Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Chocolate as Prebiotic and Probiotic Delivery Vehicle
In today’s world, food, besides their basic role in nutrition, has to meet additional aspects such as maintenance of health and to counteract diseases. Scientific research refers to health benefits of probiotics and prebiotics in human nutrition. An increasing demand of consumers for foodstuffs supplemented with live probiotic bacteria, gave rise to studies on the development of foods with these microorganisms. However, the possible applications of probiotics in non-dairy food products have not studied well. This study explores the new product, chocolate as a delivery vehicle for pre and probiotics. Probiotic chocolates were made using microencapsulated Lactobacillus strains along with fruit pulp to serve as prebiotics. The confirmatory tests for probiotics, sensory properties and shelf life were studied. The results revealed that the probiotic chocolate prepared with the incorporation of fruit extract like Passion fruit and Strawberry fruit rated the maximum by the consumers through sensory evaluation and the product has shelf-life of twenty days at room temperature without losing any organoleptic properties
Probiotics, Prebiotics, Sensory Evaluation, Chocolate, Micro Organisms.
- Markowiak, P. and ÅšliÅ¼ewska, K. Effects of probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics on human health. Nutrients, 2017, 9, 1-30.
- Somnath, De, Pramanik, A., Das, A.K.R., Paul S., Jana, S. and Pramanik, P. Isolation and characterization of Lactobacillus spp. from curd and its pharmacological application in probiotic chocolate. Journal of Phytopharmacology, 2017, 6, 335-339.
- Somnath, De, Sena S., Bhowmik, I., Maity, S. and Bhowmik, S. Isolation, Characterisation and Identification of Lactobacilli spp. and study of its pharmacological activity in vitro. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, 2016, 7, 14296-14298.
- Fenster, K., Barbara, F., Chris, H., Connie, W., Rune, R.L. and Arthur, O. The production and delivery of probiotics. A Review of a Practical Approach. Microorganisms, 2019, 7, 1-16.
- Homayouni, A., Roudbaneh, M.M., Tabrizian, V.G., Javadi, M., Harati, N., Rad, H.H. and Kasaie Z. Chocolate as a probiotic carrier food - A Review. International .Journal of Probiotics and Prebiotics, 2016, 11, 37â€“42.
- Bhakta, S., Agrawal, A. and Mukherjee A. Probiotic chocolate: Our lab experience. International. Journal of Advanced Scientific and Engineering Technology, 2018, 6, 47-49.
- Forhad, M.H., Rahman, K.S.M., Rahman, S.M., Karim, F. and Biswas, K.C. Probiotic properties analysis of isolated lactic acid bacteria from buffalo milk. Archives in Clinical Microbiology, 2015, 7, 1-6.
- Deshpande, H.W., Kharat, V.T., Katke, S.D. and Jadhav V.B. Studies on process standardization and sensory evaluation of probiotic chocolate. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Science, 2019, 8, 1527-1534.
- Menconi A, Kallapura G, Latorre JD, Mogan MJ, Pumford NR, Hargis BM, Tellez G. Identification and characterization of lactic acid bacteria in a commercial probiotic culture. Bioscience of Microbiota, Food and Health. 2014; 33, 25â€“30.
- Mannan, S.J., Rezwan, R., Rehman, M.S. and Begum, K. Isolation and biochemical characterization of Lactobacillus species from yogurt and cheese samples in Dhaka Metropolitan area. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal, 2017, 20, 27â€“33.
- Sharma, C., Singh, B.P., Thakur, N., Gulati, S., Gupta, S., Mishra, S.K. and Panwar, H. Antibacterial effects of Lactobacillus isolates of curd and human milk origin against food-borne and human pathogens. 3 Biotech, 2017, 7, 31-35.
- Davoodabadi, A., Dallal, M.M.S., Lashani, E. and Ebrahimi M.T. Antimicrobial activity of Lactobacillus spp. isolated from fecal flora of healthy breast-fed infants against diarrheagenic Escherichia coli. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology, 2015, 8, 1-6.
- Kang, M.S., Lim, H.S., Oh, J.S., Lim, Y.J., Wuertz-Kozak, K., Harro, J.M., and Achermann, Y. Antimicrobial activity of Lactobacillus salivarius and Lactobacillus fermentum against Staphylococcus aureus. Pathogens and Disease, 2017, 75, 1-10.
- Taghizadeh, G., Jahadi, M. and Abbasi, H. Physicochemical properties of probiotic soy milk chocolate mousse during refrigerated storage. Applied Food and Biotechnology, 2018, 5, 59-68.
Abstract Views: 87
PDF Views: 2