Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Food Safety Practices of Women Aged 18-65 Years: A Sample from Turkey
There are different practices for preparing, cooking and storing foods at home. These practices are generally attributed to women and food safety is an important point in these. The study aimed to determine the knowledge and attitudes of women aged 18-65 years in terms of food safety practices and to identify the lacking points. The study was conducted in 2015 in Konya (Turkey). The sample size was considered as 786. A survey including 44 questions prepared was practiced with the participants, using the face-to-face interview method. Descriptive statistics were summarized and appropriate statistical tests were used. The significance level was set as p<0.05. Of the women, 70.9% read the labels of the products. 70.5% of the participants cook every day and 89.1% paid attention to the hygiene of the place where foods are prepared and cooked and the utensils they use. 92.2% of the women did not know that the animal products that are not cooked at the appropriate time and heat could be potentially dangerous. 29.0% cut down the mouldy parts and use the rest. 72.9% of the participants chop the raw meat, chicken and fish, and vegetable and fruit in different chopping boards. The score of the married, the employed and homeowners was higher than others in terms of food safety practices. In this study, beside correct practices in some cases such as buying food, hygiene, there are some wrong practices in cases such as lack of information about potentially dangerous foods, chopping meat products and others on the same chopping board and cutting down the mouldy part of the product and using the rest. Considering the lack of information or mistakes that may result from habits in practice, believed that education and new studies should be carried out in order to inform and raise awareness in society.
Food Safety, Food Storage, Hygiene, Awareness.
- Macera, C.A. Staff of the division of nutrition and physical activity national center for chronic disease prevention and health promotion centers for disease control and prevention. promoting healthy eating and physical activity for a healthier nation. Chronic Dis. Preven. Control. 2010, 1-22.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Methodology and summary-Country profiles on nutrition, physical activity and obesity in the 53 WHO European Region Member States. 2013, 1-18.
- Benmarhnia, T., Dionne, P.A., Tchouaket, É., Fansi, A.K. and Brousselle, A. Investing in a healthy lifestyle strategy: Is it worth it? Int. J. Pub. Heal., 2017, 62, 3-13.
- Story, M., Neumark-Sztainer, D. and French, S. Individual and environmental influences on adolescent eating behaviors. J. Am. Diet. Assoc., 2002, 102, 40-51.
- Patrick, H. and Nicklas, T.A. A review of family and social determinants of children’s eating patterns and diet quality. J. Am. Coll. Nutr., 2005, 24, 83-92.
- Vabo, M. and Hansen, H. The relationship between food preferences and food choice: A theoretical discussion. Int. J. Busin. Soc. Sci., 2014, 5, 1-13.
- Deon, B.C., Medeiros, L.B., de Freitas Saccol, A.L., Hecktheuer, L.H., Saccol, S. and Naissinger, M. Good food preparation practices in households: A review. Trds. Fd. Sci. Technol., 2014, 39, 40-46.
- Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sa?l?k Bilimleri Fakültesi Beslenme ve Diyetetik Bölümü. Türkiye’ye Özgü Besin Ve Beslenme Rehberi (TÖBR). Ankara: Merdiven Reklam Tan?t?m; 2015.
- State of Victoria-Department of Health and Human Services. The Food Act report 2016 - Food safety: Partnering for success. Melbourne. 2018. 1-97.
- Abbas Yousif Ahmed Abusalma, E.E., Abdalla Khalifa, E., Elhassan, A.M., Errami, M., Jodeh, S. and Warad, I. Assessment of unhealthy diets and unsafe foods and its risks to human consumers : Public health approaches to prevent chronic diseases and food poisoning among university of Gezira students , Sudan (2010-2013). Mor. J. Chem., 2015, 3, 432-440.
- Bernhardt, S. and Schlich, E. Impact of different cooking methods on food quality: Retention of lipophilic vitamins in fresh and frozen vegetables. J. Fd. Eng., 2006, 77, 327-333.
- Van Der, H.K., Brunner, T.A. and Siegrist, M. Ready-meal consumption: associations with weight status and cooking skills. Pub. Heal. Nutr., 2011,14, 239-245.
- Önay Derin, D., I?ik, N. and Erdem, N. Konya ?l Merkezinde Ya?ayan Kad?nlar?n Yiyecek Haz?rlama, Pi?irme ve Saklama Uygulamalar? Üzerine Bir Ara?t?rma. Selçuk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi 2016, 35, 87-101.
- Zick, C.D. and Stevens, R.B. Trends in Americans’ food-related time use: 1975-2006. Pub. Heal. Nutr., 2010, 13, 1064-1072.
- Sa?l?k Bakanl??? Sa?l?k Ara?t?rmalar? Genel Müdürlü?ü, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sa?l?k Bilimleri Fakültesi Beslenme ve Diyetetik Bölümü, Ankara Numune E?itim ve Ara?t?rma Hastanesi. Türkiye Beslenme ve Sa?l?k Ara?t?rmas? 2010: Beslenme Durumu ve Al??kanl?klar?n?n De?erlendirilmesi Sonuç Raporu. Ankara: Sa?l?k Bakanl??? Yay?n No: 931; 2014.
