Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Tensile, Hardness and Impact Behaviour of Friction Stir Welded Similar and Dissimilar Aluminium Alloys
Nowadays structural application demands two important features in the fabrication and manufacturing of the materials. They are reduction of the weight and as well as cost. Aluminium (Al) alloys are the best choice for controlling these two features and perfectly replacing steel in many industrial applications. The Friction Stir Welding (FSW) technique is a good, powerful, and worthwhile method and one of the leading and appropriate joining techniques for Al alloys. The solid phase nature of this process controls many defects especially melt-related defects. Primarily, it is applied for low melting materials although the applications are extended for high melting point materials including steels and composites. The present study describes the tensile, hardness, and impact characteristics of Friction Stir (FS) welded butt joints of similar aluminium alloy groups of AA6351 with AA6351, AA5083 with AA5083 alloy, and dissimilar aluminium alloy group of Al AA6351 with Al AA5083.
FSW, Aluminium alloys AA6351 and AA5083, Tensile, Hardness, Impact behaviour
- W. Thomas, E. Nicholas, J. Needham, M. Murch, P. Templesmith, C. Dawes (1995); Patent-Friction stir butt welding, I.P.N.PCT/GB92/02203, Editor, GB Patent No. 9125978.8, US Patent No.5.460.317. (1991).
- Yeong-Maw Hwang , Zong-Wei Kang , Yuang – Cherng Chiou , Hung – Hsiou Hsu (2008); Experimental study on temperature distributions within the workpiece during friction stir welding of aluminium alloys, International journal of machine tools & manufacture, 48, pp.778-787.
- G. Gopala Krishna (2019); Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Friction Stir Welded Aluminium AA6351 Alloy Tensile Properties, Indian Welding Journal, 52(3), pp. 57-62.
- K. Elangovan, V. Balasubramanian (2008); Influences of post weld heat treatment on tensile properties of friction stir-welded AA6061 aluminium alloy joints, Material charichtacterization, 59, pp.1168-1177.
- P.M.G.P. Moreira, T. Santos, S.M.O. Tavares, V. RichterTrummer, P. Vilaca, P.M.S.T.de Castro (2009); Mechanical and metallurgical characterization of friction stir welding joints of AA6061-T6 with AA6082T6, Materials and design, 30, pp. 180-187.
- C. Leitao, R.M.Leal, D.M. Rodrigues, A. Loureiro, P. Vilaca (2009); Mechanical behaviour of similar and dissimilar AA5182-H111 and AA6016-T4 thin friction stir welds, Materials and design, 30, pp. 101-108.
- W. Gan, K. Okamoto, S. Hirano, K. Chung, C. Kim, R.H.Wagoner (2008); Properties of friction-stir welded aluminium alloys 6111 and 5083, Journal of engineering materials and technology, 130, pp. 031007-1 – 031007-15.
- W.B. Lee, Y.M. Yeon, S.B. Jung (2003); The improvement of mechanical properties of friction-stirwelded A356 Al alloy, Material science and engineering A, 355, pp.154-159.
- Y. S. Sato, H. Takauchi, S. H. C. Park, H. Kokawa (2005); Characteristics of the kissing-bond in friction stir welded Al alloy 1050, Material science and engineering A, 405, pp. 333-338.
- W. D. Lockwood, D. Borislav, A. P. Reynolds (2002); Mechanical response of friction stir welded AA2024: experiment and modelling, Material science and engineering A, 323, pp. 348-353.
- R. Johnson, P. Threaddill (2003); Friction stir welding of magnesium alloys, Magnesium technology , Edited by Howard I. Kaplan TMS (The minerals, metals & material society), pp.147-152.
- N. Li, T. Y. Pan, R. P. Cooper, D. Q. Houston, Z. Feng and L. Santella (2004); Friction stir welding of magnesium AM60 alloy, Magnesium technology, Edited by Alan A.Luo TMS (The minerals, metals & material society), pp.19-23
- Z. Barlas, H. Uzum (2008); Microstructure and mechanical properties of friction stir butt welded dissimilar Cu/CuZn30 sheets, Journal of achievements in materials and manufacturing engineering, 30(2), pp.182-186.
- R. K. Shukla, P. K. Shah (2009), Experimental investigations of copper joining by friction stir welding, proceedings of the international conference on emerging research and advances in mechanical engineering (ERA 2009), Velammal engineering college, Chennai-600 066, Taminadu, India.Pp.657-660
- T. J. Lienert, W. L. Stellwag, JR., B. B. Grimmett, and R. W. Warke (January 2003), Friction stir welding studies on mild steel, Welding research, Supplement to the welding journal, pp.1s-9s.
- L. Cui, H. Fujii, N. Tsuji and K. Nogi (2007); Friction stir welding of a high carbon steel, Scripta Materialia, 56, pp. 637,640.
- Y. Zhang, Y. S. Sato, H. Kokawa, S. Hwan, C. Park, S. Hirano (2008); Microstructural characteristics andmechanical properties of Ti-6Al-4V friction stir welds, Material science and engineering A, 485, pp. 448-455.
- L. Ceschini, I. Boromei, G. Minak, A. Morri, F. Tarterini (2007), Effect of friction stir welding on microstructure, tensile and fatigue properties of the AA7005/10 vol.%Al2O3p composite, Composites science and technology, 67, pp. 605-615.
- H. K. Durmus, E. ozkaya and C. Meric (2006); The use of neural networks for the prediction of wear loss and surface roughness of AA6351 aluminium alloy, Materials and Design, 27, pp. 156-159
- M. J. Peel, A. Steuwer, P. J. Withers, T. Dickerson, Q. Shi and H. Shercliff 2006; Dissimilar friction stir welds in AA5083-AA6082. Part I:process parameter effects on thermal history and weld properties, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A , 37A, pp. 2183-2193.
- R. Palanivel, P. K. Mathews (2011); The tensile behaviour of friction stir welded dissimilar aluminium
- alloys, Materials and Technology, 6, pp. 623-626.
- C. Leitao, R. M. Leal, D. M. Rodrigues, A. Loureiro, P. Vilaca (2009); Mechanical behaviour of similar and dissimilar AA5182-H111 and AA6016-T4 thin friction stir welds, Materials and Design, 30, pp. 101-108.
- M. Elangovan, S. R. Boopathy, V. Balsubramanian (2015); Microstructure and tensile properties of friction stir welded dissimilar AA6061-AA5086 aluminium alloy joints, Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 25, pp. 1081-1090.
- S. Lomolino, R. Tovo and J. D. Santos (2005), On the fatigue behaviour and design curves of friction stir butt welded Al alloys, International journal of fatigue, 27, pp.305-316.
Abstract Views: 72
PDF Views: 1