek, Saeed A. and Ibrahim, Salam A. (2013). Consumer acceptability of chocolate chip cookies using applesauce as a fat (butter) substitute. Emir. J. Food Agric., 25 (3) : 159-168.
- Hussain, S., Anjum, F.M., Butt, M.S., Issa Khan, M. and Ali Asghar (2006). Physical and sensoric attributes of flaxseed flour supplemented cookies. Turk. J. Biol., 30 : 87-92.
- Kim, N., Kim, Y.J. and Nam, Y.J. (1992). Characteristics and functional properties of protein isolates from various peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) cultivars. J. Food Sci., 57 : 406-410.
- Kiin-Kabari, D.B. and Eke-Ejiofor, J. (2013). Physico-chemical and sensory properties of cakes and cookies produced from composite flours of wheat and plantain.Wudpecker J. Food Technol., 1(1) : 009 - 013.
- Kohajdova, Z., Karovicova, J. and Magala, M. (2013). Rheological and qualitative characteristics of pea flour incorporated cracker biscuits. Croat. J. Food Sci. Technol., 5 (1) : 11-17.
- Lima Helena, BaduaCrustinaFernandes Correa, Orquidea Santos and Lucia de Fatima Henriques Lourenco (2015). Use of agroindustrial waste (acai fibre and glycerol) in the preparation of cookies. J. Food Sci. & Technol., 52 (7) : 4593-4599.
- Mishra, V., Puranik, V., Akhtar, N. and Rai, G.K. (2012). Development and compositional analysis of protien rich soyabean-maize flour blended cookies. J. Food Process Technol., 3 :182. doi:10.4172/2157-7110.1000182.
- Olagunju, A.I. and Ifesan, B.O.T. (2013). Nutritional composition and acceptability of cookies made from wheat flour and germinated sesame (Sesamum indicum) Flour Blends. British J. Appl. Sci. & Technol., 3(4) : 702-713.
- Ory, R.L., Neurcere, N.J., Singh, R. and St. Angelo, A.J. (1970). Stability of peanut proteins to heat and organic solvents. J. Am. Peanut Res. & Educ. Assoc., 2 : 119-128.
- Pasha, I., Rashid, S., Muhammad, A., Sultan, M.T., Qayyum, M.N. and Saeed, F. (2011). Quality evaluation of wheatmungbean flour blends and their utilization in baked products. Pakistan J. Nutri., 10 (4) : 388-392.
- Quinn, M.R. and Beuchat, L.R. (1975). Functional property changes resulting from fungal fermentation of peanut flour. J. Food Sci., 40 : 475-479.
- Ranganna, S. (2000). Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruit and vegetable products. McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Limited, New Delhi.
- Rhee, K.C., Cater, C.M. and Mattil, K.F. (1972). Simultaneous recovery of protein and oil from raw peanuts in an aquous system. J. Food Sci., 37 : 90-93.
- Rhee, K.C., Cater, C.M. and Mattil, K.F. (1973). Effects of processing pH on the properties of peanut protein isolates and oil. Cereal Chem., 50 : 395-404.
- Sadasivam, S. and Manikam, A. (1992). Biochemical methods of agricultural science. Wiley Eastern Ltd., New Delhi.
- Saeed, S., Ahmad, M.M., Kausar, H., Parveen, S., Masih, S. and Salam, A. (2012). Effect of sweet potato flour on quality of cookies. J. Agric. Res., 50(4) : 526-538.
- Santos, A.A.O., Santos, A.J.A.O., Alves, A.R., Santana Silva, J.V. and Marcellini, P.S. (2011). Elaboracao de biscoitos a partir da incorporacao de produtos da mandioca e casca de maracuja (Passiflora edulis Flavicarpa) nafarinha de trigo. Sci. Plena, 7:1–7
- Santos, O.V., Correa, N.C.F., Carvalho, J.R.R.N., Costa, C.E.F., França, L.F. and Lannes, S.C.S. (2013). Comparative parameters of the nutritional contribution and functional claims of Brazil nut kerners, oil and defatted cake. Food Res. Internat., 51:841–847
- Sczesniak, A.S. (2002). Texture is a sensory property. Food Quality & Preference, 13: 215-225.
- Shrestha, A.K. and Noomhorm, A. (2002). Comparison of physic-chemical properties of biscuits supplemented with soy and kinema flours. Internat. J. Food Sci. & Technol., 37 : 361-368.
- Singh, A., Rana, I., Sahi, N.C., Lohani, U.C. and Khan, Chand (2012). Optimization of process variables for preparation of apple Pomace - Black soyflour based biscuits. Internat. J. Food, Agric. & Veteri. Sci., 2 (1) : 101-106.
- Singh, S., Riarand, C.S. and Saxena, D.C. (2008). Effect of incorporating sweetpotato flour to wheat flour on the quality characteristics of cookies. African J. Food Sci., 2 : 065-072, June. Available online http://www.academicjournals.org/ajfs.
- Srivastava, S., Genitha, T.R. and Yadav, V. (2012). Preparation and quality evaluation of flour and biscuit from sweet potato. J. Food Process Technol., 3 (12) : 1 -5.
- Surekha, N., Ravikumar, S., NaikandMythri, S. and Rohini Devi (2013). Barnyard millet (Echinochloa frumentacea Link) Cookies: Development, value addition, consumer acceptability, nutritional and shelf-life evaluation. IOSR J. Environ. Sci., Toxicol. & Food Technol., (IOSR-JESTFT), 7 (3) : 01-10.
- Tai, Y.P. and Young, C.T. (1975). Genetic studies of peanut okara proteins and oils. J. American Oil Chem. Soc., 52: 377-385.
- Timbadiya, P. (2013). Application of peanut okara butter to improve the nutritional quality of cookies. M.Sc. Thesis. College of Agricultural, JAU, Junagadh, GUJARAT (INDIA).
- Ubbor, S.C. and Akobundu, E.N.T. (2009). Quality characteristics of cookies from composite flours of watermelon seed, cassava and wheat. Pakistan J. Nutri., 8 (7): 1097-1102.
- Yeh, J.Y., Resurreccion, A.V.A., Phillips, R.D. and Hung, Y.C. (2002). Overall acceptability and sensory profiles of peanut okara spreads fortified with protein, vitamins and minerals. J. Food Sci., 67(5): 1979-1985.
- Yu, J., Aahmedna M. and Goktepe I. (2007). Peanut protein concentrates: Production and functional properties as affected by processing. Food Chem., 103 : 121-129.
Abstract Views: 182
PDF Views: 0