- TEMD Obezite, Lipid Metabolizmas?, Hipertansiyon Çal??ma Grubu. Obezite tan? ve tedavi k?lavuzu. Ankara: Miki Matbaac?l?k; 2018. Food Safety Practices of Women Aged 18-65 Years: A Sample from Turkey
- Çiçek, B., Budak, N. and ?ahin, H. Kayseri ?linde Ev Kad?nlar?n?n Besinleri Saklama Uygulamalar?. J. Heal. Sci., 2005, 14, 43-51.
- Reicks, M., Trofholz, A.C., Stang, J.S. and Laska, M.N. Impact of cooking and home food preparation interventions among adults: outcomes and implications forfuture programs. J. Nutr. Educ. Behav., 2014, 46, 259-275.
- Pechey, R. and Monsivais, P. Socioeconomic inequalities in the healthiness of food choices : Exploring the contributions of food expenditures. Am. J. Prev. Med., 2016, 88, 203-209.
- Coleman-Jensen, A., Rabbitt, M.P., Gregory, C.A. and Singh, A. Household food security in the United States in 2015, ERR-215, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, September 2016.
- Crawford, D., Ball, K., Mishra, G., Salmon, J. and Timperio, A. Which food-related behaviours are associated with healthier intakes of fruits and vegetables among women ? Pub. Heal. Nutr., 2007, 10, 256-265.
- Laine, K. The factors influencing the choice of grocery store among finnish consumers [master’s thesis]. Finland: Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, 2014, 1-60.
- Güler B, Özçelik AÖ. Çal??an ve Çal??mayan Kad?nlar?n Yiyecek Sat?n Alma-Haz?rlama Davran??lar? Üzerinde Bir Ara?t?rma. Ankara: Ankara Üniversitesi Bas?mevi; 2002.
- Aras Okumu? B, Bulduk S. Tüketicilerin Süpermarketlerdeki Al??veri? Al??kanl?klar? ve Ürün Seçimini Etkileyen Etmenler. DEÜ SBE Dergisi, 2003, 4, 70-83.
- ?anl?er, N. and ?eren, S. Tüketicilerin besin satin alma bilinçlerinin de?erlendirilmesi. Üçüncü Sektör Kooperatifçilik Dergisi 2005, 149, 12-29.
- Zulqarnain, H., Zafar, A.U. and Shahzad, M. Factors that affect the choice of consumers in selecting retail store, for grocery shopping. Int. J. Multidisciplinary. Current Res., 2015, 3, 1167-1172.
- Biloukha, O.O. and Utermohlen, V. Healthy eating in Ukraine: Attitudes, barriers and information sources. Pub. Heal. Nutr., 2001, 4, 207-215.
- Liu, A. and Niyongira, R. Chinese consumers food purchasing behaviors and awareness of food safety. Fd. Control., 2017, 79, 185-191.
- Salicik, D. and Y?ld?r?m Kumral, A. Bursa ?li Kentsel Alan?nda Tüketicilerin Güvenilir G?da Tüketimine Yönelik Tutumlar?n?n Belirlenmesi. Uludag Üniv. Ziraat Fak. Derg., 2017, 31.
- Satia, J.A., Galanko, J.A. and Neuhouser, M.L. Food nutrition label use is associated with demographic, behavioral, and psychosocial factors and dietary intake among African Americans in North Carolina. J. Am. Diet. Assoc., 2005, 105, 392-402.
- Topuzo?lu, A., H?d?ro?lu, S., Ay, P., Önsüz, F. and ?ki???k, H. Tüketicilerin G?da Ürünleri ile ?lgili Bilgi Düzeyleri ve Sa?l?k Risklerine Kar?? Tutumlar?. TSK Koruyucu Hekimlik Bülteni, 2007, 6, 253-258.
- Lomolino, G., Crapisi, A. and Cagnin, M. Study of elements concentrations of European seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax) fillets after cooking on steel, cast iron, teflon, aluminum and ceramic pots. Int. J. Gastron. Fd. Sci., 2016, 5, 1-9.
- Martínez-gomez, J. and Guerrón, G.C.R.A. Corrosion analysis in different cookware materials. IJETT., 2016, 34, 389-393.
- Ipsos-Reid Corporation. Consumer perceptions of food safety and quality. Canada: Ipsos-Reid Corporation; 2005, 1-16.
- Jayashree, G.S., Reshma, P., Varsha, V.M. and Mrunalini, G.M. Cooking practices and food intake pattern amongst adult women in Pune city. NJCM., 2012, 3, 252-254.
- Tiwari, A., Aggarwal, A., Tang, W. and Drewnowski, A. Cooking at home : A strategy to comply with. Am. J. Prev. Med., 2017, 52, 616-624.
- Virudachalam, S., Long, J.A., Harhay, M.O., Polsky, D.E. and Feudtner, C. Prevalence and patterns of cooking dinner at home in the USA : National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007- 2008. Pub. Heal. Nutr., 2013, 17, 1022-1030.
- Scott, A.R., Pope, P.E. and Thompson, B.M. Consumer’s fresh produce food safety practices: Outcomes of a fresh produce safety education program. J. Fd. Sci. Educ., 2009, 8, 8-12.
Abstract Views: 84
PDF Views: 1