Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Studies on Shelf-Life of Streptomyces spp. in Different Carrier Materials
Inoculation of bioinoculants in crop cultivation is performing vital role in sustainable agriculture. It is well known that the carrier-based bioinoculants are being very effective as carrier determines the shelf-life of the inoculant. Hence, the selection of superior carrier is very crucial for maintaining shelf-life of the inoculant for the periods of storage and for better performance in the field use. In the present study, the population of Streptomyces violaceusniger was assessed at ten days interval in different carrier materials. The population of S. violaceusniger and Streptomyces exfoliates were observed at the end of 30 d. In addition, the talc based formulation was found to be highly suitable carrier to deliver both S. violaceusniger and S. exfoliatus. The results clearly revealed that the cell densities of S. violaceusniger and S. exfoliatus were high in the nutrient medium supplemented with glycerol when compared to nutrient broth alone.
Shelf-Life, Streptomyces spp.
- Ali, N.I., Siddiqui, I.A., Shoukat, S.S. and Zaki, M.Z. (2001). Survival of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in various carriers for the inhibition of ischolar_main rot - ischolar_main knot disease complex of mung bean. Phytopathologia Mediterranea, 40 : 108-112.
- Boby, V.V. and Bagyaraj, D.J. (2003). Biological control of ischolar_mainrot of Coleus forskohlii Briq. using microbial inoculants. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 19 : 175-180.
- Chatterjee, A., Balasubramanian, V., Vachhani, W.L., Gnanamanickam, S.S. and Chatterjee, A.K. (1996). Isolation of ant mutants of Pseudomonas fluorescens strain Pf 7-14 altered in antibiotic production, cloning of ant+ DNA and evaluation of the role of antibiotic production in the control of blast and sheath blight of rice. Biol. Cont., 7 : 185-195.
- Gandhi, A. and Saravanakumar, K. (2009). Studies on shelflife of Azospirillum lipferum, Bacillus megaterium and Pseudomonas fluorescens in vermicompost carrier. J. Phytol., 1 (2): 100 - 107.
- Gasoni, L., Cozzi, J. and Kobayashi, K. (1998). Survival of potential biocontrol bacteria in various formulations and their ability to reduce radish damping-off caused by Rhizoctonia solani. J. Plant Dis. Prot., 105 : 41-48.
- Kamalakannan, A. (2004). Development of management strategies for the control of Coleus (Coleus forskohlii) Briq. ischolar_main rot caused by Macrophomina phaseolina (Tassi.) Goid. and Rhizoctonia solani (Kuhn). Ph.D. (Ag). Thesis, Department of Plant Pathology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore – 3.p. 202.
- Kavitha, K. (2004). Molecular and biochemical approaches for the selection of biocontrol agents for the management of turmeric rhizome rot. Ph.D. (Ag.) Thesis, Department of Plant Pathology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore-3.
- Loganathan, M. (2002). Development of bioformulation for the management of major fungal - nematode complex diseases of cabbage and cauliflower in Tamil Nadu. Ph.D. (Ag). Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India. pp.84-89.
- Mercier, J. (2006). Dynamics of foliage and thatch populations of infected Pseudomonas fluorescens and Streptomyces sp. on a fairway turf. Biocontrol, 51 : 323-337.
- Nandakumar, R. (1998). Induction of systemic resistance in rice with fluorescent pseudomonads for the management of sheath blight disease. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India, 105 p.
- Nandakumar, R., Babu, S., Viswanathan, R., Raguchander, T. and Samiyappan, R. (2001). Induction of systemic resistance in rice against sheath blight disease by plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. Soil Biol. Biochem., 33: 603-612.
- Nayar, K. (1996). Development and evaluation of a biopesticide formulation for control of foliar disease of rice. Ph.D. Thesis, TNAU, Coimbatore-3, India. 223 p.
- Papavizas, G.C., Dann, M.T. and Rastaino, B.J. (1984). Liquid fermentation technology for experimental production of biocontrol fungi. Phytopathol., 74 : 1171-75.
- Radja Commare, R., Nandakumar, R., Kandan, A., Suresh, S. Bharathi, M., Raguchander, T. and Samiyappan, R. (2002). Pseudomonas fluorescens based bioformulation for the management of sheath blight disease and leaf folder insect in rice. Crop Protect., 21 (8): 671–677.
- Ramakrishnan, G., Jayarajan, R. and Dhinakaran, D. (1994). Talc based formulation of Trichoderma viride for biocontrol of Macrophomina phaseolina. J. Biol. Control, 8: 41-44.
- Saravanakumar, D. (2002). Rhizobacteria induced systemic resistance against Biotroph (Exobasidium vexans) and Necrotroph (Macrophomina phaseolina) pathogens in tea and green gram. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India. pp.120.
- Subba Rao, N.S. (1999). Soil microbiology. 4th Ed. of soil microorganisms and plant growth. Oxford and IBH, New Delhi, INDIA.
- Tokala, R.K., Strap, J.L., Jung, C.M., Crawford, D.L., Hamby Salove, M., Deobald, L.A., Bailey, J.F. and Morra, M.J. (2002). Novel plant-microbe rhizosphere interaction involving Streptomyces lydicus WYEC-108 and the pea plant (Pisum sativum). Appl. & Environ. Microbiol., 68: 2161¬2171.
- Vidhyasekaran, P. and Muthamilan, M. (1995). Development of formulations of Pseudomonas fluorescens for control of chickpea wilt. Plant Dis., 79 : 782-786.
- Vidhyasekaran, P. and Muthamilan, M. (1999). Evaluation of powder formulation of Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf1 for control of rice sheath blight. Biocontrol Sci. Technol., 9 : 67-74.
- Vidhyasekaran, P., Rabindran, R., Muthamilan, M., Nayar, K., Rajappan, K., Subramanian, N. and Vasumathi, K. (1997). Development of powder formulation of Pseudomonas fluorescens for control of rice blast. Plant Pathol., 46: 291-297.
Abstract Views: 177
PDF Views: 0